new

ollywilmer
ollywilmer Member Posts: 2
edited 27. Feb 2010, 14:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
:shock: all this is very new to me. i am so scared what is going to happen to me in the future . i do not want to be any trouble to anybody but i already am finding every day thingsgetting difficult to do.ie opening bottles making bed silly ever day things can seem like climing a mountain.I realy am feeling sorry for myself today. please some one tell me i will be able to cope better soon and toughen up.

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Ollywilmer

Welcome to the forum. Arthritis can make you feel low so don't apologise for complaining about it. Have you seen your GP yet to find out if you have arthritis and if so what type? I also have OA in the hands, knees and right shoulder. I've bought a few aids to help around the home - jar openers; can openers. The Occupational Therapist has also fiited railings to help me get around; a perching stool which is a godsend in the kitchen (preparing food; ironing etc);
    raised loo seats etc.

I can tell you that you find ways of coping. Set yourself a task each day. Arthritis can tire you out and make your limbs ache even more. Learn to listen to your body and don't overstretch yourself.

My husband has been making the bed for the past few months and doing a lot more jobs around the home and garden that I cannot do. I've just had my first total knee replacement surgery and I can't do much at all. He's been my nurse, carer, cook etc.

Just remember all the things you've done in the past and let your family support you. Sometimes it's hard giving up the reigns but you soon learn too!!

Moan away....I've done lots of it on here!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Take care.

Sharmaine
    ollywilmer wrote:
    :shock: all this is very new to me. i am so scared what is going to happen to me in the future . i do not want to be any trouble to anybody but i already am finding every day thingsgetting difficult to do.ie opening bottles making bed silly ever day things can seem like climing a mountain.I realy am feeling sorry for myself today. please some one tell me i will be able to cope better soon and toughen up.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Ollywilmer

Welcome, have just seen you there sounding scared and fed up today. Don't worry that is perfectly normal and lots of us have been there. You are not alone now.
    Others will be along to say hello and send a supportive hug when they see you. Have you been diagnosed? I hope you have a supportive GP who can guide to the right treatments or referrals. Do ring the helpline number at the top of page or ask any questions on here. It will get easier once the fog clears a little and you have more information and support. Let us know what your diagnosis, questions and worries are, so we can best help.
    Take care of yourself.
    Chris
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello ollywilmer
    I am so gald you have found this forum, it is the best thing I ever did.
    You will get lots of support , we all suffer from different kinds of arther some more then others.post any questions you have on living with arther, and come and join us on chit chat, we all have a moan now and then, and we also have a laugh.
    You do learn to manage in alsoughts of different ways.
    I hope to see you posting more very soon.
    You take care
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Glad you have found us, you do sound as if you need some hugs! Please do join in and as the others have said, ask questions or ask for advice. Almost always there's been someone else with the same question or query.

If you'd just like a laugh and a chat, pop into the cafe on the Chit Chat Forum.

Love
    Annie
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Olly,

Welcome from me as well, they are a really nice lot here. I promise you once meds and tests are done and your sorted out pain wise it get a lot easier. I wonder as the others say have you had a confirmed diagnosis and what meds are you on etc? Listen I have had oa for well over 34 years and pa for ? long and its not as bad now as I thought it would be. Take care and sending you a ((( ))) Cris
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi Ollywilmor sorry you are feeling down and worried we have all been there at some point, have you been diagnosed they are a great bunch on here and offer great advice and support take care
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    I'm glad you've found us! Welcome to the site, which I hope you will find useful for tips and informaion or just to let off steam!

I'm sorry you are having problems, some things you can get help with and loans from the occupational therepist, which you can be referred to if you hav'nt already. I have an electric jar opener, which is very good and a thing like a big plastic hook to open ring-pull cans. We did have to buy those. The occupationl therapist may well offer suggestions about making beds. I have fitted sheets and a loud voice to call up my husband, when I change the bed! :shock:

Feeling shock is a natural thing and I can sympathise, I'm still having tests and am not quite sure of the outcome, I know I have some OA but, still having tests! Give yourself some sympathy and don't worry if you feel down and find things hard, ask on here, often the best suggestions come from here. And everyone knows what its like.
    Love Sue
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Just want to add my welcome to the others....Just had a hip replacement 2 weeks ago yesterday. I have OA....diagnosed about 7 years ago....do you know what kind you have.....once you do and get painkillers it will help....I cant speak about RA but oA comes on gradually.....and I found that I adapted to things without really realising it over a period of time. Its a matter of I CAN DO THIS not I CANT DO THAT......I live at the bottom of a hill and at the top is the village.....I havent been able to do that hill for years but instead of thinking that I think I'm blessed that I have a car and I drive up that hill and park on the outskirts...then walk the rest of the way...you learn to adapt gradually and if you need gadgets your OT will have all sorts of things to offer you. At the moment I have raised toilet seats, hospital chair, perch stool, sponge with long handle, long handled shoe horn, trolly, a grabber to pick things up all from the OT until I get over the op and of course sticks.
    Keep in touch....let us know whats happening or come on and have a good moan....I do......lor any questions....someone will be able to answer them
    Love
    Hileena