Too early to tell?!?

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 28. Apr 2009, 12:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had knee arthriscopy with some repair on thrusday.
I went ot the doctors today to have the dressing changed and badages taken off. I felt free and could at last try and gt it moving and do some more of the exercises the physio recommended.
However, when I bent my knee I felt the exact same pain and clicking feeling I used to get prior to the op. The op was suppose to stop this.
Also, as the swelling is going down ad I am noticing the bruising coming out I am feeling pain all in the inside of my knee. But the thing is, he problem I had was the outside of my knee.
Why do I get this funny (not really funny) that the surgeon hasnt done what I oresume he was suppose to? Could he have got it wrong or is this normal? Is it too soon to tell??
I am quite worried.

Comments

• colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    I had knee arthriscopy with some repair on thrusday.
    I went ot the doctors today to have the dressing changed and badages taken off. I felt free and could at last try and gt it moving and do some more of the exercises the physio recommended.
    However, when I bent my knee I felt the exact same pain and clicking feeling I used to get prior to the op. The op was suppose to stop this.
    Also, as the swelling is going down ad I am noticing the bruising coming out I am feeling pain all in the inside of my knee. But the thing is, he problem I had was the outside of my knee.
    Why do I get this funny (not really funny) that the surgeon hasnt done what I oresume he was suppose to? Could he have got it wrong or is this normal? Is it too soon to tell??
    I am quite worried.

Hi Baily dont know about this so can't coment hope you start feeling better soon and get some benefit from the op
    Colin
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    That sounds like not a very funny feeling, rather a SINKING feeling eh?
    I do hope it IS just too soon to tell, but I am no expert - hoepfully someone with more experience will be along to tell you soon.
    Have you got any more physio apts booked?
    Toni x
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    When I was leaving the hospital they just told me that a physio would phone and arrange an appointment for 2 weeks. I haven't yet had an appointment. A physio did come to see me before the surgery and gave me some exercises to keep doing and showed me how to use the crutches etc.

I am worried because it feels like all the work that was done was on the inside of my knee as that is where I feel more pain and bruising. Yet the problem I had was definately on the outside. I am quite worried.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    Not funny at all. Can you phone the hospital? Do you have a follow-up appointment soon? Perhaps it is normal I haven't had any of these ops, but maybe the knee will settle when the bruising goes. I hope all goes well, and I'd be tempted to ring the hospital and ask about the physio, if nothing else. They may be able to explain the reasons to you. Good luck Love Sue
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Bailey

I have just caught up with this. My advice is not to worry too much. After I had my arthroscopy last Dec. I was convinced that it had made matters worse. The pain seemed to have moved in my knee too, and then I got bursitis in my hip with limping. I hadn't been told to use crutches or a stick, but was told this is routine. I got a huge amount of bruising round my knee.

However, as time went on, and it took much longer than I had been led to believe, I gradually began to feel some benefit from the operation. I now am walking much better, and although my knee is a bit swollen and stiff, it is not as painful as previously. This is despite the fact that I was told after the arthroscopy that the arthritis was much worse than they thought, and they said I would need a knee replacement. I am not rushing into this because at the moment I am feeling reasonably OK.

I had some physio and also acupuncture after the op. but not for a few weeks. This was mainly for the bursistis though. I think you must be patient and give yourself time to heal. Remember that arthroscopy is an invasive op. even if it is classed as minor. Have you read that Anna is also having a few problems? She had her op about the same time as you. You will both probably start to improve soon, but don't overdo things. Do the exercises every day, but take care otherwise. It is very early days yet.

All the best
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bailey :D

It is very early days yet. You have all the bruising to come out too. Take arnica - that helps with the bruising. It does take time. Be patient, difficult though, I know.

All the best
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll try no to worry too much.
    I had the bandages off yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that I only had to incisions and only paper stitiches. there was only a small amount of bruising too! :mrgreen:
    I have decided to give today a go without the crutches as I feel I can put weight through my leg and although it may take a while to walk ormally I feel ready to get it moving.
    I did speak to a guy yesterday who has had this procedure, very similar to what I had done in fact, and he said he had a similar pain afterwards to but that was because they sometimes bend your knee a different angles to get at a certain spot and often end up pulling some other muscles in the process.
    It does feel a lot better today though. I cant wait to start feeling the benefits.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Bailey

I hope you are beginning to feel better today. The paper bits over the wounds should come off easily, I think you will find, even if they look as though they won't. Keep moving, but not too much. Take care,

Joan
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Glad things are more positive for you. :) Advice is always better when it comes with experience, and this site is so good for that...to me your knee also sounded worrying but the people who've had it done know so much more than me. :oops: Love Sue
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thanks for that.
    I'm back on one crutch this afternoon as my hip has started to flare up. I think it's because of the awkward limping motion of trying to walk without them. Quite typical of me I'm afraid. I never know when I've done too much until it is too late!!! I will have to start listening to people a bit more. I keep getting told, you should be resting, you should put your leg up.....
    I have officially retired for the day...PJs on, leg up...
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    I'm glad to hear that you have decided to rest today. I don't think I rested enough, and that was probably why I developed bursitis in my hip 3 days after the arthroscopy. The pain from that was awful and kept me awake every night. Take care as you say that your hip is hurting. It is difficult to get the balance between rest and activity right, but try not to push yourself too hard. I hope you will soon feel better.

Joan :D