pain in arm is awful

mike77
mike77 Member Posts: 879
edited 1. Dec 2009, 15:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi , does anyone else have pain right down the whole length of arm , this will not let me sleep all I get from my gp is , it is all down to the Osterarthritis and the rheumy , the only thing that helps is a strong bandage from shoulder to wrist it helps a while then pain returns it is driving me mad at times .

Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR

Comments

  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi delboy , ( good name :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

    had it now for two years , it is worse now get no where with the gp or rheumy feel so much on my own here, saw my gp yesterday about my diabetes told that the pain in arm is awful all she said was we cant give you pain killers for that I am afraid told her I was putting heat on it and using a strong bandage , she said so your looking after it yourself good .

    :x :x :x :x :x gps there useless

    Mike R & Hazel & Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 26,765
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mike
    Poor you :(:(
    You must feel miserable if it stops you sleeping :(:(
    I suppose you do seems to have found your own solution which helps, but I was wondering - is your OA in the neck?
    Hope all is well otherwise in Ireland and is the weather ok?
    Best wishes to Hazel and Mike Jnr
    Toni x
    Love

    Toni xxx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,303
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sounds like trapped nerve or nerves I would go to see another GP yours sounds like the one I had before I changed from him,flippin useless real waste of flippin space,missed my disc problem in my neck and my OA of my knees for years, a real one legged man in a **** kicking contest he was. :roll:
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mellman01 wrote:
    Sounds like trapped nerve or nerves I would go to see another GP yours sounds like the one I had before I changed from him,flippin useless real waste of flippin space,missed my disc problem in my neck and my OA of my knees for years, a real one legged man in a **** kicking contest he was. :roll:
    YOUR DESCRIPTION IS SPOT ON , the only problem is all the gp at the same practice all sing from the same hym sheet.

    mike R & hazel & Mike Jr
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Mike
    Poor you :(:(
    You must feel miserable if it stops you sleeping :(:(
    I suppose you do seems to have found your own solution which helps, but I was wondering - is your OA in the neck?
    Hope all is well otherwise in Ireland and is the weather ok?
    Best wishes to Hazel and Mike Jnr
    Toni x
    Yes it is also in my neck told the same gp that every time I look up or even turn my head slowly from left to right I get dizzy all I get is yes thats a nerve to do with the OA.

    getting fed up with gps

    Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 26,765
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mike
    So he knows WHAT it is, but doesn't tell you what to DO about it???
    Doctors!
    Thought it sounded like your neck.
    Be careful with that dizzyness won't you :shock: :shock:
    Hope you get some sleep
    Toni x
    Love

    Toni xxx
  • clickysticks
    clickysticks Member Posts: 14
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi this sounds exactly like me! I had an MRI and they found a prolapsed cervical disc. It causes shooting pains in the affected arm, paoor balAnce and coccentration and pins and needles you need to do some googling then ask for an MRI scan. Hope this helps.

    Hazel
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I put a cold compress on my arm/wrist when the pain was at its worst and I found it quite comforting. I also found the Cura Heat for Neck and Shoulder pain. It's like a U shaped collar which you can stick to the inside of your shirt, tshirt is best. You can get them from boots any chemist really. It gives you up to 10 hours continuous warmth, so if you are going out in the cold and wear it under your clothes it may stop you tensing up with the cold.
    The other thing you need you gp to do is refer you to a physiotherapist. It does sound like nerve pain. Do you get shooting pains, because if you do you need to see a doctor asap.
    goodluck
    joy
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,303
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mike thanks for the reply, sounds like your in a tight spot with this I've been there and got the dam T shirt, what is it with these people it took me 25 years to get a correct diagnosis on my neck.
    25 years of bloody agony, look your only other option is to keep going back and complaining in the end they will have to take notice, either that or go to A & E, it's either that or pay for a private consultaion but that costs. I would go for the first one, be a pain your paying their wages after all.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, It sounds similar to me, I have a trapped nerve in my neck. I'm waiting to see a neurologist. The pain is a real nasty part of it thoguh. I am on slow release tramadol which work better for me than the ordinary ones and also amatriptyline at night which helps me sleep.

    You should see your GP as soon as you can and see what they say. Take care, love Sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 29. Nov 2009, 13:33
    Hi
    Yes, I have this a lot. It didn't help that I was using my walking stick all the time - I've now started using elbow crutches and this helps to keep me more balanced (OA in both knees) and I have more support when I'm out and about. The OT has just fitted handrails up the stairs which means I don't have to rely on my walking stick.

    When it's particularly bad I have to take an extra amytriptline and I smother my whole arm with deep heat. I then put a pillow under my arm. If that doesn't work I put a stocking support bandage on.
    I'm right handed and some days the pain is unbearable. I also use a heat pad. I only use my walking stick if I have to walk up the garden now or at night if I have to visit the loo.

