amytriptelene

trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
Hi

Since I became a member, I have noticed quite a few members mention they take Amytriptelene.

I was already on this medication for another reason, when I joined but have always wondered if it is a drug used when you get arthritis.

thank you

trisher

Comments

• carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Trish, i have just read the following on Wikkipedia. It is an anti-depressent essentially but also says this :

Amitriptyline may be prescribed for other conditions such as insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD),[3] migraine, rebound headache, chronic pain, tinnitus, chronic cough, postherpetic neuralgia (persistent pain following a shingles attack), carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), fibromyalgia, vulvodynia, interstitial cystitis, male chronic pelvic pain syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diabetic peripheral neuropathy, neurological pain, and painful paresthesias related to multiple sclerosis and at low doses as a prophylaxis (preventive) for patients with chronic migraines.[4] Typically lower dosages are required for pain modification of 10 to 50 mg daily.[1]

Amitriptyline in low doses is also sometimes prescribed to help ease the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. It is thought to help combat symptoms of insomnia primarily, in addition to other selected symptoms of the affliction.

Hope this helps

Carol XX
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Trish, I was put on Amitriptylline after I had problems with my feet, first I had sharp pains and then I began to lose sensation in my toes, I now have trouble walking, they work really well for this with the added advantage of helping me to sleep, hope this helps love Jaspercatxx
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Trish, I was put on amitriptyline (low dose ) as I was waking up from my sleep in pain. It has helped me, to sleep and reliev the pain. As an added bonus I find it relaxex my neck muscles, which get quite tight due to cervical spondylosis.

Hope you are ok.

Deb x
  • trisher
    Hi

Jaspercat, Debs and Carol,

Thank you, just wondered why. I take them, but I don't sleep well at all. Maybe it is stress is doing that to me.

Right, I understand now thank you

love trisher xx
  • trisher
    Hi Carol

Thank you for your reply, I just wondered I'll look it up.

love Trisher xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    My own experience of this drug was when I had it prescribed for insomnia. It was whilst I was a work and going through a stressful time.

The drug had a detrimental affect on me, in that, I couldn't walk straight, I appeared drunk, gave me violent headaches and more severe side affects. I have also had similar experiences with other anti-depressants, such as Clomazapam, diazapam. I would love to know why I am adverse to these drugs, so I stay clear.

I would love to have an answer to this one.
    joy
  • babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    Hi

Like Joy I was prescribed amytriptalene for insomnia as I kept waking about 3 in the morning with the pain of arthur in my spine. Unfortunately it seriously affected my abitlity to function the next day and left me feeling heavy, spaced out, gave me short term memory problems ( couldn't recall what i'd been talking about two seconds before, not good for a teacher) and slurred speech with a thick feeling tongue. Didn't improve my sleeping pattern either. So I stopped taking it, Doc offererd to put me on a lower dose of 10 mg instead of 25 mg, but I declined his offer.

B x
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    babette wrote:
    Hi

Like Joy I was prescribed amytriptalene for insomnia as I kept waking about 3 in the morning with the pain of arthur in my spine. Unfortunately it seriously affected my abitlity to function the next day and left me feeling heavy, spaced out, gave me short term memory problems ( couldn't recall what i'd been talking about two seconds before, not good for a teacher) and slurred speech with a thick feeling tongue. Didn't improve my sleeping pattern either. So I stopped taking it, Doc offererd to put me on a lower dose of 10 mg instead of 25 mg, but I declined his offer.

B x
    I was exactly the same. At all stages of this arthritis, since it was first diagnosed, I have had anti depressants offered and I have turned them down. taking the anti-depressants are far worse than feeling a bit down.

Joy
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    I can't add much more information to this thread only to say that amitriptyline is often given to people with arthritis as a relaxant to help sleep at night.
    It can be particularly helpful to people with Fibromyalgia who have sleep disturbances.
    Best wishes
    Val