This week has been so stressful

illihor
illihor Member Posts: 283
edited 16. Jan 2010, 11:54 in My child has arthritis
Kayleigh had her MRI yesterday which at her age they do under a GA. That was the most horrible experience yet, she was in full mid scream when they put her to sleep and her eyes rolled up in her head and she went limp on me, I managed to hold it together till I was out the room then broke down crying. A nurse came out and comforted me but I was a wreck. They told me it would be 20-60 mins but more likely 40 with what they had to do. 2 hours past at which point I was getting nervous. My head was telling me don't be stupid you can see the door if anything had gone wrong I would know but it didn't stop me worrying. Finally a nurse came out and told me there had been an artifact on the machine that they couldn't get rid of but it's all clear now and scans gone well. Was another 30 mins before they told me they were going to wake her now and then I could go in.

Once they woke her omg how much pain was she in :( She was a total state and remained in agony till the morning. Once home I gave her dinner then a packet of crisps which most children even in pain will eat but she was in that much pain I had to literally put the crisps in her mouth. Even this morning she was still very wobbly on her feet and fell down loads. She's fine now thank goodness.

I never made it to hydro this week as the snow/sleet hit us on tuesday afternoon and it took over an hour to get to the hospital when it is only 5 minutes up the road :o

We have got another consultant appointment on monday and she's already warned me that they would like to giver her another steroid pulse :( so that's another 3 days with the cannular in and yet more school missed. I feel like she's hardly been there in the last 2 months :(

Sorry to go on just needed to get that off my chest. I hardly slept last night as everytime I closed my eyes I just got the image of Kayleigh's eyes rolling back in her head and going limp on my lap when they put her asleep it's still here now just as vivid as if it had just happened.

Comments

• kirsty123
    kirsty123 Member Posts: 42
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi hun it sounds like u have had a horrific time, my love to u and the wee one, things can only get better now, i have my fingers crossed for you and hope monday goes well
    Kirsty xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I am sorry to read all you have both been through.Not to worry about missing school....lots of kids have missed school lately.If she is able she can still learn whilst at home from books,T.V or computer.
    i still have an image in my head from when my son had to have an anaesthetic.He looked so scared and appealed to me to help him but I had to let go.
    Just be there for her,
    Best wishes to you both
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    you poor thing, it's so frightening seeing them go under a GA, my daughter had to have a tooth removed because it was not formed properly when she was just under a year old. it was a small dose as she was only asleep for a short time but holding her whilst they gave her the GA (luckily it was gas not an injection) was awful, she struggled so much then just went limp, it was horrible. she is now 3 (today!) but i can really sympathise on how you feel.
    i'm glad that parts over and i really hope things are easier for you both today?
    sue
  • shannonsmum
    shannonsmum Member Posts: 68
    Hugs to you both. GA is not a nice thing to go through. Shan has it when she has to have her joints drained and steroids put in, she gets so scared, even just to get pre meds in her is bad enough.

Hun as far as school is concerned put it to the back of your mind and what will be will be. Just do what you can with her when you can. Are they sending work home? or things for her to do? Just keep them informed when you can. Thinking of you & Kayleigh.

Take Care
    Sam
    xx

illihor wrote:
    Kayleigh had her MRI yesterday which at her age they do under a GA. That was the most horrible experience yet, she was in full mid scream when they put her to sleep and her eyes rolled up in her head and she went limp on me, I managed to hold it together till I was out the room then broke down crying. A nurse came out and comforted me but I was a wreck. They told me it would be 20-60 mins but more likely 40 with what they had to do. 2 hours past at which point I was getting nervous. My head was telling me don't be stupid you can see the door if anything had gone wrong I would know but it didn't stop me worrying. Finally a nurse came out and told me there had been an artifact on the machine that they couldn't get rid of but it's all clear now and scans gone well. Was another 30 mins before they told me they were going to wake her now and then I could go in.

Once they woke her omg how much pain was she in :( She was a total state and remained in agony till the morning. Once home I gave her dinner then a packet of crisps which most children even in pain will eat but she was in that much pain I had to literally put the crisps in her mouth. Even this morning she was still very wobbly on her feet and fell down loads. She's fine now thank goodness.

I never made it to hydro this week as the snow/sleet hit us on tuesday afternoon and it took over an hour to get to the hospital when it is only 5 minutes up the road :o

We have got another consultant appointment on monday and she's already warned me that they would like to giver her another steroid pulse :( so that's another 3 days with the cannular in and yet more school missed. I feel like she's hardly been there in the last 2 months :(

Sorry to go on just needed to get that off my chest. I hardly slept last night as everytime I closed my eyes I just got the image of Kayleigh's eyes rolling back in her head and going limp on my lap when they put her asleep it's still here now just as vivid as if it had just happened.
  • lucymum
    lucymum Member Posts: 113
    bless poor u hun!!! what a traumatic experiance, have you recovered? How is ur little one!?

Lucy has her next appointment on Monday too, we have hurd nothing from physio yet, but on the good side the school counceling system has been in contact with both the girls to help them cope with the new "status" of having a disability and being a carer!!!

I hope your appointment is not too stressfull on monday hun x x
    I send all my love x x