Can anyone recommend a good self help book for me

suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 31. Jan 2010, 15:27 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have been having a few problems with memory and it effected me in concentrating on reading in fact i stopped. everyday things were getting hard. I saw my gp and have been diagnosed with depression my seritonine levels were extremly low. I am so glad i went as these tablets have helped me concentrate again. I love reading i had stopped and i lost library books etc now i am setting a goal ive done this for 3 wks now i get 3 books out and they have to go back in a wk and i have to read every book.
I have done this and i am reading lots of self help books and they are helping so much i feel so much more positive have you any books you have read which you could recommend. they dont have to be self help but did make you feel good. I would be extremly grateful best wishes joanne
Joanne

Comments

• moonseed
    moonseed Member Posts: 289
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joanne,

Sorry to hear of your problem which I have suffered from myself a few years back. This was due to brain damage and was quite serious and could not read a whole paragraph because by the time I had reached the end of it, I had forgotten the beginning and had to start over. It's extremely frustrating.

Although I cannot help you with any book titles, there are a few tips that I have picked up along the way.

Colour coding groups of objects can help in the kitchen for instance.
    Music is a great help i.e. certain songs can jog your memory on lots of different things. I relied on this a lot and it worked very well.

Another tip if you cannot remember what shopping you need such as eggs, bread, potatoes and a piece of fish. I would convert this into eggs on toast and fish and chips.

Hope this helps a little bit.
    Regards,
    Steph
  • bobbid
    bobbid Member Posts: 85
    Hello Joanne

My elder brother suffered brain damage when on active service. He is more or less fully recovered now. He had memory loss. He found that keeping a computer diary was very helpful. He kept a list of what he had to do each day and printed this out. He ticked off each item as he did it. Previously he kept thinking he had done things when he hadn't. This helped him a lot with keeping track of the everyday things in his life.

I don't know whether this will help you. It depends on you being OK with computers.

Good luck.

BobbiD
  • suncatcher
    Thanks for your replys i shall certainly try your tips out they are different than what ive read about so ill give em a go thanks joanne
    Joanne
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    rehab44 wrote:
    I went into Waterstones once and asked a the young lady behind the counter for directions to the self help section, quick as a flash she said, " wouldn't that be defeating the object"

Cheeky cow! :roll:

Oops! rehab that was probably me :oops: Have always wanted to do that. :lol: Can't have been me as just realised you said young lady :?

Joanne if you are managing to read 3 books a week I think you are doing very well to keep the concentration. If you are wanting general self help type titles, anything by Louise Hay or Susan Jeffers might be worth a look. Good luck

Chris
  • bobbid
    bobbid Member Posts: 85
    Hello Joanne

Just another thought on this. Perhaps you are trying to run before you can walk.

I remember with my brother having to do things in lots of short steps.

Perhaps reading a book is too big a task at present. How about just reading articles in the newspaper - just short interesting ones, nothing too heavy. Once you can mange this, slowly build up from here.

I hope you find this helpful. I do sympathise with your problem, having seen a similar thing close up. Don't give up. It may take some time but you WILL get there.

Love from Bobbi D
  • suncatcher
    bobbid wrote:
    Hello Joanne

Just another thought on this. Perhaps you are trying to run before you can walk.

I remember with my brother having to do things in lots of short steps.

Perhaps reading a book is too big a task at present. How about just reading articles in the newspaper - just short interesting ones, nothing too heavy. Once you can mange this, slowly build up from here.

I hope you find this helpful. I do sympathise with your problem, having seen a similar thing close up. Don't give up. It may take some time but you WILL get there.

Love from Bobbi D

Thats why im going for self help books as they are shorter and you can do them in short chapters. rather than a noval which you have to remember the story. Im managing to return me books on time no more fines and am not losing the books as i put em in one place getting better tho thanks from joanne
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    rehab44 wrote:
    I went into Waterstones once and asked a the young lady behind the counter for directions to the self help section, quick as a flash she said, " wouldn't that be defeating the object"

i like that one :lol:
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    chris7 wrote:
    rehab44 wrote:

Oops! rehab that was probably me :oops: Have always wanted to do that. :lol: Can't have been me as just realised you said young lady :?

Joanne if you are managing to read 3 books a week I think you are doing very well to keep the concentration. If you are wanting general self help type titles, anything by Louise Hay or Susan Jeffers might be worth a look. Good luck

Chris
    Ive taken a note of these authers and will look out for their books thanks from joanne
    Joanne