High heels; nice skirts etc

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 8. May 2009, 09:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I saw the nicest heels today and I know I couldn't wear them as I have OA in both knees. I so miss wearing lovely shoes and nice skirts etc. I'm stuck with flat shoes - I think high heels make you feel feminine. Now that the summer is nearing I look at my wardrobe and realise I need to look out for pretty sandals; floaty skirts and hope that I don't look too awful walking along with my walking stick!

I put off getting the stick for ages but now that I have one wouldn't be without it. I have dreams of having 'normal' legs again! One day! I saw my GP today and I'm off soon to have more x-rays before she refers me to the Ortho surgeon. I'll know more next month.

I've not been posting recently: I've been on holiday; then we had our kitchen done. We're in the process of decorating the hall and stairs. The carpenter fitted new doors (white ones) last week and my husband's been painting them (they only come primed). I may be allowed to do a bit of painting (as long as I don't have to bend I'll be fine!). After this no more decorating until next year - I'm looking forward to having a normal house again hopefully..by the end of May when the carpets are fitted.

Comments

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

I was wondering why I'd not seen you on here before. Sounds like you've been having a nice busy time. I wouldn't do decorating though - that and gardening is one of the reasons I got married *lol* It swings and roundabouts though because my husband doesn't iron or dust :-)

I know what you mean about high heels. I still have enough good days that I can wear mine (I'm so fond of my sky scraper heels) but I do pay for it! But there are some gorgeous flat shoes out there too.

I personally just live in flip flops from about May to September :-) But I don't know how much support that would give you? Also, I don't know how much support they will give me this year too...

Nx
  • snoops
    snoops Member Posts: 29
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    I saw the nicest heels today and I know I couldn't wear them as I have OA in both knees. I so miss wearing lovely shoes and nice skirts etc. I'm stuck with flat shoes - I think high heels make you feel feminine. Now that the summer is nearing I look at my wardrobe and realise I need to look out for pretty sandals; floaty skirts and hope that I don't look too awful walking along with my walking stick!

I put off getting the stick for ages but now that I have one wouldn't be without it. I have dreams of having 'normal' legs again! One day! I saw my GP today and I'm off soon to have more x-rays before she refers me to the Ortho surgeon. I'll know more next month.

I've not been posting recently: I've been on holiday; then we had our kitchen done. We're in the process of decorating the hall and stairs. The carpenter fitted new doors (white ones) last week and my husband's been painting them (they only come primed). I may be allowed to do a bit of painting (as long as I don't have to bend I'll be fine!). After this no more decorating until next year - I'm looking forward to having a normal house again hopefully..by the end of May when the carpets are fitted.
    Hi Sharmaine,
    I have just been thro the kitchen, new carpet & decor thing. It takes bloomin ages & like you couldn't do much. I got down & painted the skirting boards & felt as tho I had contributed. Mind you don't we feel so guilty not being able to "do" like we used to :( :x . I used to decorate the whole house myself & work. Horrid isn't it!!!
    As for shoes....Well. Don't we keep getting them out & look longingly at them!!! Thinking,....Well maybe sometime I will be able to wear them!!! Shouldn't we just gather them up & put them on ebay!!!!! We would probably buy them all back!!!! :lol: Thank God there are pretty flats to buy but YES 3in heels are SOoooooo feminine!!! :x And at 5ft 2in make me feel 6ft. Why not paint your stick a lovely color. I have seen very pretty sticks with tiny flowers on them. Why don't they make pretty sticks for us women especially the younger ones (yes I know us older ones would love a pretty stick too!!).
    I have waffled enough. I am new to this & getting carried away with being able to share my frustration with this condition with people who understand.
    Good luck in your appoinments. Thinking of you,
    Annxx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

I wondered where you'd gone. Hope you had a nice holiday and came back all tanned and relaxed :) Try sitting on a chair to paint, it does help.

Nice heels and floaty skirts, that's what I dream of now a days. Hope you manage to find some nice sandals, it will make you feel better, funny how that works :)

How are you now, better after your hols I hope.

Love
    Vonski x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    We had a lovely holiday. I put on about 10 pounds which I still haven't shifted. I'm going to join a slimming club this week. It was my birthday in February too and with the money I received from friends and family I put it all to something I really wanted a new computer! It means I don't have to wait to use my hubby's laptop (which he's always on because of work). It's a great present. I may try and write a few stories.

I saw some really pretty sandals and flip flops today. I didn't have time to stop but will make a point of buying 3 pairs: pink; white; blue and I'm going to make sure they are all sparkly! I may invest in a pretty stick - I looked at flowery ones but they were just a bit too flowery for me.

I'm looking forward to choosing a carpet. My husband has refused to get involved. I must have about 10 samples and still can't decide!
    My husband took one look and said they're all the same - they're not! They're different colours (naturals). He says beige is beige! How wrong can he be. Thank goodness my eyes are still ok! I thought about throwing in a bright pink or orange carpet as a joke - may still do it!
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Sharmaine

I wondered where you'd gone. Hope you had a nice holiday and came back all tanned and relaxed :) Try sitting on a chair to paint, it does help.

Nice heels and floaty skirts, that's what I dream of now a days. Hope you manage to find some nice sandals, it will make you feel better, funny how that works :)

How are you now, better after your hols I hope.

