Gout

geezer
geezer Member Posts: 3
edited 8. May 2010, 15:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hi every-one I am new to the forum.
I am looking for some advice from any-one who has severe gout attacks.
I have had gout in my knee and both feet since November and am currently on crutches.
I am taking arthrotec but to real relief.

Thanks

James

Comments

• chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi James,

I don't suffer with gout and sorry to hear you are having a really bad time with it. I just wanted to say Welcome!

I have been on this forum for 1-2 weeks and find people really supportive as I am sure you will too. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Take care xxxxx

Eve
  • geezer
    geezer Member Posts: 3
    Hi Eve

Thank you and hello
    Hopefully the attack will clear soon

Regards

James
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi James,

Hope you are a little better today. Fingers crossed for you.

Please keep us updated.

best regards x
    Eve
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi James the Geezer
    Good to meet you :D
    Not had gout but my sis has and I beleive it's AGONY!!!
    Wont the doc give you anything else :?:
    Toni x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Hi James and welcome.

Haven't got gout, but I do know how painful it can be! Hope you are feeling a little better today.

Annie
    xx
  • kingarthur
    kingarthur Member Posts: 55
    geezer wrote:
    I have had gout in my knee and both feet since November and am currently on crutches.

Thanks

James

Hey, I had gout a few years back. In my foot!
    It was funny in a sad sort of way..i had my neck collar on because i suffer from Cerviacal osteoarthritis and had to crawl around the house on my kness. It was quite a sight!!
    It was agony...and i hope you get better soon....
    I dont know much about gout...but i believe it has to do with a high Uric Acid content in the blood....and from what i have been told because i have High uric acid,...there are foods to avoid and foods to enjoy....

Here you will find one for gout too:
    http://www.joint-pain.com/foods-high-in-uric-acid.html

I hope this helps....but im no Doctor

Nice to see you here....love and light to you
  • kingarthur
    kingarthur Member Posts: 55
    kingarthur wrote:
    geezer wrote:

Thanks

James

Hey, I had gout a few years back. In my foot!
    It was funny in a sad sort of way..i had my neck collar on because i suffer from Cerviacal osteoarthritis and had to crawl around the house on my kness. It was quite a sight!!
    It was agony...and i hope you get better soon....
    I dont know much about gout...but i believe it has to do with a high Uric Acid content in the blood....and from what i have been told because i have High uric acid,...there are foods to avoid and foods to enjoy....

Here you will find one for gout too:
    http://www.joint-pain.com/foods-high-in-uric-acid.html

I hope this helps....but im no Doctor

Nice to see you here....love and light to you

here is a piece from the above website:

Studies have shown that foods high in uric acid play a major role in the development and aggravation of diseases such as gout. In conjunction with a healthy lifestyle and changes in diet, it can actually be easier to manage than many people believe, as long as the sufferer is willing to make some significant changes in their eating habits.

Gout is a painful disease that is most common in men, especially older men, but can also affect women. It is caused by a condition called hyperuricemia, which means that there is actually too much uric acid in the blood. While uric acid is actually a waste product left over from metabolism of chemical compounds called purines, it can also be found in some foods and alcohol.

Diets to reduce uric acid are extremely helpful in lowering levels of uric acid in the body, and will usually involve reducing or cutting out foods that have high levels of purines.
  • countessheather
    countessheather Member Posts: 114
    Hello James and very sorry to hear you have this realy painfull form of arthur. I dont have this myself but I understand it may as already be mentioned be a reaction to certain foods that have to be avoided. A neighbour years ago developed this in his feet. Dreadfull. Hope that you make a speedy recovery. Heather
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    I have had a few gout attacks, i have to avoid red wine (one tiny sip and im unable to walk for a week :cry: ) and Dark chocolate also triggers an attack. I have to be very careful.

I was recently diagnosed with Gouty Arthritis and was put on Allopurinol.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Bumping for Chris
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    annie_mial wrote:
    Bumping for Chris

thanks annie, that has been a great help
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi James, welcome to the forum, I am sure folks will help as much as possible. I don't have gout, but my father does and he is on Allopurinol, he also has the crystals removed sometimes by his GP. There is quite a lot of information on this site below. I would ask the Doc for another review too.
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/gout/article_em.htm
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).