Knees

Options
madness1985
madness1985 Member Posts: 293
edited 27. Feb 2010, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello (me again!)

I am just wondering if anyone else has bad knees? They appear to be warm and slightly swollen. The thing is i couldnt sleep last night because of the pain in my knees. When i have to get up from sitting down my knees hurt and am having trouble standin alone, my partner somtimes has to pull me up because of the stiffness.

Is this RA or could this be another type?

Thank You

x

Comments

• heather1
    heather1 Member Posts: 75
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I have trouble with both of my knees.
    Walking is ok but when i sit down,go to kneel down or bending them in bed it is extremely painful.

I find it very difficult to use my back in a proper way as i don't know if to favour my knees or back!
    I have had them x-rayed but nothing has shown up.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    I have trouble with my knees mines due to Osteo
    When they are really bad like yesterday i have alwful trouble walking upstairs the pain is like the worse toothache ever strange thing is i find walking downstairs easier
    They also grate like mad!
    Some days at work they dont feel like walking its as if they dont want to work which is a bit annoying as im on my feet all day
    Getting up from sitting is pretty bad too
    God i sound like an old croc!
    The best thing to do is go to ur Gp & get reffered to a Rhuematologist if you havent got 1 already & get your knee xrayed
    Have you been tested for the rhuematiod factor if not its probably woth doing its only a simple blood test
    Good luck
    Mx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    You are describing the very symptoms I first experienced before being diagnosed with R.A. Mine came on very suddenly and I had the same probs standing up from the chair/sofa.I used to rock back and forth in order to get enough strength/momentum to get out of the chair but after a while couldnt even manage that so needed extra help from others.
    Might be worth checking out.
    All the best Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi think mine oa and knees not good at the moment can not stand bed clothes on them as hurt some swelling in left one do not like the feeling when there fluid in them . get to doc and get it checked out good luck. also have ia so could be mix of both for me lol
    val
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Madness

I have just had a total knee replacement surgery (OA in both knees) the next surgery will hopefully take place next year.

The stiffness and swelling sounds as if it could be arthritis but you will need to see your GP for x-rays; blood tests for a definitive diagnosis. Make an appointment soon.

Regards
    Sharmaine
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi madness

Yes probably RA, like me you sound as though you have it in a lot of places, or it could be that they are taking the strain from another part of your legs or feet/ankles and therefore suffering as a result.
    Mention it when you next see rheumy. Going to see mine later today, so am feeling a bit nervous but don't know why, he is lovely! One of the good depts at Stafford hospital, honestly, after all the bad press about it!!

Janie
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Madness i have r/a and suffer same things with my knees
    i find putting my wheat bag in microwave for a couple of mins then putting it on my knees help, however they say if they are red and inflamed you should put ice wrapped in a towel on your knee i tried it but all it did was make me go to the loo.
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Its like you were a fly on my bedroom wall!! :lol:

I have RA which has been in my hands wrist ankles and feet for 4 years but the last month I have had a gradual build up of pain and stiffness in my knees. Last night I too could not sleep due to the pain and have struggled to walk at all today x its terrible pain when I rest and just get up (or try anyway). So its possible its RA for you too.
    Hope things improve

Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • madness1985
    madness1985 Member Posts: 293
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your messages. I do have RA and its realli geting me down. I have had probs with my feet for a while (confirmed damaged). I saw my GP today and she had to come down stairs because i couldnt get up to her room! She said its likly just spreading to other joints and wait til you see rhym in 3 months! I then saw my physio who said not much we can do just exercise it and see your rhmy in 3 months!

My rhmy wont see me for 3 months because hes waiting for my cardiologist to get back to him on whats going on and they have started lowering my steroids as well because of my heart and im in terrible pain now in a new joint .. quite grumpy today

madness x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your messages. I do have RA and its realli geting me down. I have had probs with my feet for a while (confirmed damaged). I saw my GP today and she had to come down stairs because i couldnt get up to her room! She said its likly just spreading to other joints and wait til you see rhym in 3 months! I then saw my physio who said not much we can do just exercise it and see your rhmy in 3 months!

My rhmy wont see me for 3 months because hes waiting for my cardiologist to get back to him on whats going on and they have started lowering my steroids as well because of my heart and im in terrible pain now in a new joint .. quite grumpy today

madness x
    Poor you! A big hug from us all we all feel for you xx
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Have you put some ice on them. A lot of people don't like doing it but for me it really works. It's worth a try.

Hope you feel better soon.

I too have had a TKR and I know that knee pain isn't nice.

Take care.

Sally.