Can a school not authorise a health appointment???

shannonsmum
shannonsmum Member Posts: 68
edited 15. Dec 2009, 16:38 in My child has arthritis
Hi There,

Further to my original post I have had a letter from Shannons head master stating that due to speaking with her nurses and that it is only me that requires the injections to be done on a wednesday morning, the nurses are happy to change the time and day he is not going to authorise any more wednesdays mornings off and i have to change it!!!

Can he do this as its a medical thing?

The reason I chose to have them for her on a wednesday morning is because my mum has always supported me with shannon and this is the only time she can get to mine also shannon worries about it and spends an hour with a bad tummy on the toilet (tmi) before the nurse gets to me which is a 9am and shannon is in school by 9.30am missing 30 mins every wednesday...so i therefore rather it was done in the morning rather than letting her worry all day, and not concentrating on her work at school.

They are making me out to be an awkward mum who is just trying to cause problems but all i want is a happy healthy little girl.

A worried and confused mum

xx

Comments

• gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The school does not have the power to act alone and interfere with your appointments and choose when you can have them.
    The school is there to support Shannon and yourself and if you, as her mother, the person who loves and cares for her and knows what is best for her, chooses this arrangement for the health and welfare of your daughter they should be supporting you and respecting your decision.
    Get into contact with your local child services and advise them of your situation. They always have the childs best interest at heart and will be able to support you and offer advice.
    I am at a loss to understand why the school felt they had a right to contact Shannon's nurses? And also why the nurses dicussed Shannon's private medical arrangements with them? Shannon is deserving of patient confidentiality just as an adult is and the school and the nurses have overstepped the mark.
    It sounds to me like the Head is behaving like a bully and all for 30 - 60 minutes once a week!

Keep us posted with how you are getting on and remember that you are doing a great job looking after Shannon.

Arna x
    Hi There,

Further to my original post I have had a letter from Shannons head master stating that due to speaking with her nurses and that it is only me that requires the injections to be done on a wednesday morning, the nurses are happy to change the time and day he is not going to authorise any more wednesdays mornings off and i have to change it!!!

The reason I chose to have them for her on a wednesday morning is because my mum has always supported me with shannon and this is the only time she can get to mine also shannon worries about it and spends an hour with a bad tummy on the toilet (tmi) before the nurse gets to me which is a 9am and shannon is in school by 9.30am missing 30 mins every wednesday...so i therefore rather it was done in the morning rather than letting her worry all day, and not concentrating on her work at school.

They are making me out to be an awkward mum who is just trying to cause problems but all i want is a happy healthy little girl.

xx
  • shannonsmum
    Hi Arna,

Thanks for your reply, you are so right . He is really bullying me into changing it and as i see it gave me no choice but to give in as he said i will be fined as it wont be authorised anymore so i am panicing. I am just so angry and not sure as to what rights i have...you hear such horror storys about things! I am now also so angry that the nurses spoke to him. I shall be speaking to them when they come on Wednesday...what makes it even worse is that the nurse he did speak has met shannon once and doesnt really know her.

luv
    shannons mum

gickygawky wrote:
    The school does not have the power to act alone and interfere with your appointments and choose when you can have them.
    The school is there to support Shannon and yourself and if you, as her mother, the person who loves and cares for her and knows what is best for her, chooses this arrangement for the health and welfare of your daughter they should be supporting you and respecting your decision.
    Get into contact with your local child services and advise them of your situation. They always have the childs best interest at heart and will be able to support you and offer advice.
    I am at a loss to understand why the school felt they had a right to contact Shannon's nurses? And also why the nurses dicussed Shannon's private medical arrangements with them? Shannon is deserving of patient confidentiality just as an adult is and the school and the nurses have overstepped the mark.
    It sounds to me like the Head is behaving like a bully and all for 30 - 60 minutes once a week!

Keep us posted with how you are getting on and remember that you are doing a great job looking after Shannon.