    I've seen shoulder supports in a disability aids magazine. See your OT and maybe they can provide one free of charge. I'm seriously considering asking for one.

    Sharmaine
    mike77 wrote:
    Hi , does anyone else have pain right down the whole length of arm , this will not let me sleep all I get from my gp is , it is all down to the Osterarthritis and the rheumy , the only thing that helps is a strong bandage from shoulder to wrist it helps a while then pain returns it is driving me mad at times .

    Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have had this a few times. I told my GP when I went to him a while back abd he said it was tennis elbow and that if it continued he would give me a steroid injection. However, since starting on the prednisalone for my back it has gone.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have had tennis elbow years ago and refused the injection! :oops: Over the years its slowly damaged the nerve so that now it is swollen and a very funny shape and may need surgery. :oops: Just shows what ignoring advice and being a coward can do for you! :oops: :wink: Love Sue
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi
    Yes, I have this a lot. It didn't help that I was using my walking stick all the time - I've now started using elbow crutches and this helps to keep me more balanced (OA in both knees) and I have more support when I'm out and about. The OT has just fitted handrails up the stairs which means I don't have to rely on my walking stick.

    When it's particularly bad I have to take an extra amytriptline and I smother my whole arm with deep heat. I then put a pillow under my arm. If that doesn't work I put a stocking support bandage on.
    I'm right handed and some days the pain is unbearable. I also use a heat pad. I only use my walking stick if I have to walk up the garden now or at night if I have to visit the loo.

    I've seen shoulder supports in a disability aids magazine. See your OT and maybe they can provide one free of charge. I'm seriously considering asking for one.

    Sharmaine
    mike77 wrote:
    Hi , does anyone else have pain right down the whole length of arm , this will not let me sleep all I get from my gp is , it is all down to the Osterarthritis and the rheumy , the only thing that helps is a strong bandage from shoulder to wrist it helps a while then pain returns it is driving me mad at times .

    Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
    Sharmaine lovely name , your pain sounds exactly like mine , the ot here all they do is give you a magazine to order the stuff you need the bandage I have is like a stocking ( only white ) it is the only thing that eases the pain for me sometimes my arm is so hard and swollen and sore to touch just going to look after it my self as the gps are not worried about it.

    Mike R & Hazel& Mike JR
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

    I'm always mentioning my shoulder to my GP but like yours they ignore it. I think you'll just have to keep telling them! I'm planning on starting with this the next time I visit!!!
    I put it down to my walking stick but now that I've been using the elbow crutches my good leg has started to get worse. You can't win - can you??? Arthur keeps attaching itself to other joints.

    Take care.
    Sharmaine
    mike77 wrote:
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hi
    Yes, I have this a lot. It didn't help that I was using my walking stick all the time - I've now started using elbow crutches and this helps to keep me more balanced (OA in both knees) and I have more support when I'm out and about. The OT has just fitted handrails up the stairs which means I don't have to rely on my walking stick.

    When it's particularly bad I have to take an extra amytriptline and I smother my whole arm with deep heat. I then put a pillow under my arm. If that doesn't work I put a stocking support bandage on.
    I'm right handed and some days the pain is unbearable. I also use a heat pad. I only use my walking stick if I have to walk up the garden now or at night if I have to visit the loo.

    I've seen shoulder supports in a disability aids magazine. See your OT and maybe they can provide one free of charge. I'm seriously considering asking for one.

    Sharmaine
    mike77 wrote:
    Hi , does anyone else have pain right down the whole length of arm , this will not let me sleep all I get from my gp is , it is all down to the Osterarthritis and the rheumy , the only thing that helps is a strong bandage from shoulder to wrist it helps a while then pain returns it is driving me mad at times .

    Mike R & Hazel & mike JR
    Sharmaine lovely name , your pain sounds exactly like mine , the ot here all they do is give you a magazine to order the stuff you need the bandage I have is like a stocking ( only white ) it is the only thing that eases the pain for me sometimes my arm is so hard and swollen and sore to touch just going to look after it my self as the gps are not worried about it.

    Mike R & Hazel& Mike JR
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Mike I get this, I have OA in my neck and the pain I get is really bad down my right arm. It starts at my shoulder and throbbs, but then occasionally I get what I can only describe as a shooting pain down the length of my arm. This leaves my wrist and fingers throbbing as well as my shoulder.

    It seems to get worse of an evening once I start to relax when the kids are in bed. Sleeping is a nightmare and I can't seem to get comfortable with it.

    I've reasently had 6 wks of Physio, My neck pain eased when I had ultrasound pain relief on it, but my arm pain has got worse.

    My Physio refered me for a sterriod injection and I had that today, (boy did it hurt) I'll know in a few days if it's worked or not, although I've been told it will feel worse before it feels better.

    In the meantime the only medication I've been told to take is Ibuprofene, but they don't seem to touch the pain.

    Carol xxx