anaesthetic during op

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
I am due a hip replacement in mid July and am confused by the various different types of anaesthetic.I have opted to have an epidural but have been told by a member of the public to have a spinal as it was pain free and the recovery was much better than when he had an epidural.I thought they were one of the same.Is there a difference?
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I think you are right that they are the same thing. I had this type of anaesthetic last Dec. when I had an arthroscopy. I was apprehensive about it beforehand, but it was much better than a general anaesthetic. I think I was given a sedative as well, because I don't remember anything about the operation. Afterwards, I was numb from the waist down, and couldn't move my legs until the anaesthetic wore off, but that was OK because you don't feel any pain either. Recovery is quicker, and it is safer, so I would definitely recommend it.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    I thought they were one and the same thing too... I had the epidural with a sedative and it was brilliant I didn't remember a thing and had none of the after a general nausea which was great...I'd say go for it..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • tkachev
    Cheers for that.

Members of the public keep giving me advice when i am hobbling around! I definately do not want a general anaesthetic because i have a very dry throat, poss caused by some of my meds,and a few breathing difficulties. I like the idea of being in control and knowing what is going on around me,again because of my throat.The not knowing what to expect is frightening so I welcome your comments.

regards tkachev.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    tkachev wrote:
    I am due a hip replacement in mid July and am confused by the various different types of anaesthetic.I have opted to have an epidural but have been told by a member of the public to have a spinal as it was pain free and the recovery was much better than when he had an epidural.I thought they were one of the same.Is there a difference?

Thank you for your posting on the forum. It would be best to discuss with your anaesthetist about the best type of anaesthetic for you and you will have an appointment prior to the hip replacement with your anaesthetist where you can talk through this. It may be an idea to think now about the questions you would like to ask before the operation and you can also contact us here on the helpline to talk about any concerns you have. If you follow the link http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6018/6018.asp this will give you lots of information about the operation for a new hip joint. I hope that this has been helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • tkachev
    Thankyou DAwn for our reply.

I am a little clearer about what to expect from the op now so thankyou for your help.

Tkachev

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein