going back 2 work

elaine1033
elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
.back 2 work on monday after 14wks.bit worried as i had a fall at work that was why i was off.fell on wet floor from leaky fridge ave seeked legal advice .boss is saying it never happened :shock: i am going 2 feel awkward when i go back and i am sure he will be quite annoyed that i am claiming ,but it was not my fault. :(

Comments

• elaine1033
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    just had 2 tell someone how i feel as i ave never been in this position before :oops:
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Hey Elaine, please try not to worry.....
    A leaky fridge is an accident....and the money you get from the claim will come out of the companies pocket...not your managers :shock:
    Did you put the accident in the accident book?...if you did then thats your proof isnt it?
    I hope for your managers sake that there is an accident book in operation....it is illigal not to have one....and your solicitor will have a field day with it....
    Go in on Monday....hold your head up high and enjoy your day....
    Good luck
    Kay
    x
  • elaine1033
    afraid there isnt an acciedent book i rang my boss 2 say what happened.we ave 2 owners of the cafe i work in and they r never there we didnt even ave a supervisor when i had the fall.they dont do anything by the books just come 2 get money at end of week : :roll:
  • topgirl
    ooooo....they are naughty!
    A cafe with no accident book...NO WAY.... :shock:
    Get some legal advice.....It also might be worth looking at if the fridges should be serviced every so often because its a cafe....
    I reckon they want you to leave so you wont complain....
    Sorry im a bit of a 'geek' with this sort of thing!...LOL
    x
  • elaine1033
    ave been 2 a solictor told her everything she says its a straight case 4 compensation,i no there is cameras about were i work as it is in a shopping mall.avent got my hours yet for going back but ave my suspicsion i wont get same hours.also one of my work mates was there when i fell .
  • topgirl
    Have you told your solicitor about no accident book?....what did they say?
  • elaine1033
    she was fumming.said he was breaking the law with a lot of things,like never gettin eqitment fixed and avein no acciedent book.dont no what the outcome will be. :idea: [/b]
  • topgirl
    Its not good is it....apart from what happened to you...what about if someone knocked a cup of tea over and a child was burnt?
    Does your boss keep records of all the staff training he has done regarding health and safety???
    Hes gonna be upset that you have caught him out...thats all....and he knows hes for it!!!!
    When you go back to work keep a log of things they say/do just in case they try to get you to leave...
  • elaine1033
    yea i will thanx for ur advise has eased my nerves a bit xxxx
  • topgirl
    Thats good...
    Let me know how you get on.

x
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    Good advice from topgirl.....good luck :wink:
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    Elaine, You are doing right to claim, you had to take time out from your job due to no fault of your own and you need compensating for that.

It's 10yrs since I had an accident at work. I slipped on some oil that was dripping from the back of one of the machines.
    We'd been asking for it to be sorted for days.
    We had an accident book but my supervisor wouldn't let me finish work an hour early to go checked out at the hospital cos I already had a doctors appointment that night.

Cut a long story short, I ended up with my arm in plaster for 2 wks and on lighter duties at work. I couldn't afford not to work, I didn't know if i'd win my claim (I did).

I was made to feel I was in the wrong for claiming and although I wasn't asked to leave I did feel uncomfortable and ended up looking for something else. It took 8 months but I moved jobs. Took 18 months for the claim to come through.

My advice like has already been said when you go back make a note of any comments made that are degrading or insulting or that make you feel uncomfortable being at work.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you

Carol xxx
  • elaine1033
    so far so good at work. was great gettin back work mates r fine and boss is on holidays at mo so havent seen him yet.still have leaky fridges at work ,think boss is just a bleep bleep lol
  • topgirl
    Glad everything has gone well :wink:
  • chrissycat
    chrissycat Member Posts: 28
    Hi Elaine

Your boss sounds like a real greedy idiot!!

If your fridge is still leaking maybe you could ring the HSE?
    He can't do anything to you for making sure that your workplace is safe, after all, that's supposed to be his responsibility.
    At least they'll be able to give you some advice.

Hope this helps.
    Take care

Love
    Christine
    xx
  • elaine1033
    chrissycat wrote:
    Hi
    Your boss sounds like a real greedy idiot!!

If your fridge is still leaking maybe you could ring the HSE?
    He can't do anything to you for making sure that your workplace is safe, after all, that's supposed to be his responsibility.
    At least they'll be able to give you some advice.

Hope this helps.
    Take care

Love
    Christine
    xx
    what is the HSE?
  • chrissycat
    chrissycat Member Posts: 28
    Hi Elaine

The HSE is the Health and Safety Executive, they're a government department. They're the ones that investigate when accidents happen in the workplace, and if there's negligence on the part of the employer they can fine them etc.

I've been on their website and apparently if you're off over 3 days due to injury at work your employer is supposed to let them know..
    It might be worth giving them a call for some advice. I bet they'll be interested that you haven't got accident book at work...

0845 300 99 23

Hope this helps.

Take care

Christine
    xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    First thing to do when you go back if not done already - get it in the work's accident book! Very important.

Sorry just realised they don't have one :shock: All Employers MUST have one, tell them to get one just for you :lol: They can deny it all they want, do you have any witnessess?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    get some photos of water leaking out he can not say no leak then as u will have proof good luck
    val