Tax Credits.

Options
skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
Hi,

I am finding it harder and harder to earn a living even to the poverty line and wondered how I can find out about these things? I have been self employed for years, today I did 2 sales cus they are that quiet and my bones are not just screaming they have gone into hyper drive and I just wondered what are tax credits and are they means tested and they must be income based and does anyone working become eligible if they earn so little as I am at present. Any advice would be much appreciated. Take care Cris

Comments

• harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi,

I am finding it harder and harder to earn a living even to the poverty line and wondered how I can find out about these things? I have been self employed for years, today I did 2 sales cus they are that quiet and my bones are not just screaming they have gone into hyper drive and I just wondered what are tax credits and are they means tested and they must be income based and does anyone working become eligible if they earn so little as I am at present. Any advice would be much appreciated. Take care Cris
    Hi Cris, i am so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, poor you.
    i get tax credits but yes they are means tested, it goes on your income, i know you can get them on S/Emp as my neighbour gets them and her husbands income fluctuates but i think in that case you would have to project what you would earn in that year on the basis of what you have earned last year, its worth having a look also you could look at DLA, if you dont already get it, that ISN'T means tested, doesnt matter if you earn a million a week (wouldnt say no !!) you would still get what you are entitled to, now everyone says for DLA do it as if its your worst day, my advice, do it as if its a bad day but dont go over the top, if you know what i mean, i had no help filling mine out, i just thought get it done, out the way and see what they say, got awarded high rate mob and low rate care straight away, no medical nothing.
    so try working tax credits, child tax credits (if you have any kids) and DLA.
    good luck cris, sorry this is a long winded post, but wanted to get my say over to you !!!
    all the best, Sally.xx :D
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    hi,might be worth trying these sites 'direct gov'
    if you cant find that try finding it through the job centre links & try 'entitled to'
    the last site you can put in your income etc etc & it will tell you exacly what you entitled to claim,housing/council tax,income support,dla,& tax credits.
    its private too,so nobody can see your answers then you can start appyling.
    when we did it for stepsons tax credits we got nearly a yrs back pay.
    nothing to lose,but you could kick yourself if youve lost out.
    good luck,debsx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sally,

Thanks for all the info, I don't qualify for DLA though 20 years ago I was registered disabled but only to 32% but I did have a green card etc. I was young and just never bothered to stay in the system and now I am so much worse I don't have supportive doctors, in fact they wont even give a sick note......

I will def look into tax credits as the way things are gong it will be a long winter.

The screaming hyper drive has really kicked in and I don't think I could do 2 a day ever again! :?

You take care and have a good night,

Cris x

Hi Debs,

I'll go to the site tomorrow as I really am all in just now. You have a comfy night and I will def see what help is out there. Even my big tablets isn't denting this one...... I want a self loading car! :wink::lol:

Nite and sleep well. x
  • smillajasperson
    smillajasperson Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi.
    I receive tax credits and couldn't survive without them! If you have children in fulltime education (my son is 18 and at college) and you - or your partner if you have one - work at least 16 hours per week (or an average of that if you work slightly different hours each week) then you should qualify depending on your income. Also if you are a couple with no children but one of you works a minimum of 30 hrs per week you may well qualify. You get a bit more if you're over 50 - as we are in September! I don't think you can claim it if you are a single person with no dependants. I think you can claim tax credits up to an income of about £60,000 a year! Its quite high anyway! You also get free prescriptions (if you don't already). If you go on the WTC website you can go on the 'Do I qualify?' part and put in your details and it will tell you what you are likely to get -it only takes a few mins and its really easy. If it says you qualify then you still have to fill out forms but its well worth it! They sort out your claim really quickly and pay it into the bank monthly. Its great!
    Smillajasperson x