Natural Products

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
I have been reading up on natural products which are good for arthritis.
I have bought Glucasamine and Omega 3, Turmeric to make a tea, rose hip capsules, and intend to pick these at the end of the year to make home make rose hip syrup and jam.
Can I take these whilst on MTX

I already take Evening Primrose oil and Sea Kelp to help keep my hair growing whilst I am on MTX.
My Rheumy dept said it was OK to take the latter two,

joyful

Comments

• colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joyful, I would talk to your GP as some things may counteract your meds or make it harder for them to work. I tried loads of natural remedies years ago but gave up on them as the RA got worse, i even tried Chinese Herbal medison. Take care and save us a Jam butty hey.
    Colin
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Joyful
    Glucosamine is suitable for Osteoarthritis but not for Rheumatoid. Turmeric and Rose Hips do have some anti inflammatory properties and may be helpful.
    Recent research suggests taking a large dose of Omega3 oils e.g. 3.5G a day can help with RA but do discuss this with your rheumatologist first.
    Here is the link to the ARC report on complementary treatments which gives details of the effectiveness and safety of most of the common ones including Fish Oils
    http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6300/6300.asp
    Best wishes
    Val
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Joyful, I would talk to your GP as some things may counteract your meds or make it harder for them to work. I tried loads of natural remedies years ago but gave up on them as the RA got worse, i even tried Chinese Herbal medison. Take care and save us a Jam butty hey.
    Colin

Hi Colinone. Hope you are OK there.

Thanks for that.
    Regarding Chinese Herbal Meds
    Before I was diag PA and RA properly 4 years ago (thought I had gout previously) went to Chinese Medicine. SPent a fortune, accupuncture etc etc. Total waste of time and money, for me anyway. Perhaps these only work if you are on a certain type of diet maybe?
    I'll make sure I make plenty. Let you know when the Jam butty ready
    joy