New to this

dshakes
dshakes Member Posts: 5
edited 12. Jul 2009, 10:47 in Say Hello Archive
This is my first mail,i work full-time but it's getting increasingly difficult to work with arthritis in my knee,hip and spine. I do not take any medication at all, what i am hoping for is something i can take from a chemist which may help a little to ease the pain. Any suggestions.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dshakes wrote:
    This is my first mail,i work full-time but it's getting increasingly difficult to work with arthritis in my knee,hip and spine. I do not take any medication at all, what i am hoping for is something i can take from a chemist which may help a little to ease the pain. Any suggestions.

Hi dsahakes

Welcome to the forum. I would think you would benefit more from making an appointment with your gp and getting some painkillers and anti inflammatories on prescription. I should think working full time is getting difficult with arthritis in three places. Perhaps a few session of physio may help - you can be referred by your gp. I take it you have been diagnosed with arthritis - is it OA? Referral to a pain clinic can also be very beneficial. Steroid injections help too.

Hope to see you posting on the other forums. More peeps look in on them than here.

Look after yourself,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dshakes
    elnafinn wrote:
    dshakes wrote:

Hi dsahakes

Welcome to the forum. I would think you would benefit more from making an appointment with your gp and getting some painkillers and anti inflammatories on prescription. I should think working full time is getting difficult with arthritis in three places. Perhaps a few session of physio may help - you can be referred by your gp. I take it you have been diagnosed with arthritis - is it OA? Referral to a pain clinic can also be very beneficial. Steroid injections help too.

Hope to see you posting on the other forums. More peeps look in on them than here.

Look after yourself,
    Elna[/quote Thanks for your reply, i have not been diagnosed with arthritis, i am not one who goes to the doc's a lot. Some years ago i was given tablets to take for my knee to help with the soreness but they upset my stomach so i stopped taking them. Whats the difference between arthritis and OA, is there a test so you know one from the other.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    dshakes wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:
    dshakes wrote:

Hi dsahakes

Look after yourself,
    Elna[/quote Thanks for your reply, i have not been diagnosed with arthritis, i am not one who goes to the doc's a lot. Some years ago i was given tablets to take for my knee to help with the soreness but they upset my stomach so i stopped taking them. Whats the difference between arthritis and OA, is there a test so you know one from the other.

Hi again, :D

There are over 100 different types of arthritis. If you were given anti inflammatories by your gp you should also have been given stomach protector medication too. A blood test can diagnose RA (rheumatoid arthritis), OA (osteo arthritis) is often also known as "wear and tear".

Why not call in on the Living with Arthritis zone. This section is more for saying "Hello" !

Look forward to seeing you posting on the other zones,

Best wishes
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dshakes
    elnafinn wrote:
    dshakes wrote:
    elnafinn wrote:

Hi dsahakes

Look after yourself,

Hi again, :D

There are over 100 different types of arthritis. If you were given anti inflammatories by your gp you should also have been given stomach protector medication too. A blood test can diagnose RA (rheumatoid arthritis), OA (osteo arthritis) is often also known as "wear and tear".

Why not call in on the Living with Arthritis zone. This section is more for saying "Hello" !

Look forward to seeing you posting on the other zones,

Best wishes
    Elna x
    Thanks for the tips very helpful.