Thumb op Part 3!!

pheebs
pheebs Member Posts: 202
edited 2. Nov 2009, 17:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All, especially "Catlover" because I know you're interested in this.

Now 6 weeks since op and had the pins removed on Friday. Was told they would slide out but, that wasn't the case. Lot of tugging and pulling - at one point I asked the doctor if I could bite on his arm. Anyway, my hand is now swollen with fingers once more resembling pork sausages!!

I'm back on painkillers (just regular doses of paracetamol cos I'm not much good with anything stronger) but I'm sure the pain will subside once the after-effects of the pulling and tugging fade.

Next step is physio and I'll hopefully get my appointment through asap. My boss has been in touch to see if I might consider coming back to do light work. I don't like being off sick, but I'm not going back before I'm firing on all cylinders again!!

Pheebs x

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My pins were completely stuck 6wks after op too! Plus my thumb had eaten them (they'd disappeared into it) so they had to cut my thumb back open to fish them out then used 4 different types of pliers and a lot of huffing and puffing and they eventually came out.
    I waited til the doc left the room before threatening to keel over!
    Plus doc got blood all over my trousers - nice!

Bet your glad they are out now. My op was back in April and thumb is doing really well. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • pheebs
    Hi Jenzie,

Thanks for your comments - what a trauma for you, but glad to hear your thumb is now fine.

Did you have a lot of pain after the pins were removed - my thumb seems worse at the moment than just after the op!??!

Pheebs
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    My thumb was very swollen and incredibly stiff. I found it more comfortable to keep my hand in the air, it seemed to help with the swelling and throbbing. Straight after the pins were removed (and after my stomach stopped doing rolly polys) I was sent to the physios to make a new splint and to see how much I could move it.
    They'd given me some exercises for my ring finger which also had been operated on to repair the ligament. But it took quite a while for my thumb to get moving. It was pretty painful for a while but then settled down. It was when I caught it on things (like putting washing in the washing machine - be really careful!!) for a long time afterwards would make me hop about trying not to swear.

How is your thumb today?
  • pheebs
    Hi Jenzie,

Feel better now I've read your latest reply, and I agree about catching it in things like washing Maybe I'm a bit thick, but I didn't expect it to be this sore. Anyway, I managed to drive today but it did hurt while doing so. Just waiting for the physio appt. - I've to phone tomorrow.

I'll keep you updated, and thanks again for your comments.

Pheebs x