Accupuncture

Options
hatjoug
hatjoug Member Posts: 15
edited 4. May 2009, 17:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
I think someone mentioned this can help. Has anybody else tried this? I would be interested in any experiences anyone would care to share. I have RA and Gout; chronic pain and stiffness in my right wrist and right ankle. I have also been taking glucosamine and Tumeric. I figure it cannot hurt. My Rh has prescribed Methotrexate and Etoricoxib. However, potential side effects have me hesitating.

George

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi George

I have had acupuncture off and on over the years. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable but have not found it to have any long lasting effects. We are all different though, so well worth a try.

I take etoricoxib with no side effects to date. I agree it cannot do any harm to take gluco and tumeric. I took gluco for years but stopped when I realised it had become more of a habit than anything else and was not really making much difference with the aches and pains. Again we all react differently.

Cannot help you with the metho as have never been prescribed this med.

I hope your day is going ok. The sun is shining here so that is a bonus.

Look after yourself,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hatjoug
    hatjoug Member Posts: 15
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi George

I have had acupuncture off and on over the years. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable but have not found it to have any long lasting effects. We are all different though, so well worth a try.

I take etoricoxib with no side effects to date. I agree it cannot do any harm to take gluco and tumeric. I took gluco for years but stopped when I realised it had become more of a habit than anything else and was not really making much difference with the aches and pains. Again we all react differently.

Cannot help you with the metho as have never been prescribed this med.

I hope your day is going ok. The sun is shining here so that is a bonus.

Look after yourself,

Thanks, that is very helpful. I had my doubts but i thought i would see what others have experienced. As you say, we are all different. It is a shame the medical profession do not always treat us as such.

I had a good day. Sunshine always helps.

George
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi
    I recently had a course of acupuncture after I developed Bursitis in my hip following an arthroscopy operation. The doctor had tried giving me a cortisone injection in my hip, but it didn't work. He then referred me to a physiotherapist who suggested acupuncture.I had about 8 sessions, and found it very relaxing. Every time I returned home afterwards, I fell asleep. I found that the pain decreased almost immediately, and then it disappeared completely. I asked the physio whether it was the acupuncture or just a placebo effect. She said there was no way of knowing, but who cares as long as the pain goes away :?: It was all on the NHS, and I don't think they would pay for something if there was no proven benefit. So I would recommend you to try it.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • stefan
    stefan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I have been having Acupunture for many years, i found a lovely lady who was trained in the Chinese version and she turned my life around. This was costly £30 per session to £45 per session now, so now only use when really needed, but she manages to keep my pain level very low, and my spirits very high, more so if you go regular. My other Saint is my Chiro who i think is a magician, £32 every 2 weeks and again my posture/walking ability is very high at present, and pain very low! I was advised many years ago to find a Chinese trained person and i can see why, but be aware with these Chinese shops, they are quite brutel and have no customer care skills, i think money comes first, where as my lady really cares! I also found drugs give far to many side effects, and only use Tramadol which agree with me and work, after all the cost of drugs nearly pays for my Acupunture!
    Good Luck,
    Stefan.

hatjoug wrote:
    I think someone mentioned this can help. Has anybody else tried this? I would be interested in any experiences anyone would care to share. I have RA and Gout; chronic pain and stiffness in my right wrist and right ankle. I have also been taking glucosamine and Tumeric. I figure it cannot hurt. My Rh has prescribed Methotrexate and Etoricoxib. However, potential side effects have me hesitating.

George
    :lol:
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi George,
    I also take etoricoxib and methotrexate (along with humira) I understand your hesitation about the meds but for me it is worth it. I have had acupuncture at times to relieve specific symptoms, for example when I've had a problem that was making itself worse when my muscles went into spasm. The type i have is medical acupuncture that acts directly on the place where the pain/problem is. Research shows that acupuncture can change the way your brain processes the pain signals - making it feel less and that it can also release muscle spasms - preventing the problem being repeated over and over. It helps me but I know it's not for everyone - it doesn't hurt (the needles are hair fine) and you are left with a warm sensation and feeling very relaxed. I would always advise trying it - see if it helps!
    Good Luck!
    KT