URGENT HELP FOR THURSDAY PLEASE.....

Options
harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
:? hi everyone, this is an urgent request for all you peeps out there, i have an HR meeting this thursday 7th may, it is to do with the fact that i am, basically, no good for the job!! well, long story short...since having OA, i have had a hip resurface in jan 09, had 8 weeks off, went back to work under phase in - i work in a shop 40 hours a week as a supervisor, no lift but a steep flight of stairs, and we all have to manually carry all stock up as well as go up and down for lazy customers!! - well, i came back on phase in doing 4 hours a day, did 12 hours first week, 16 hours second week, made drs appointment and was signed off for a further 2 weeks with a huge flea in my ear from my dr saying i had gone back far too early, anyhooo, i went back to work thursday just gone, got called into the office and was told that i had to be back full time by the end of the week as i had been phased back for four weeks, when i told her i had only been back 2 before i was signed off again, she said that they were counting that as part of the phase in, i told her i dont think so and she then went on to say that she thinks that maybe i should think about what i really want...and that she was calling in HR to come and see me.....now after all my blabbering, my question and plee for help is, what sort of questions should i ask that will benefit me, my ideal senario is 16 hours per week, but i have already been told that there arent any hours available and that they would probably be looking at redundancy so that they can get in a full time supervisor. i really could do with some ideas so that i dont go in there looking like a right plum and come away with nothing, i have only been there 19 months. cheers all, looking forward to hearing your tips and ideas. love Sally. :D

Comments

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sally

Good grief, the absolute last thing you need when you're feeling poorly and trying to get back into work is all this from your employers! Before you go into your interview on Thursday and before you think about questions, do the following:

- Find out who your union rep is and if they're available for this meeting or get some other colleague who knows the policies etc, you should take back up for morale if nothing else
    - Get them up to speed on what's happened so far before the actual meeting
    - Read up on your employer's policies about disabilities and illness and what they should do
    - Contact the DLA to find out your rights under the DLA

You should point out at the meeting that:

- You WANT to continue working and could do so at reduced hours
    - There is a possibility of job sharing if they need a full time supervisor
    - You're probably not safe carrying stock up and down stairs and is there anything else you could be doing instead?

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I replied so late and so close to your meeting, but I only just noticed your posting. Just make sure you're well prepared for your meeting and have someone to support you.

Nx

PS - and let us know how it went :-)
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    Contact the DLA to find out your rights under the DLA

Sorry to jump in g075.gif

Did you mean the DDA, (Disability Discrimination Act) advice from local JobcentrePlus?

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Under Disability Dicsrimination Act (DDA) guidelines they must attempt at least to "make reasonable adjustments", measures that would enable you to return to work and carry out your duties. As someone else said, I'd be reluctant to work in a job which involved carrying stock or lifting.

An employer can consider dismissal but only if they have tried every avenue first to make the reasonable adjustments required under the DDA. For example if they are a small business and you needed a lift then they could not be expected to put that in place. But simple matters like changing your hours or extra breaks should be considered. If the matter in the very worst case went to Tribunal, your employer would have to prove that they tried everything within their limits to enable you to work.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    Contact the DLA to find out your rights under the DLA

Sorry to jump in g075.gif

Did you mean the DDA, (Disability Discrimination Act) advice from local JobcentrePlus?

Joseph 8)

That's what I said :-P Sorry, getting a bit too excited in offering my opinion :-)

Nx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    This sounds a really stupid story! Can't you job share with another part time person? Seems obvious!!! Sue
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi Sally!
    Crikey you sound in exactly the same predicament as me - it even sounds like the same shop! You definitely went back too early but I expect that's cos of their awful attitude making you feel guilty. To be honest, in my role, and I have been there 9 years, I don't think there is a possibility of adjustment so I know deep down I am going to have to give up. I run a concession beauty counter on my own within a large Boots. My company are making me feel very bad at the moment as I have been told I need a new hip. They say they can't make adjustments untill I return but I can't return without them so is "Catch 22".
    They are not interested in me needing stick & not being able to run around as I used to. Sorry I have no good advice - maybe your store has better options for you such as till work seated? I don't work for Boots so not option for me.
    Pennie Xx
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    thank you all for the helpful comments that you have given me, i will take up some of the advice ie. i shall take a trusted collegue in with me, i will mention job share, infact i have written down a possible senario for them incase it is too hard for them to work out for themselves!! :lol:
    i have to say that i keep getting flutters in the pit of my stomach every time i think of tomorrow, i really dont know how this is going to pan out, but i shall let you know how it went, thanks again all, i knew i would get support and advice from you lot.
    Sally.xxx :D