rash on palms after steroids by iv

Options
illihor
illihor Member Posts: 283
edited 17. Dec 2009, 16:46 in My child has arthritis
Kayleigh has had her final day 3 of steroids by iv today. i'm not convinced it's working properly as she still won't entertain the stairs and won't feed herself etc but i think that one is because the venflon was in her right hand = right handed :roll: however, all afternoon yesterday she cried in soo much pain about her bum (we're waiting for an mri of her hips to discover what that ones all about, she says bum but it's base of spine).

today after dinner I used a wet wipe to clean up her left hand of choccy (blooming advent calendars haha) and decided to tackle her right hand of all the blood (yes they made a right mess of her hand putting venflon in/out) and when I got to the palm side I noticed a red blotchy rash. I thought at first it might have been the tape as I get rashes and very itchy/burny sensation from it but looked at her left more closely and that's got it too so can't be the tape. Her cheeks are looking flushed and pinkish but not blotchy.

She runs temps daily (haven't done it in a while but in november I took it every day for the whole month) she's anywhere between 37.5c and 38.2c yet before all this I would be lucky to see 37c in her she's a 36.5c girl normally. They have written in a letter i received today that she runs no fevers and has no rashes.

I don't know if the rash is caused by the methylprednisolone pulse or if it's suddenly starting to come out and turning into something else. Gonna call childrens outpatients tomorrow and ask them, but she's also started complaining of stomach aches again (we had that under control as I'm impressed for a 4 year old she takes omeprazole 10mg tablet daily) so I highly doubt it's the ibuprofen :(

Why are things never easy with this child. i'm not sure how to approach things now as it says no fever yet my friend whose a dr when I showed her letter questioned that big time so looks like I'll be doing another temp chart to show hossie this time.

Also peeved off at hossie today, we couldn't go outpatients as we were a last minute booking and they couldn't fit us in today for the 3rd dose so went onto the assessment ward. The dr told us and the nurse with us at the time that we weren't to be put into a room with sicky people, for obvious reasons, yet what did we have girl opposite throwing up then a baby brought in with suspected bronchitis great just what i need. Also they didn't once take her pulse, temp etc today. The other times they've taken it just before hooking her up although on the info sheet they gave me said they take obs before, during, after then one hour after the pulse. The fact nothing was done today concerns me, as yesterday the pulse wouldn't settle properly.

i'm hoping the rash goes by tomorrow but it's def something I want to mention to them and can't be arsed with out of hours dr's who wouldn't do anything but tell me to call up in morning, she and i need our sleep not more trips up to hossie.

Michelle xXx

Comments

• shannonsmum
    shannonsmum Member Posts: 68
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    ((((hugs to you and Kayleigh))))

Could the rash on her hand just be where there was so much going into her hand, I know when my mother in law had it, her hand all puffed up with a rash and they told her its just where it was being pumped into that hand??? not sure but just a thought.

I hope the steroids work soon, from what I remeber from previous post she has it in so many joints so its got to get round to all her joints so may take a while.

Hospitals really have a lot to answer for sometimes dont they!!

Hope you both get some sleep tonight hun.

Take Care
    Love
    Sam
    xx

illihor wrote:
    Kayleigh has had her final day 3 of steroids by iv today. i'm not convinced it's working properly as she still won't entertain the stairs and won't feed herself etc but i think that one is because the venflon was in her right hand = right handed :roll: however, all afternoon yesterday she cried in soo much pain about her bum (we're waiting for an mri of her hips to discover what that ones all about, she says bum but it's base of spine).

today after dinner I used a wet wipe to clean up her left hand of choccy (blooming advent calendars haha) and decided to tackle her right hand of all the blood (yes they made a right mess of her hand putting venflon in/out) and when I got to the palm side I noticed a red blotchy rash. I thought at first it might have been the tape as I get rashes and very itchy/burny sensation from it but looked at her left more closely and that's got it too so can't be the tape. Her cheeks are looking flushed and pinkish but not blotchy.

She runs temps daily (haven't done it in a while but in november I took it every day for the whole month) she's anywhere between 37.5c and 38.2c yet before all this I would be lucky to see 37c in her she's a 36.5c girl normally. They have written in a letter i received today that she runs no fevers and has no rashes.

I don't know if the rash is caused by the methylprednisolone pulse or if it's suddenly starting to come out and turning into something else. Gonna call childrens outpatients tomorrow and ask them, but she's also started complaining of stomach aches again (we had that under control as I'm impressed for a 4 year old she takes omeprazole 10mg tablet daily) so I highly doubt it's the ibuprofen :(

Why are things never easy with this child. i'm not sure how to approach things now as it says no fever yet my friend whose a dr when I showed her letter questioned that big time so looks like I'll be doing another temp chart to show hossie this time.

Also peeved off at hossie today, we couldn't go outpatients as we were a last minute booking and they couldn't fit us in today for the 3rd dose so went onto the assessment ward. The dr told us and the nurse with us at the time that we weren't to be put into a room with sicky people, for obvious reasons, yet what did we have girl opposite throwing up then a baby brought in with suspected bronchitis great just what i need. Also they didn't once take her pulse, temp etc today. The other times they've taken it just before hooking her up although on the info sheet they gave me said they take obs before, during, after then one hour after the pulse. The fact nothing was done today concerns me, as yesterday the pulse wouldn't settle properly.

i'm hoping the rash goes by tomorrow but it's def something I want to mention to them and can't be arsed with out of hours dr's who wouldn't do anything but tell me to call up in morning, she and i need our sleep not more trips up to hossie.

Michelle xXx
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    Options
    thanks for your reply, I don't think it's because that was site of venflon as the other hand has it as well :( will have to keep an eye on her I guess and call them up in the morning if still there or looking worse. I tried to take a photo but it's not coming up very well. I hope it's just coincidence and not something else brewing as she already gets temps I think I'm becoming so paranoid about her :(

At least she can hear lol She had hearing test today and has a good range and just above the limit which is a first so no fighting them saying i don't want grommets.Although he's discharged us from them but I'm not to sure about it as both ears flatlined the eardrum bounce test and he says the drums are concaved so bulging inwards and he can't see any signs of glue ear hmmmmm yet she must have fluid behind as she flatlined the test arghhhh will see how things go and if nursery notice a hearing loss i'll request a test with the school nurse will be a quicker way of getting her seen than calling up hossie again.
  • shannonsmum
    shannonsmum Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Oh sorry I thought was only in one hand...I hope it isnt anything to worry about as you have enough going on, bless you all. Have you tried looking up side effects to it...maybe its just that a side effect.

Shannon only had them into her joints while under anesthetic so I cant really help.

xx

illihor wrote:
    thanks for your reply, I don't think it's because that was site of venflon as the other hand has it as well :( will have to keep an eye on her I guess and call them up in the morning if still there or looking worse. I tried to take a photo but it's not coming up very well. I hope it's just coincidence and not something else brewing as she already gets temps I think I'm becoming so paranoid about her :(

At least she can hear lol She had hearing test today and has a good range and just above the limit which is a first so no fighting them saying i don't want grommets.Although he's discharged us from them but I'm not to sure about it as both ears flatlined the eardrum bounce test and he says the drums are concaved so bulging inwards and he can't see any signs of glue ear hmmmmm yet she must have fluid behind as she flatlined the test arghhhh will see how things go and if nursery notice a hearing loss i'll request a test with the school nurse will be a quicker way of getting her seen than calling up hossie again.