Diclofenac + Co-codamil side effects

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 28. Apr 2009, 04:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello all - Well that serves me right for feeling so smug with myself!! I was managing pretty well on the 30/500 cc'ds and diclofenac (diclofenac for about 5+ yrs). The co-dod's werey newish.
I have something to stop me feeling sick with the diclofenac & something else that in theory stops the side effects of co-c.
Cutting it short - I got v bad constipation and really felt lousy. So a trip to A&E last night - no graphics (phew) but its sorted...
Well not quite....
Have also had blood in my pee a couple of times & it showed up on tests at the hospital - so now I am going to see a Urologist. I'm not panicking (honest) but anyone else down this road??????

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can only empathise with the co-codamol induced constipation - but that is bad enough!!

I find that eating at least the recommended 5 a day fruit and veg helps me, but also stuff the GP gives me to take when I am having to take co=co regularly. Fortunately for me, I haven't had to take them to the max dose for a while, and I am glad for that!

hope you get everything sorted, and other than that, sending hugs for you ((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I had to stop taking these two because they really made me suffer and I found (luckily) that Ibuprofen works for my RA just as well.

Have you tried prune juice? My sister who gets constipation (I'm sure she'll thank me for broadcasting this to you all *lol*) swears by half a glass every other day to keep her regular. But you need to be within reasonable distance of a loo once you've drank it - trust me! I've also heard other people recommend this, so it must be good.

And yes, getting your 5 a day and plenty of fibre to keep you on track.

Nx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi

Don't know about the blood bit but the constipation, think everyone could tell a story about that :wink: Lactulose is good but very sweet.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    Blood can show up in urine if you have an infection of the urinery tract. Its treated with antibiotics. It doesn't have to be serious at all, but because an infection can travel to the kidneys if not treated and be painful, its best to get treatment for it. My Mum had that problem with cystitus for years off and on.

It dosn't have to be awful, honest, but do follow it through! :):)
    Love Sue
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies. I'm so glad I posted - sometimes its good to talk about things that we think are embarassing? I had worked myself up into a real state last night.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    I had to stop taking these two because they really made me suffer and I found (luckily) that Ibuprofen works for my RA just as well.

Have you tried prune juice? My sister who gets constipation (I'm sure she'll thank me for broadcasting this to you all *lol*) swears by half a glass every other day to keep her regular. But you need to be within reasonable distance of a loo once you've drank it - trust me! I've also heard other people recommend this, so it must be good.

And yes, getting your 5 a day and plenty of fibre to keep you on track.

Nx
    Oh yes Nina
    I am not too proud to admit I have a bottle of sunsweet in my fridge at this very moment. I learnt my lesson 5 years ago (15 days! :oops: :oops: :shock: ). It even tastes ok.
    Toni x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,i think we can all relate to the constipation it seems to be the norm.with meds.
    i had to come off dicofenic as the gas(well wont go into details but i could clear a room)not very lady like.lol: ibuprofen seems easier on the stomach. i dont have the stomach cramps & agony that went with it. cocodomol & morphine r known to cause constipation :oops:
    i take lactolose too.my diet is high fibre but not good with eating veg(dont like it)& i buy fruit but never eat it.I KNOW I MUST EAT MY FRUIT :roll: my diet is terrible,bowel movements even worse.it causes lower back pain too!!!what we all have to go through ah!!
    dignaty whats that :lol: debsx
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    hi,i think we can all relate to the constipation it seems to be the norm.with meds.
    i had to come off dicofenic as the gas(well wont go into details but i could clear a room)not very lady like.lol: ibuprofen seems easier on the stomach. i dont have the stomach cramps & agony that went with it. cocodomol & morphine r known to cause constipation :oops:
    i take lactolose too.my diet is high fibre but not good with eating veg(dont like it)& i buy fruit but never eat it.I KNOW I MUST EAT MY FRUIT :roll: my diet is terrible,bowel movements even worse.it causes lower back pain too!!!what we all have to go through ah!!
    dignaty whats that :lol: debsx

yep, can sympathise with the gas...my hubby said it was like the queen mary coming in to dock!!! phuuuurrrrrpppp!!! :oops:
  • dianne2110
    dianne2110 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hello all - Well that serves me right for feeling so smug with myself!! I was managing pretty well on the 30/500 cc'ds and diclofenac (diclofenac for about 5+ yrs). The co-dod's werey newish.
    I have something to stop me feeling sick with the diclofenac & something else that in theory stops the side effects of co-c.
    Cutting it short - I got v bad constipation and really felt lousy. So a trip to A&E last night - no graphics (phew) but its sorted...
    Well not quite....
    Have also had blood in my pee a couple of times & it showed up on tests at the hospital - so now I am going to see a Urologist. I'm not panicking (honest) but anyone else down this road??????

Hi I don't know if this helps but I take c c 30/500 and find that fresh orange with bits in about 2/3 glasses a day works better than the movicol that was prescribed as well. Do you find they make you sleepy.

Hope you find a solution we don't need any more problems do we > lol

love Di :)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mousey,
    That's not nice for you. I am lucky the diclo's have to compete with the IBD and they balance each other out fairly well.

The blood thing may just be cystitis. I hope it all goes well for you. Take care,Cris