Going Veg??

mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 26. Feb 2010, 10:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all, I'm thinking of maybe cutting out meat from my diet. Various reasons, animal welfare and I just don't think meat eating suits me. Just wondered if anyone on here can help a bit; does it have any effect on your condition?

I cut coffee out last year as I found I was suddenly 'hypo' on it, due I'm pretty sure to the meds I am taking.
I have half a glass of wine with my evening meal (most times I pass it over to himself as I can't drink it).

How do you veggies cope with the two meals thing (no way OH will cut out meat).

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hey ho Mousey :D

I have been a veggie now for 20 odd years. Life is much easier theses days nop eating meat.

Are you planning on giving up fish too?? Oily fish can be quite good for you I think (not me) and huibby might still eat that :)

You can buy veg sausages bacon and all sorts mince etc so you can eat the same as O/H easy enough. I also freeze stuff for me like bolognaise and shepherds pies etc to make life easier.

Does that help a bit?

Hit tesco and see what they have - you'll be suprsied :D

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Mousey,

Like Toni I also don't eat meat or fish...... I think sometimes its easier to digest meat cus of the IBD and its dislike of fiber and cellious stuff. Its makes my diet a bit more restricted than most veggies.

I totally agree with Toni Tescos have a huge array of veggie food..... I use a lot of quorn and its got the same protein content as meat I think? Am I healthier or not I don't know, I do eat eggs and as yet haven't given up dairy as yet and well I eat eggs cus I got chicken and I know they aren't sitting and will never become chicks :wink: Good luck though and its still alright to eat blue wrapper drum playing stuff so I'm happy :lol::lol: Cris x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Mousey
    i read that cutting out red meat can help with RA, but then i have read so many sites and so many things not to eat so far i should be just drinking water and eatting bananas :roll:
    please let us know if it helps you.
    as others have said the veggie stuff is pretty good now. i eat meat but have a friend i stay with sometimes whos very strict veggie so i dont eat meat when i am there.
    All the best
  • frogmorton
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, it is far easier to cater for an ex meat eater as the meat can be cooked separately or even removed from a dish, depending on how fussy the vegetarian is. As others have said there are some good meat substitutes, fausages, fince, fam, facon etc that once cooked are hard to tell from their meat counterparts.[/quote]

Fussy??
    Me???
    Fussy???

Cris

You coming over to Del's for tea :wink: :?:

Toni xx
  • rosebud
    rosebud Member Posts: 52
    I wonder if any of you can help me?

DS decided to become veggie about 6 weeks ago. I'm not finding it too much of a prob as he often eats at different times to us anyway due to training committments. anyway, I'm a bit worried about him geting enough iron and B12. He's not keen to take a supplement and does not like marmite.

any sugestions?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi MouseyMousey,

My daughter had glandular fever 18 months ago. She changed her diet to mostly fresh,uncooked veg and fruit although she does have potato, carrot and onion soups too.She has got her vitality back, eats tons and doesnt put on any weight.
    I love veg soups and meatless stews.You can cook the veg first,have your dinner and add meat for hubby later.There is a large variety of veg to choose from.Humus is lovely on toast.
    All the best
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    rosebud wrote:
    I wonder if any of you can help me?

DS decided to become veggie about 6 weeks ago. I'm not finding it too much of a prob as he often eats at different times to us anyway due to training committments. anyway, I'm a bit worried about him geting enough iron and B12. He's not keen to take a supplement and does not like marmite.

any sugestions?

Hi Rosebud...
    will he eat things like pulses, nuts etc and green veg??
    I dont take supplments either and honestly have been fine so hopefully he will be ok.

Elizabeth - I love verggie soup too specially homemade. :wink:

DEl

Chippie....mmmm versus cooking myself....mmmmm

On my way :D
    Toni xx
  • skezier
    .......but Del what are the chips cooked with or in..... fussy, naw not me....... :lol::lol: x

Hi Rosebud

I have trouble absorbing vit B cus f the crohn's but as Toni said there is quite a bit in a veggie diet. I.m trying to think what quorn has vit wise... and a lot of veggie food does have vit and minerals added in so hopefully he will be ok. x

Hey Toni Del's cooking us dinner then? I agree its easy enough to cook meat and serve it separately..... though..... I'm not so good at doing that :wink: xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Try thw Quorn sausage rolls their flipping great, my wife gets them coz she's a veggi and we all fight over them their that good., also try the quorn pastie an mini scotch eggs again really really nice.

of all the stores Sainsburys stock the most types of Quorn products.
  • skezier
    Hey Del that sounds really good :D Thank you x
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Thank you for the replies. I am going to continue with this, and rather than change everything overnight start with small changes. I bought an 'almost vegetarian' cookbook at amazon. Made some Ministrone for lunch; most yummy if I say so!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi I've been a veggie for about 25 years so nothing to do with the arthritis......I was the only veggie....at that time I had 2 kids and a husband living with me and none of them were veggie. I dont eat meat or fish...but I'm not overly fussy......I dont read the ingrediets on things and think...that ingredient isnt veggie so I wont have the whole thing. I use a lot of quorn mince, quorn pieces, quorn sausages and quorn burgers...My husband cooks sunday lunch and he'll set down 2 meals and say thats the human one and thats the non human one LOL One of these days!!!!!!!! Good luck with changing.
    Love
    Hileena
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    It's my wifes birtday today so I am under orders to make nice Quorn Chile for us all, Hmmm now where did I put those Dorset Nagga's I wonder?, oh their they are!, now I'll just put on me face mask and aspestos glove before I start handling the little blighters. :mrgreen:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    If you do give it a try, be careful that you still get the full vitimins you need, a lot of Vegs tend to be aneamic. Anything is worth a try though, as long as you'r careful. Love Sue