Been swimming for the first time in 9 years

iggly_pop
iggly_pop Member Posts: 27
edited 25. Feb 2010, 11:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
So incredibly happy, in absolute agony, but happy none the less, after nine years of failed attempts i did twenty lengths in an hour and a half, doesnt sound like much
but its made me incredibly happy
Just wondering if anyone else had tried swimming and if they felt this rough after?

Thanks again
Rebecca

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rebecca glad you enjoyed yourself i've got r/a and my rhuemy nurse has told not to swim but i could walk in the water, i miss simming.Other people have told me they have been swimming and did ache afterwards
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi Rebecca, yep, I did. My physio said to do a 3rd of what you normally do and build up. Methinks you've done too much :)
    Sallyx
  • iggly_pop
    iggly_pop Member Posts: 27
    Most likely knowing me,
    Generally rule of thumb, had to stop sports and activity entirely a few years back and starting to get control over my pain so probably pushed it a little too much out of excitement :)
    Hopefully start going every week, give me something to do outside the house :)
    I tried to do the walking through bit but it was so busy just swam instead- probably shouldnt have,but hey just suffer for it tomorrow.
    Has anyone used a hydrotherapy pool before? They're meant to be really good for doing the walking through water, but never actually found one near me, (live in lincolnshire)
    Rebecca
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Rebecca,

Sounds like you done way too much but I'm impressed at 20 lengths :wink: I recon I might do one! :lol: I used hydrotherapy big time when they operated on my back and it made such a difference and got me back n my feet so you could ask your gp and maybe get a referral. Mine wasn't a big pool cus it was in the hospital but it did really help. Good luck. Cris x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Rebecca,
    20 lengths is impressive!

so glad you made it back to the pool but please don't overdo it!

I've never had hydrotherapy but heard it's really good. Irisx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    iggly_pop wrote:
    Most likely knowing me,
    Generally rule of thumb, had to stop sports and activity entirely a few years back and starting to get control over my pain so probably pushed it a little too much out of excitement :)
    Hopefully start going every week, give me something to do outside the house :)
    I tried to do the walking through bit but it was so busy just swam instead- probably shouldnt have,but hey just suffer for it tomorrow.
    Has anyone used a hydrotherapy pool before? They're meant to be really good for doing the walking through water, but never actually found one near me, (live in lincolnshire)
    Rebecca

I had hydro and it was great but only got six sessions. Can ask to be referred again. I can't do the walking in my local pool as it is too deep so have marched on the spot lifting legs high, quite good but I over did that! I haven't got back into the pool for a while due to colds,snow, being away but you've reminded me I've got to start again.
  • heather1
    heather1 Member Posts: 75
    Hi Rebecca

Oh i wish i could go swimming again!
    I tried it afew months ago and it was agony just floating on my back.

You did really well but maybe you should build up how many lengths you do and don't push yourself too hard.

Best wishes
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    I swim every week sometimes 2 or 3 times now its free for my age group :D because its non-weight bearing no strain is put on your joints so is much better for those with joint pain...I love it and although I feel tired and wobbly afterwards I am quite sure the benefits outway the short term tiredness as it feels like a healthy tiredness if you know what I mean....
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi 20 is amazing and yes you over did it but can understand how you feel so be carefull next time and build up you do not want to set a flare off so little and often well done i have to start going again but it was cold last time i went so putting me off lol
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Rebecca

Well done you - you did good :!: :wink:

Glad you enjoyed it and hope you carry on with it - only dont overdo it will you :?

Love

Toni xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I've just noticed others have said the same as I am going to say.

Well done, but you are suffering now.
    20 lengths is quite some going.
    Just hope you haven't overdone it.

I would love togo swimming, but my Chiropractor has said that my neck would not take the strain at the moment, nor my back.
    Also, with PMR my arms and shoulder are quite weak.

My GP has PMR and he can't play a good game of golf anymore because of the weakness in his shoulders and arms.

All annoying, stops you doing what you love doing best, but that's life I suppose.

Well done, but don't over do it. again.

Joy
  • bluebeard
    bluebeard Member Posts: 260
    20 legnths is brilliant

give it a good few days till you go again so as not to push yourself too hard
  • annabout
    annabout Member Posts: 3
    snowball wrote:
    Hi Rebecca glad you enjoyed yourself i've got r/a and my rhuemy nurse has told not to swim but i could walk in the water, i miss simming.Other people have told me they have been swimming and did ache afterwards
    julie[/quote

My RA consultant and my GP both encourage me to swim! They say it is the best thing for RA and the water cushions your joints.

As for the person who swam 20 lengths - you must be mad! That sounds like torture to me. I only swim in the learner pool at my local fitness club, as the water is warmer than the main pool. I sometimes manage 10 or 12 widths with a rest in between. What's the point in making swimming a chore - it should be enjoyed!

I keep well away from the Hydra Therapy pool though as my immune system isn't good and there too many bugs!!
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Rebecca

Glad you enjoyed returning to the pool. Hope you aren't suffering too much today after doing so many lengths and that you soon feel able to go again.
    I've had hydrotherapy to help my OA though as someone said here, you only get 6 sessions initially. I loved it though it did leave me feeling the good tired you get after achieving something.
    The physio says it has really helped my mobility so have been given another few sessions. After these end I am going to try and go to the local small pool which is a bit warmer than the town one and keep up the exercises, and maybe even try a swim again too!
    Really hope you do find it helpfull, well done.
    Chris