Love
    Vonski x
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Just popped in to mention switch sticks - look on internet. They're mail order which may not suit, but the designs are lovely - mine is silver with pink and purple polka dots! :lol: Josie
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    josiec wrote:
    Just popped in to mention switch sticks - look on internet. They're mail order which may not suit, but the designs are lovely - mine is silver with pink and purple polka dots! :lol: Josie

Hi Josie and all
    Just to say i got myself the same stick as you after hearing about them on this site and it just feels so much better using that one rather than the metal ugly one i was using before. Somehow I dont feel so invalided by it :) now as for the shoes........ I thought I was the only one bothered about seemingly trivial things in the greater problems that arthur throws at us, and its comforting to know that you all feel a bit like that too. I dont wear skirts but live in boots and so many of the nice ones have heels. I have quite big feet size 7 , they are very narrow too and trust me flatties do them no favours in the looks department!! :lol::lol:
    love gillx
    ps just as well Imelda Marcos didnt have arthur :lol:
  • ms_seronegative
    ms_seronegative Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello
    I know exactly what you mean about shoes and skirts.
    Does anyone know where you can get shoes that are:
    a. Attractive
    b. Comfortable
    c. Supportive
    d. Go with skirts as well as trousers
    e. Don't cost the earth!
    Very elusive I feel. Anyway, I am going to try and find some tomorrow. If I actually find any I will let you know!
    I have been living in trainers all winter and am quite frankly sick of them.

Arthritis poses so many fashion problems!

Re the painting - if you can perfect the art of painting whilst sitting or lying down (skirting boards), then it can actually be quite satisfying. Something to consider for next time.

Let me know how your shopping for lovely summery outfits progresses.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i thought i'd add that i'd love to dress in feminine high heels etc, but sadly for me it's trainers all the way, i can't wear any of my boots anymore either, i loved my dr martins to!
    i did just treat myself to some new trainers yesterday, i've been wearing the same black pair for about a year, out of the many different styles of trainers i bought my black ones are the only comfy pair, so i'm really hoping the pair i ordered yesterday are comfy.
    they are bright pink and black with a bit of a platform sole, not to much but enough to look truly gorgeous!!! oh and they match my littleones pushchair because it's bright pink and black to (the frame is black so it's not some made rock fram lol), so obviously that was the selling point!!
    it's amazing how much arthur effects our life, something i can never get non arthurs sufferers to understand.x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I've got some fairly comfortable sandles that didn't cost too much but fairly comfortable is the word, after a bit walking my feet hurt, so they have to be worh for 'sitting down' occasions. I've still got, and love to look at my silver strappy sandels with very high, stilleto heels. That was 5 years ago... Never mind, my clumpy soft spunngy soft soles will do AND I can walk in them. :)
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi all I don't have problem letting go of the heels as I am 5'8 although I make sure not to wear flip flops to rheumy appointments anymore as I get told off! Good comfy shoes I get mine from Evans as they are made for the larger lady and are a little bit wider, good for surrounding my rapidly wandering toes!
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Oh good, glad you found the stick site useful!! I too have quite big feet (7 also), and the extra deep NHS trainers do not make them look any more petite!! I actually dreamt that I bought a pair of trainers from a shop a couple of weeks ago- they looked horrid as well, but as I very rarely get shoes from shops at the moment, my brain was obviously processing that (wish I'd had better taste in my choice, though!! :lol: ) I wore my sandals to work today-extra deep so can fit insoles in and one of the kids asked me why I was wearing them on a cold wet day - huh! :shock:
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Guys
    High heels my left foot, what you want is a good pair of boots DMS good old army boots laced up nice and tight to support your ankles. Dont think they will go with skirts but great with khaki trousers.
    Colin
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Guys
    High heels my left foot, what you want is a good pair of boots DMS good old army boots laced up nice and tight to support your ankles. Dont think they will go with skirts but great with khaki trousers.
    Colin

Yeah Colin
    Im picturing my size 7 s in them now!! Nice.........not! e060.gif
    Gillx
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Colin

Oh no you are so wrong, DMs go with anything :lol: They come in pink purple and blue plus lots of other colours. What colour are yours :lol:

Love Vonski x
  • suzster
    Options
    oh how i miss my dm,s!
    i have about 4 or 5 pairs in various styles, black normal 8 hole ones, steel toes cap 10 hole ones, black patent ones, and my very favourite 14 hole ones, they go up to top of my calf but they are just so uncomfy now. i always swore they were the best boots for your feet, wore nothing but dm's for the last 20 yrs, until arthur came along, :x grr! but now they hurt my toes so bad.
    i had to sell a pair a few weeks ago on ebay, i bought them before arthur was really bad, they were bright pink and gorgeous but only wore them once because they left me in agony, i miss them!!
    still trainers are the only comfy thing now, but i don't like them!!
  • vonski
    Options
    Hi Suzster

Do you think insoles would be any help in your dms, it seems such a waste. I think you can get toe gaurds too.

Love
    Vonski x
  • suzster
    Options
    i did try insoles, the only problem is that they feel to tight, i think with insoles it's better to buy shoes the next size up to what you usually wear.
    it is a shame though, i love my boots so much.
    i have a pair of 'new rock' boots to, they cost me £150 but they cause me the same problem, also they are heavy so they hurt my legs when i try to walk!!