Arna x
    Hi There,

xx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    just an extra idea are there any governors on school who arent teachers, schools usually have councillors etc....perhaps going from a different angle,but see my reply on other thread.
    This is war now!! and you may not truly believe it but you are in winning position as what they are doing is wrong,discriminatory,harrassment and bullying - thought it was the kids that did the bullying!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I work at a nursery school and we have a parent on the governing board, could see if your daughter's school has one? You might get more joy out of them.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that he's kicking up so much fuss over 30 minutes, surely Shannon couldn't miss that much work!? Have you fully explained to him the reasoning behind having the appts at that time?

I'm sorry you're having all this stress, you really don't need it and neither does Shannon. You have enough to cope with.

x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    i would be putting in a complaint to your surgery 1st thing monday morning.. patient confidentiality, the nurse should not be talking about shannon to another person without your permission, end of.
    i'm so sorry that you are having these problems, it's very obvious that you are having the injections given to shannon at that time because you are caring for her and you know how worrying affects her.
    it makes me so angry.
    i would also contact the local education authority regarding this. look it up online, they were great when i had problems with my daughter being bullied, but i must add she was being bullied by other children, you are being bullied by the head, how dare she say these things to you and basically threaten you with being fined?
    if you ever need any help advice please pm me, also if you cannot find your local education authority let me know.
    take care and do contact the lea (local education authority)
    good luck and please let us know how things go.
    sue
  • shannonsmum
    Hi Sue,

Thankyou I will look up the education authority on here and see what I can find. It has given me such strengh to know that what I feel is right. It is just so stressful for me & shannon, well all my family! I am lucky to have there support. But finding this site has given me the courage to fight.

Thankyou again

Love
    Sam
    xx

suzster wrote:
    i would be putting in a complaint to your surgery 1st thing monday morning.. patient confidentiality, the nurse should not be talking about shannon to another person without your permission, end of.
    i'm so sorry that you are having these problems, it's very obvious that you are having the injections given to shannon at that time because you are caring for her and you know how worrying affects her.
    it makes me so angry.
    i would also contact the local education authority regarding this. look it up online, they were great when i had problems with my daughter being bullied, but i must add she was being bullied by other children, you are being bullied by the head, how dare she say these things to you and basically threaten you with being fined?
    if you ever need any help advice please pm me, also if you cannot find your local education authority let me know.
    take care and do contact the lea (local education authority)
    good luck and please let us know how things go.
    sue
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    omg I can't believe the school has been like this. Our school (even though she's at nursery and starts full time in September) are 100% supportive of any appointments etc that are needed. I've yet to arrange the timing of Kayleigh's injection with the nurse but thinking friday afternoon however if she spends all day worrying about them and school notice she doesn't do so well I WILL be changing the times etc to suit better.

Surely it's in the disabled act as well that she can't be treated like this and unless you have signed a waver to the school allowing them to contact her nurses then your head has no right to be doing this, also did he actually speak with them or just found a letter with her name on and bullying you thinking you won't question it and just change it.

We have a parent support advisor plus all the govenors etc. Does your school have a website (think most do these days) you can look up names you might need to support you etc and go hunt them down on the playground. Good luck with this hope you get the result you want and need.
  • shannonsmum
    illihor wrote:
    omg I can't believe the school has been like this. Our school (even though she's at nursery and starts full time in September) are 100% supportive of any appointments etc that are needed. I've yet to arrange the timing of Kayleigh's injection with the nurse but thinking friday afternoon however if she spends all day worrying about them and school notice she doesn't do so well I WILL be changing the times etc to suit better.

Surely it's in the disabled act as well that she can't be treated like this and unless you have signed a waver to the school allowing them to contact her nurses then your head has no right to be doing this, also did he actually speak with them or just found a letter with her name on and bullying you thinking you won't question it and just change it.

We have a parent support advisor plus all the govenors etc. Does your school have a website (think most do these days) you can look up names you might need to support you etc and go hunt them down on the playground. Good luck with this hope you get the result you want and need.

Hi There,

Thankyou for your reply, I hope you continue to get the support from your little girls school. And I hope she enjoys school and goes through as comfortabley as possible. (((hugs)))

We have school govenors and I have looked them up and have asked one of my parent friends to point them out to me. I will get this sorted and from the support and advice from here it has given me strengh.

Take Care
    Love
    Sam (shannons mum)