Hip Impingement

jackie36
jackie36 Member Posts: 6
edited 30. Apr 2009, 10:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi im new here today. I am curious to know if anyone here allso has a Hip impingement, its a fairly new condition which causes Arthritus. Or anyone got any imformation on this. Would be very greatfull :!:

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,340
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Jackie
    Welcome from me!
    I will have to look that up myself as I haven't heard of it, but maybe some of the other guys have. Usually between us -one of us knows something!! :wink:
    Good to meet you.
    Toni xx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Jackie

Sorry can't offer any help but just wanted to say welcome. Sure someone will know something and be along soon :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    Sorry, I've not heard of it either. Welcome to the site. Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi I have spinal impingement at L3/L4, L4/L5 and S1. With me it means the spine has narrowed and is impinging - pressing on my sciatic nerve. Mines is cause by spinal stenosis which in turn has been caused because my OA of the spine is at end stage. I had Osteomyelitis as a child and in my records from then they were worried about future impingement. Pity they failed to tell me or my parents about it. With me it causes severe sciatica and parathesia, I get pins and needles in my leg and lose the feeling in my leg causing falls. I'm not sure if it's the same thing but I would imagine it is similar. If you have any nerve related pain, see a Dr immediately to get this checked out. An MRI confirmed the impingement for me. Hope that helps.
  • moleymoo
    moleymoo Member Posts: 10
    Hi Jackie,

My husband (31) has an impingement on both hips. Its called FAI. After over a year of pain in knees, groin, physio and a knee arthroscopy etc it was finally diagnosed with the help of an MRI. He has an operation to 'chip' away the nipple on one side of his hip in 6 weeks time and will have the other side done at another time. Please PM me if you wan't to know more. My husband has had to rely on limited sources on the internet as it is such a new found condition.

Please PM me if you have more info or want more info!

Kat :)
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    jackie36 wrote:
    Hi im new here today. I am curious to know if anyone here allso has a Hip impingement, its a fairly new condition which causes Arthritus. Or anyone got any imformation on this. Would be very greatfull :!:

Hi, This is my first posting although I have been a member for over a year. I have also been diagnosed with a femoroacetabular impingement which has also resulted in OA. It has been a long road to get a diagnosis and taken seriously as I was often dismissed as being too young, with the help of my GP it has now been taken seriously.

I had a hip arthroscopy carried out at the end of March and I am now waiting for a date to go in for open hip surgery as the damage to the hip was quite severe.

I agree that there is little known about this condition and only a couple of websites have reference to it. From what I can gather they do not know yet what causes this ( I could be wrong) and I believe that there is currently some clinical research going on.

Hope this helps?
  • jackie36
    jackie36 Member Posts: 6
    annebr wrote:
    jackie36 wrote:

Hi, This is my first posting although I have been a member for over a year. I have also been diagnosed with a femoroacetabular impingement which has also resulted in OA. It has been a long road to get a diagnosis and taken seriously as I was often dismissed as being too young, with the help of my GP it has now been taken seriously.

I had a hip arthroscopy carried out at the end of March and I am now waiting for a date to go in for open hip surgery as the damage to the hip was quite severe.

I agree that there is little known about this condition and only a couple of websites have reference to it. From what I can gather they do not know yet what causes this ( I could be wrong) and I believe that there is currently some clinical research going on.

Hope this helps?

Hi, i didnt realise that there are so many people out there with this FAI, not sure if your interested but i have found a great group on facebook, it has lots of people who allso suffer with this same condition and who have had surgery or are waiting to have surgery like me and you. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.understandingfai.com/&h=ffa9f33f146825d04de3e9f8140b53cf
    Take a look its really interesting.
    My sergon was going to do open hip surgery last year but he said its a year before recovery, so he is waiting for the NHS to fund my key hole surgery to reshape my hip. Hoping he may have a date for me at the end om May when i go. I had the injection 5 wk ago and it hasnt worked this time, so am suffering at the minuite. Hope all goes well for you and stay in touch, we can discuss operations hopefully soon xxx
    Oh almost forgot to say that my sergon is pretty certain that i was born with this condition and it has passed down from generation to generation, as alot of my past relatives have had hip replacements, but back then they didnt have xrays or mri scans and it wasnt heard of as it is a fairly new condition. I have also noticed a lot of people who have this have been very athletic throughout there life. I have never realy been an athletic person at all, apart from running around after my children.

Speak soon Jackie xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    jackie36 wrote:
    annebr wrote:
    jackie36 wrote:

Hope this helps?

Hi, i didnt realise that there are so many people out there with this FAI, not sure if your interested but i have found a great group on facebook, it has lots of people who allso suffer with this same condition and who have had surgery or are waiting to have surgery like me and you. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.understandingfai.com/&h=ffa9f33f146825d04de3e9f8140b53cf
    Take a look its really interesting.
    My sergon was going to do open hip surgery last year but he said its a year before recovery, so he is waiting for the NHS to fund my key hole surgery to reshape my hip. Hoping he may have a date for me at the end om May when i go. I had the injection 5 wk ago and it hasnt worked this time, so am suffering at the minuite. Hope all goes well for you and stay in touch, we can discuss operations hopefully soon xxx
    Oh almost forgot to say that my sergon is pretty certain that i was born with this condition and it has passed down from generation to generation, as alot of my past relatives have had hip replacements, but back then they didnt have xrays or mri scans and it wasnt heard of as it is a fairly new condition. I have also noticed a lot of people who have this have been very athletic throughout there life. I have never realy been an athletic person at all, apart from running around after my children.

Speak soon Jackie xx

Hi, I am not never have been athletic or sporty so really not sure why I have this. The surgery I had last month showed that there was a lot of damage although they can save the ball and socket, which is good. This is the reason for the big op.

I think the fact that I now have OA in the joint doesn't help either.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Anne