One of those days

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 25. Feb 2010, 07:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi everyone

Why do we get days when everything seems to go wrong? I've just had one of those days when things have combined against me, so I'm quite glad that it is nearly over now.

Among other things, my car broke down and a horrible noise came from the engine. The man at the garage looked and shook his head, and he said it was very poorly indeed. Something about belts and alternators, but I haven't got a clue what it all means, so I just nodded my head in agreement. It is bound to be expensive to make it better though.

The day carried on in that way, but I won't bore you with any more details, except to say it was frustrating, annoying, and disappointing in every way.

Right, moan over, so better luck tomorrow.

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joan, sorry its been a bad day & i wonder if your car came out in sympathy for mine. Its still sitting in a garage somewhere all lonely & broken :(
    I hope its not to expensive & you get it back soon.
    Take care & have a hug(((()))) to make your day a bit better.
    debs
  • joanlawson
    Thanks Debs. In the great scheme of things, a broken down car is not the end of the world, but I felt like John Cleese in Faulty Towers, and I could have hit it when it happened. Shouting at it didn't seem to work either :!: :shock:
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Joan

Sorry you are having one of those days.

The man at the garage may be talking about the fan belt. You may need a new one.

T
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Ah Bless, I does hurt when you kick them, i can vouch for that one :roll: & they never listen when you shout :lol:

I hope it gets sorted for you quick.
    God knows what happening with ours, its been in the garage 4 wks now. wondering if theyve sent it to china to get the parts fitted :shock: It only needs 2 springs & a new front bumper :shock:

Take care debs
  • trisher
    I know what the alternater is but vcannot remember.

If I do I will let you know.

The day is nearly over now. 5 minutes to go :D

Trisher xx
  • joanlawson
    I think I'm the one who needs a new fan belt, Trisher, to cool my fevered brow after today, but it's something worse with my car.
  • trisher
    edited 23. Feb 2010, 19:54
    Did you ladies know that if the fan belt went you can always get it going with a pair of tights :shock: I don't know if it is really true but that is what I was told once.

It would get you home :D
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joan,

If its only the alternator belt it wont be too bad but if its the cam belt that’s not so good so I sort of hope its just the alternator one. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Cris
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Hi Joan

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. Mine wasn't much better so let's hope today is good.

Nx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi Joan sorry you had a bad day yesterday, hope you have a better one today (((())))
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • joanlawson
    Hi

Sorry to bore you with my problems yesterday. It really WAS one of those days, and I was wallowing in self-pity :!: Very childish!!

Today is another day, and so far, so good. I will let you know later!!
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hi Joan
    Sorry about your day. When something like that happens, it's hard to think of anything else.
    Has little man at garage suggested Cam Belt (which on most cars these days, need changing every 40 to 80 thousand miles. If you let those go on then you have got problems.

Lets just hope it is only the alternator belt. I should think you are looking at a £200 bill probably. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    My car has been off the road for nearly 12 months now. OH can do all the jobs on my 2CV and cars up to '98, but modern cars with difficulty.

I really feel for you Joan, because if you don't know anything about motors you are in their hands. You need to take someone with you to the garage who knows about cars.
    Joy
  • joanlawson
    Hi Del and Joy

Thanks for your advice. I haven't got the foggiest about engines, so I'm a sitting duck to be ripped off, unfortunately. I'm sending my OH to deal with it for that reason. ( Very feeble, I know, but I can't get interested in car engines, try as I might )
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Del and Joy

Thanks for your advice. I haven't got the foggiest about engines, so I'm a sitting duck to be ripped off, unfortunately. I'm sending my OH to deal with it for that reason. ( Very feeble, I know, but I can't get interested in car engines, try as I might )

Why do you think I married my OH. If there is a car involved, there is nothing he doesn't know. He's so good, we are driving all the way to the top of Norway in the one he built.

I shall be glad to get me 2CV back on the road as I now feelthat I can drive again, so long as I do short trips.

Well, good luck with the car. You cannot win with a garage though.
    You are in their hands basically.

JOY
  • joanlawson
    Hi Joy

Good news :!: :D My car is back on the road, complete with a new belt thingie. It cost £95, so I suppose anything under £100 these days isn't too bad. Anyway, I've got my wheels back, so I'm happy.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    trisher wrote:
    Hi Joan

Sorry you are having one of those days.
    The man at the garage may be talking about the fan belt. You may need a new one.

T
    Cars don't have fan belts any more as the radiator fan is now electric. The belt is most likely the alternator belt and it doesn't take long to fit a new one. The alternator provides 12 Volt power for the engine and other electrical parts of the car such as the lights. It also recharges the battery and does the same job that a dynamo used to do but better.

If it was the cam belt then you would have big problems, as the valves in the head go down just as the pistons go up and they meet in the middle with a big bang.
    r010.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    If it was the cam belt then you would have big problems, as the valves in the head go down just as the pistons go up and they meet in the middle with a big bang.

If they don't meet in the middle, do they give a little whimper??