Methotrexate & Sleep or lack of??

shannonsmum
shannonsmum Member Posts: 68
edited 23. Jan 2010, 07:39 in My child has arthritis
Hi Everyone,

Just some advice please, Shannon (8) is on methotrexate injections. She has never been a big sleeper right from when she was born!! But lately she has got so much worse and it is getting to be very distressing for us all. I don't know who to go to or where to begin. As you know she is having trouble at school, so i know this is playing on her mind and I also am interested to get her tested for dyslexia! Shannons home tutor picked up a couple of things and said maybe worth getting her tested but I am looking into that, still researching info.

But my main question is: has anyone suffered insomnia while on metho?? Could this be whats stopping her from sleeping??

She just cant seem to shut her body down when goes to bed, we have tried everything to help her but am now just at a loss and also very tired! It all has a knock on affect with Shannon as she is behind at school but isnt helped by the lack of sleep!

Help!!!!

Thanks
Sam
XX

Comments

• nuishka
    nuishka Member Posts: 28
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi shanons mum.my daughter gets 15mg of mtx and deosnt have problems with sleeping,i just cant get her to wake up,she could sleep for scotland
    lorraine and lauren

Just some advice please, Shannon (8) is on methotrexate injections. She has never been a big sleeper right from when she was born!! But lately she has got so much worse and it is getting to be very distressing for us all. I don't know who to go to or where to begin. As you know she is having trouble at school, so i know this is playing on her mind and I also am interested to get her tested for dyslexia! Shannons home tutor picked up a couple of things and said maybe worth getting her tested but I am looking into that, still researching info.

But my main question is: has anyone suffered insomnia while on metho?? Could this be whats stopping her from sleeping??

She just cant seem to shut her body down when goes to bed, we have tried everything to help her but am now just at a loss and also very tired! It all has a knock on affect with Shannon as she is behind at school but isnt helped by the lack of sleep!

Help!!!!

Thanks
    Sam
    XX[/quote]
  • tracy78
    tracy78 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone,

Help!!!!

Thanks
    Sam
    XX

I'm having the same problem with my 11 year old, constantly tired but cant sleep at night, when she does finally get to sleep she wants to stay in bed all day.
    She's always been great and went to bed regular, only since she has been on all the meds this has started.
    Sorry I havent helped much, just wanted you to know your not alone.
  • salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    sorry your daughter is not sleeping imo its unlikely to be the methotrexate. apologies if you have already done this but i would sugest a wind down routine hot bubble bath (lavender, chamamoile etc, dim lighting or a lavender candle then in to her warm bedroom, dimly lit a relaxation cd or soft calming music that she likes you can buy hot plate type gadgets for aromatherapy oils so no flames. nice hot milky drink and minimal interaction just encourage her to lay back and rest rather than sleep. leave a glass of water or squash.
    is she in pain or stiff? experiment with raising the bed (head end or foot) with bricks and using extra pillows under knees, arms etc ot may provide wedges, rolls etc gp may be able to prescribe a more relaxing pain med or adjust the times of the meds she takes all ready.
    i dont know how old your daughter is but having grown up with an extremely sick brother and worried parents is it possable the sleep issues are a habit or way of getting 1 to 1 time after a poorly spell? this wouldnt nessescarily be deliberate on her part and i dont want you to be offended by that but its a strange time the middle of the night for your own sanity you may need to sugest she watches her tv or reads quietly only waking you if its urgent untill a set time if she is old enough to do this,
    Hope you find some relief soon xx
  • shannonsmum
    Hi Tracy,

Thanks for you reply, its so tough isnt it! Hope you get some rest soon, I now have the biggest black eyes as my little boy is also having night terrors so just get on sorted and the other starts!!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Take Care
    Sam
    xx

tracy78 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

Help!!!!

Thanks
    Sam
    XX

I'm having the same problem with my 11 year old, constantly tired but cant sleep at night, when she does finally get to sleep she wants to stay in bed all day.
    She's always been great and went to bed regular, only since she has been on all the meds this has started.
    Sorry I havent helped much, just wanted you to know your not alone.
  • shannonsmum
    Hi, Thanks for your help. I am open to suggestions! Shannon is 8. We have done the calming bath, lots of cuddles and snuggles in her bed. Shannon is saying she is not in pain and her joints all seem ok...but shannon could be limping with the worst swollen joints and still swears she is not in pain as hates going to the hospital and having more treatments, so its tough to know what pain she is in!! The trouble I have is getting her to rest she will not let herself lay back and relax its like her body wont relax! I have spoke to the school nurse and she has said its just for attension as she has had so much its what she is used to and that I should just ignor it! I'm not a one for them watching the tv when they go to bed, I dont mind books to read but I feel the tv may just wake her up even more!! For the last 3 nights I have let her start off in my bed and this seems to be working for now. But my little boy (4) has just started having night terrors, just get one sleeping now the other starts!!! im so zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. xxxxx

salsal wrote:
    sorry your daughter is not sleeping imo its unlikely to be the methotrexate. apologies if you have already done this but i would sugest a wind down routine hot bubble bath (lavender, chamamoile etc, dim lighting or a lavender candle then in to her warm bedroom, dimly lit a relaxation cd or soft calming music that she likes you can buy hot plate type gadgets for aromatherapy oils so no flames. nice hot milky drink and minimal interaction just encourage her to lay back and rest rather than sleep. leave a glass of water or squash.
    is she in pain or stiff? experiment with raising the bed (head end or foot) with bricks and using extra pillows under knees, arms etc ot may provide wedges, rolls etc gp may be able to prescribe a more relaxing pain med or adjust the times of the meds she takes all ready.
    i dont know how old your daughter is but having grown up with an extremely sick brother and worried parents is it possable the sleep issues are a habit or way of getting 1 to 1 time after a poorly spell? this wouldnt nessescarily be deliberate on her part and i dont want you to be offended by that but its a strange time the middle of the night for your own sanity you may need to sugest she watches her tv or reads quietly only waking you if its urgent untill a set time if she is old enough to do this,
    Hope you find some relief soon xx