A Rant about ESA Claim

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
I have had a strange battle with the benifits people recently.

I claimed ESA when I was medically retired I made the claim over the phone and sent in the paper work they wanted. Last week I had a letter saying that as I hadn't paid any tax or insurance, I couldn't have esa. I phoned them and was told that no record exists of my tax returns, so I told them I worked for six years for the council. They said "Ahhh thats it, the council don't send in the tax returns on time, we always have problems with them, send us your P60 for the year before" . So I did, then I rang them a few days later, but they hadn't got it or the certificate I sent in with it. Never mind ring tomorrow. So I did. They'd got the certificate, but not the P60, and I still don't exist! :(:( After lots of calls, they said I'd be fine if I sent in the P60 for 06 to 97. They said that is the only way they could trace my records, they insisted they had no other way as it is Inland Revinue who keep the records.

Sorry to bore you, but I don't believe that the ONLY way of tracing my records is through P60. Am I being silly? Do I expect too much?? Sorry to go on, :roll: :)

Comments

• prayerman1973
    prayerman1973 Member Posts: 24
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,
    I too have felt the incompetence of the new ESA. I had to claim as the GP signed me off originally for 14 days, sent in all documents requested. I had received them with a note saying "received, thank you", now I had not heard anything so I called them and was told "we cannot find your medical note, did you send it" then I called a few days later as requested and got "we're sorry but we cannot find it, you'll have to send in a duplicate, go to your GP and ask"
    It really is unbelievable that such a system is in place to "speed things up" and yet they lose things, have such high demands that people just are not getting what they need or are entitled to.

Alan
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    While it may be a little late in these cases, there are four necessary rules that everyone should use in dealing with claims.

Rule One:
    Retain a 'master' photocopy of EVERY piece of paper sent. Be it P60, completed forms, letters, sick notes, doctor's notes, etc.

When they 'lose' an important piece of paper, you can send a copy of the copy. Never send your original master copy. If they can lose a form they are quite capable of losing the copy as well. If they phone to discuss a form, have your copy to hand, so that you are both looking at the same information and talking about the same piece of paper.

Rule Two:
    ALL letters or packets are sent Registered Post which has to be signed for.

When they claim that it has not been received, quote the registered number and tell them they have received it because they signed for it. As most of the information is A4 in format then wrap a piece of A4 round the bundle/form which lists everything that is enclosed, even for one item. When they claim that they have one form, but the other was not there, then quote what was in the bundle, (from your copy), and say that they have it in their possession as they signed to say that all the contents were enclosed. If something was missing, why did they sign to say that it was received?

Rule Three:
    If they insist that a particular form needs to be replaced with an original, then inform them that as they were negligent in losing it they will have to pay for your time and expenses. As you charge £30 for an hour or part, plus travel, plus expenses, they will go away and find the form which is in the back of their folder anyway or accept your copy.

Rule Four: Really should be the main one.
    Most of the people you deal with are really helpful, courteous and will go out of their way to progress your claim. But, if they are useless ask to speak to a supervisor and politely and calmly explain the situation and request someone else to handle your claim. Always be polite and patient with people, it's free and more importantly, it works.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    While it may be a little late in these cases, there are four necessary rules that everyone should use in dealing with claims.

Rule One:
    Retain a 'master' photocopy of EVERY piece of paper sent. Be it P60, completed forms, letters, sick notes, doctor's notes, etc.

When they 'lose' an important piece of paper, you can send a copy of the copy. Never send your original master copy. If they can lose a form they are quite capable of losing the copy as well. If they phone to discuss a form, have your copy to hand, so that you are both looking at the same information and talking about the same piece of paper.

Rule Two:
    ALL letters or packets are sent Registered Post which has to be signed for.

When they claim that it has not been received, quote the registered number and tell them they have received it because they signed for it. As most of the information is A4 in format then wrap a piece of A4 round the bundle/form which lists everything that is enclosed, even for one item. When they claim that they have one form, but the other was not there, then quote what was in the bundle, (from your copy), and say that they have it in their possession as they signed to say that all the contents were enclosed. If something was missing, why did they sign to say that it was received?

Rule Three:
    If they insist that a particular form needs to be replaced with an original, then inform them that as they were negligent in losing it they will have to pay for your time and expenses. As you charge £30 for an hour or part, plus travel, plus expenses, they will go away and find the form which is in the back of their folder anyway or accept your copy.

Rule Four: Really should be the main one.
    Most of the people you deal with are really helpful, courteous and will go out of their way to progress your claim. But, if they are useless ask to speak to a supervisor and politely and calmly explain the situation and request someone else to handle your claim. Always be polite and patient with people, it's free and more importantly, it works.

Joseph 8)

Yes I'm learning by experience, all the forms and everything seem to be filling up several folders. :shock: Thanks for the advice, why did I think it would be easy, as work retired me! I MUST be stupid.
    :roll: :) Sue PS. The really stupid thing is I'd love to go back to my job, I miss working and find myself getting down.