Hello

chahoua
chahoua Member Posts: 29
edited 12. Feb 2010, 16:12 in Say Hello Archive
I'm new to this forum so just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Jackie. I was diagnosed with juvenile chronic arthritis when I was 18 months old. Then when I was around 7 I was rediagnosed as having Psoriatic Arthritis (had the psoriasis since birth more or less). I'm now 33 and the arthritis effects me the most. My psoriasis has practically cleared thanks to 9 years of methotrexate. To cut a long story short I'm now on Enbrel and think it's a wonderful drug. I've been on it for nearly 6 years now and my quality of life has improved greatly.

xxx

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    chahoua wrote:
    I'm new to this forum so just thought I would introduce myself. I'm Jackie. I was diagnosed with juvenile chronic arthritis when I was 18 months old. Then when I was around 7 I was rediagnosed as having Psoriatic Arthritis (had the psoriasis since birth more or less). I'm now 33 and the arthritis effects me the most. My psoriasis has practically cleared thanks to 9 years of methotrexate. To cut a long story short I'm now on Enbrel and think it's a wonderful drug. I've been on it for nearly 6 years now and my quality of life has improved greatly.

xxx

HI Jackie & welcome!

I'm glad to hear that the MTX and enbrel combo is working for you. I am taking MTX & leflunomide at the mo but have been asked to consider one of the biological drugs in a while. It is good to hear positive things about them!

Do you do your own injections? I was wondering if they can both be injected on the same day or different ones? I go to my GP surgery for my jabs as I am needle phobic (well as far as doing my own jabs is concerned!!) so might need a season ticket if I have to add another appointment in!!

anyway, it's good to 'meet' you and I hope you find the forum a useful and supportive place.

hgus
    wonky
  • chahoua
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm not on methotrexate anymore. The side effects got too much for me to cope with. I was on methotrexate injections for 9 years and had enough of feeling grotty for half a week. When I came off it, anti-TNF drugs had just become licensed (a bit of good luck for me for a change).

I do self-inject enbrel. It was very daunting at first but now I don't think about it. The anti-TNF nurses were great at reassuring me - I was chicken at first...lol. I've had much fewer side effects with Enbrel than I've had with other DMARDS and biologics. In fact the main problem I've had is I'm sensitive to certain foods I used to love now (bananas, capsicums and tea!).
  • chahoua
    Thank you for warm welcome Lynn.

I've certainly experienced a vast improvement in treatment over the last ten years or so...lol. When I was younger it was more or less steriods, NSAIDs and/or gold injections, that was it. My parents were told it'd be likely I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I reached my 20s. Luckily they were wrong....lol. I do need a new knee now but my surgeon is hoping to put it off until I'm nearer 40....we'll see! I do get my days when I'm really down and fed up but I try and remain positive (which can be very hard). xxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Jackie

A big warm welcome from me tool.

We do try to support one another on the Forums.

You can rant or scream if that helps, but we will still be here for you.

We also like having some fun as well. A word of warning, some of us, are quite mad at times.

On the CChat Forum there a cafe, where you can eat whatever you want. We have do have a lot of laughs, it can become very addictive.

Hope to see you post soon

Love Trisher xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hio Chihauha

Have you got one then?? A little doggie?

Seriously welcome to the forums from me :D Thisnk I just saw you over on the lWA :) Good to meet you

Love

Toni x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jackie

Just popping in here to say a big welcome from me too. Glad you feel you have some meds, that are really helping. Sorry you have struggled with this for so long though. People on here will help if they can so do ask any questions you have either here or on the helpline phone number. We have a laugh on chit chat too when you need one. Will look forward to seeing you around.
    take care
    Chris
  • chahoua
    Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone. :D
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hio Chihauha

Have you got one then?? A little doggie?

Seriously welcome to the forums from me :D Thisnk I just saw you over on the lWA :) Good to meet you

Love

Toni x

Chahoua is a species of gecko which I keep....lol. I have got two little doggies but they're both mutts though. :wink: