Pregnancy

lynnemarie
lynnemarie Member Posts: 37
edited 27. Apr 2009, 15:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I think i might be pregnant, does anyone know if you can take sulfa in pregnancy.

I am due to see my consultant in a few weeks, but didnt want it to effect any potential baby??

thanks
x

Comments

• ldouglas
    ldouglas Member Posts: 8
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    lynnemarie wrote:
    Hi

I think i might be pregnant, does anyone know if you can take sulfa in pregnancy.

I am due to see my consultant in a few weeks, but didnt want it to effect any potential baby??

thanks
    x

Congratulations!!

Consultants views tend to differ, but certainly my consultant and GP were happy for me to be on sulfa while TTC and pregnant (it was their first choice, although I am now on Azathioprine and pregnant which is also safe), there is no harm shown in large numbers of patients who continued to take the drug throught pregnancy.

If you are still worried, why not phone your consultants secretary and see if you can double check he is happy with the situation.

Best of Luck

Lesley
  • lynnemarie
    Thanks for that Lesley

I am very confused, this wasnt planned, i have two other children, 7 and 3, my hubby isnt going to be happy!!

how far on are you?
  • ldouglas
    ldouglas Member Posts: 8
    36 weeks, and counting!!! Its our first, so its all a bit of unkown for us.

Have you only just taken the test, or is it just suspicion that you might be pregnant. You never know, your hubbie might surprise you? It's difficult to know what goes on inside their heads sometimes!!

Hope everything works out for you.

Lesley
  • lynnemarie
    Lesley,

I have sent you a private message

thanks
    x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    i just thought i'd add that before i decided that 2 children were enough for me, i had discussed with my rheumy that i possibley wanted to have another baby, so she put me a sulpha. she said that it would be fine to take whilst pregnant.
    she wouldn't let me take anything else until i was 100% sure i didn't want another baby.
    i hope this helps! x
  • lynnemarie
    Thanks for that, its a great worry off my mind x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Congratulations! I'm sure your hubby will be happy, mines said no more and if it did happen would only be worried if I was incase I got worse. He would only be thinking of me and I'm sure your hubby will be the same. Talk to your Dr to see what's best and safest for you and the baby. Congrats again, I wish it was me!!