achy weak ankles

bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 31. Jan 2010, 08:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
i have oa in both knees and a touch in my hips but these last few days my ankles have been very achy on the outter bone at the side [ i suppose it has a name :? ] and feels very weak any thoughts xx
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• bluebeard
    bluebeard Member Posts: 260
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I cannot offer any solutions

however it terms of helping with the stiffness and pain.....

freeze foam cups overnight with water in them...three quarters full

then put a towell on the floor

tear off top two inches of cup, so you have a sort of ice pen

use this to massage over the ankle

the ice will numb the ankle...and then when you have finished the blood will rush in and relieve the pain

also try rubbing algesal or deep heat type cream in
  • bertyboy
    my only worry is that this b----y oa is now in my ankles and as i am going for a tkr in the next few weeks how will my ankles hold out :(
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    bertyboy wrote:
    my only worry is that this b----y oa is now in my ankles and as i am going for a tkr in the next few weeks how will my ankles hold out :(
    Hi bertyboy!

sorry you're having more pain...I can understand your worry about having TKR and now probs with the ankles....

I don't have any wise words other than to try the hot & cold treatment to relieve your pain. The suggestions made by bluebeard are great..so maybe that will work better.

would it be worth trying to speak to your consultant or GP? maybe they could give you more advice or change of meds?

hope the ankles settle and that you are ok to go ahead with the tkr...have you been given a date for that?

Iris x
  • bertyboy
    hi Iris
    will ring the doc on monday and have a word , havent had a date yet but should get one any time is the next few weeks xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi I have weak ankles and had a TKR in July.The hip pain is helped so much by TKR it is such a relief.You will have crutches afterwards and this will help take weight off your ankles.
    Cheers and good luck
    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein