Any difference between flu and swine flu?

jojo03
jojo03 Member Posts: 77
edited 29. Nov 2009, 08:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Sorry to keep the swine flu debate going, but I'm still undecided about the jab!

I've had "normal flu" a few times, and whilst it wasn't nice, I know I can cope with it. I know some of you on the forums have had swine flu, can you tell me if it differs from normal flu, and if so, in what way?

I've looked at the symptom checker on the NHS website, and I've spoken to someone I know who's had it - they said their main symptoms were a sore throat and temperature.

I suppose I just want to know whether there's anything particularly yukky about swine flu that I might not cope with if I got it!

Thanks as always for your comments,
Jo x.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jo,

I think the worse difference is if you get the complications. Like the other 'different' strains of flu its not gong to be nice but its the complication side that is causing the worry. That’s just how I understand it but those on the immune suppressers are more at risk of the complication side as well as poss catching it in the first place. There may be other differences but I think that’s sort of what is behind the vac etc. Its not certain you would get the complications but it is more likely if you have a lowered immune system. I have no idea how likely that is though and like you I have to make my mind up on having the vac and cus I have dragged my feet I have to do it soon. There are a few positive posts about the vaccine and well I am sort of thinking I will have it....... Today :wink: Take care Cris
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi cris and jo
    i think what cris said is right that its the complications that come with swine flu.
    after thinking about it for weeks now i have booked myself in to have it weds and my kids, my daughter is 2 and has asthma that is always and only brought on when she has a cold so she is like me "high risk" my son is 13 and healthy so i may not get him done. like cris this is what i think today i might change my mind by weds :roll:
    good luck in desiding
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I have just had a letter about my swine flu jab, after much thinking about I have decided to get it done, I do have Asthma as well as RA so better safe than sorry, the other half has Epilepsy so I think he should have it too, more so that if anyone comes in the house with it then we will be ok love Jaspercatxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Yes, I've got asthma too, so after a long chat with the nurse, I've decided to go for it - having it done next Saturday.

Annie
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Unless you have access to a virology laboratory, you probably can't distinguish the two. Symptoms of swine and seasonal flu include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue. Patients do seem to be reporting diarrhoea and vomiting more often with swine flu than is the case for "normal" flu, but in practice the two forms are probably indistinguishable.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8028893.stm#question one

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Thanks for that Joseph.
    I have had the swine flu, mainly because I am in contact with my dil who is suffering terrible problems with Non Hodgekins. It is very important that the person who cares for you has the Swine flu job also. My hubby had a heart attack about 7 years ago now and has diabetes type 1. So he needs it, but hasn't be called yet. He is going to chase it on Monday. I nearly die when I get a chest infection, so definitely glad I had mine.
    joy
  • jojo03
    jojo03 Member Posts: 77
    Thanks for all your responses - much appreciated as usual!
    Jo x.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    The big worry with swine flu is it’s close genetic makeup with the 1919 swine flu pandemic that killed more than the great war and in less time.
    At the moment the focus is on this particular virus and is a big case of over reporting, not many have died from it compared to seasonal flu but every death is on the news right now, it’s causing a panic for the sake of it something the press are very good at, the only really worry if it mutates and starts to take out a lot of people and if it does the inoculation wont be much use if it does change, by the time they have made new anti viral drugs it will have already spread into the population as a whole.
    As for me I’m not going to have the jab I just don’t see the need for me there are others out there who need it more than I, I’ll just take my chances as I always have done. I will use T tree oil on my hands when I go out into town and spend as little time as I can there.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    I've had the swine flu jab, one mistake I made, well not sure if it was a mistake or good thing really. I had it in the middle of a flare up. I am still not right to this day and had it 2 weeks ago. I think it is better to be safe than sorry hence reason I had it but just realise that it does have some side effects with som e people. After the jab iall my flare up symptoms seem to intensify tenfold.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Jo

I think there is a difference, but couldn't give you the medical stuff on it! My husband is on meds to help his eczema and as these drugs compromise his immune system he had to have the normal flu injection as well as the swine jab (one on each arm) on the same day.
    The surgery called him in to have both about 3 weeks ago.

Sharmaine

quote="jojo03"]Hi all,

Sorry to keep the swine flu debate going, but I'm still undecided about the jab!

I've had "normal flu" a few times, and whilst it wasn't nice, I know I can cope with it. I know some of you on the forums have had swine flu, can you tell me if it differs from normal flu, and if so, in what way?

I've looked at the symptom checker on the NHS website, and I've spoken to someone I know who's had it - they said their main symptoms were a sore throat and temperature.

I suppose I just want to know whether there's anything particularly yukky about swine flu that I might not cope with if I got it!

Thanks as always for your comments,
    Jo x.[/quote]