"How long did it take you to get diagnised?"

Options
averyniceman
averyniceman Member Posts: 75
Someone recently created a topic in the Living With Arthritis Forum called "How long did it take you to get diagnised?" http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9631

This has been really useful and interesting for me -- I am waiting for a diagnosis myself.

Can you make it a sticky topic? That way people who are awaiting diagnosis could always find other people's stories, and that may help them to see their own situation more clearly.

Comments

• rella1965
    rella1965 Member Posts: 34
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I am still waiting to be diagnosed a year later after first haing symptoms. Both my GPS are happy to diagnose me but by time I got to see rheumy my flare had gone off, and he also found something else wrong with me which diverted the attention from the original RA symptoms. Rheumy closed my clinic appts down once he had me referred to another department (I am going to make a formal complaint about this).

Had to wait months and months for another second opinion in another hospital and because I was referred through my original rheumy and not my GP I dont have to meet government targets for new patients (16 weeks). I dont go back for my second appointment which should give me my results for 3.5 months after seeing the second consultant. In the meantime have been in a terrible flare for 2.5 months and off work since then.

Someone recently created a topic in the Living With Arthritis Forum called "How long did it take you to get diagnised?" http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9631

This has been really useful and interesting for me -- I am waiting for a diagnosis myself.

Can you make it a sticky topic? That way people who are awaiting diagnosis could always find other people's stories, and that may help them to see their own situation more clearly.
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi, I think its a good idea to get people to say how long they waited for diagnosis. I saw my gp 7 times between Oct-Dec08 to ask for help, this was basically ignored until I insisted on a blood test which showed positive marker for RA. Although this didnt mean anything in itself I was eventually referred to rheumatology. I finally saw rheumy on 10 June 09, and had x rays and more bloods done before returning on 3 July for results, I was then told I have RA and would start on methotrexate. All in all it has taken 9 months, which I know is not as long as some people can wait, but still ridiculous, especially when it affects your whole life. I am still working,but finding it very difficult, I work with young children, so alot of lifting, sitting on floor etc. I hope this gives an idea of the situation and that it helps
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    About 4/5 years ago, after a blood test, I was told I had gout, so I was given medication for Gout. When I was getting no relief for this 'Gout', had another blood test, GP thought it might be RA, so referred to Rheumatologist. Had to wait 3 months, but then diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis first. Then I was told I had RA aswell.

joyful