Hi I'm new here

carol71
carol71 Member Posts: 131
edited 11. Aug 2009, 06:20 in Say Hello Archive
Was searching on line for a support group and came across this site, so I'll start with a BIG HELLO from me.

Yesterday I got the diagnosis i've got Arthrisis in my neck.

For a month or so now I've suffered with pains in my arms and neck. I went to the doctor who didn't say much really he told me if I was still in pain 3 months later to go back and he'd send me for a neck xray.

However a few days later I was back at the doctors cos I was suffering vertio type symptoms I first had these just after easter so went back. I couldn't stand up without the room spinning.

Anyway cut a long story short the doc thought it may all be connected and he refered me for a neck x-ray the next day. Evfen though the doctor mentioned it may be arthritis, I never for a minute thought it could be. I'm only 38 and thought arthritis afected older people than me.

When I went to the doctors for a repeat sicknote yesterday my results wern't in. The doctor said he'd chase them up as it had been 2 wks. I took the kids out for the afternoon and when I got back there was a message on the answerphone saying to ring the doctor my results were in.

I was told over the phone it was arthritis in my neck. Not sure what kind of arthritis. All I really know is the doc has refared me for physio so I should be recieving an appointment through the post for that.

Am feeling kinda numb cos I have no idea what this means for me.

if you read all that without getting bored of me you deserve a medal lol

Carol xxx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Carol

Welcome to the forum. I bet you are numb with your diagnosis, especially told to you on the phone. Arthritis can strike at a very young age, infancy even so we are all ages on this site.

Let's hope that physio helps you. Has your gp offered you any meds in the meantime to help you with the pain and discomfort?

I hope to see you posting on the other forums soon,

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    I've not been offered any meds as yet Elna.
    I need to make another appointment next week to discus my diagnosis with the doctor.
    I didn't think to ask if he wanted to see me to discus it further when he told me over the phone.

Carol xxx
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Hi, it must been a shock to be told over the phone. I am 37 and got arthritis 2 years ago, I never expected it, although looking back I should have!!!! I have cervical spondylosis and RA in my neck and know only too well the problems it causes.

I hope physio helps you and that the doc comes up with a suitable treatment plan. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. I have found this site to be an invaluable source of support.

Take care

Deb x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Carol and welcome to the Forum.

You're bound to be in shock but the chances are that your arthritis could settle down yet.

Alot of people think only old people get it but unfortunately it can strike at any age as you will see if you read posts on here especially on the Young People's forum.

I've had it since I was 27 (23 years) and I had a dear friend who'd had it since she was 2 :shock: (she has died now) and another friend who was diagnosed at 9 years old - so arthritis doesn't respect age.

Hope you enjoy joining in on all the different Forums.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Carol
    You will be in shock - we all were when we got our diagnoses - even if in some cases (like me!) It was obvious!!!
    As Elna says now - the only way is up! You'll get some meds and some treatment and hopefully you will start to get control of your life again.
    And while you do that we will be here to support you!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • dazleeds1
    dazleeds1 Member Posts: 9
    Now then Carol. I am a newbie also and I know how you feel. The news is like a smack in the chops. I also thought it happened to older, and other people. It's amazing how quickly you learn about something when it effects you directly. I also have quickly learned that the medical profession won't be chasing to help you so you have to push to get the advice and support you need. Welcome and best wishes.
  • karinak
    karinak Member Posts: 113
    Hello, i am new too, just today after being told on phone too!, are doctors that insensitive?, i worried all weekend and saw her face to face today to see what the results were and what i do next, had a weepy afternoon but feeling ok now as it wont go away will it!. I am 46 and thought i was young to get R Arthritis but how wrong i am after reading other posts and really feel for all of you out there.
    I am looking forward to meeting lots of new online friends and know i am not alone.
    Love Karina x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Karina,

Welcome to the Forums - anything you need to know, just ask, someone will be able to answer you.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Karina

Welcome and I will say that not all doctors are that insensitive but finding one that is caring and listens, sometimes feels like finding a needle in a haystack. Feeling weepy is not at all unusual so you are not alone there. It comes as a shock to be diagnosed, especially the way you were - via a telephone call. You will get plenty of support from us here as we all understand and try to help each other out as much as possible.

Look forward to seeing your name around the site.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    welcome it is a bit of a shock to be told u have arthritis and u go through a whole range of imotions :D:cry: . but with the right meds life is much better good luck stay in touch with us :D:D:D
    val
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Welcome Karina, sorry you've had to join our 'club' but your in the right place to get lots of great help, advice and support :)

Jackie x
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Welcome Karina, sorry you've had to join our 'club' but your in the right place to get lots of great help, advice and support :)

Jackie x

Oh! And welcome to Carole and Dazleeds1 too :)