Omeprazole

skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
edited 26. Feb 2010, 11:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I know a lot of us are on this and just wandered is it just me that they don't work for? I may/may not have an ulcer so if it is, and actually am 99% sure it isn't one, they haven't worked and the other thing is they do seem to make me feel sick and also create a lot of indigestion.

Thankfully, for now I have zoton and have to say they are so much better in respect of them not giving me indigestion and I feel them calming things down....... I would love to say more but will just see if any of you have similar problems with it....... You all take care. Cris, still wishing the site would load and let me use the spell check :wink: x

Comments

• skezier
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lynn,

Didn't see that ,sorry. See the uslesses said it couldn't be them and there is something else but I really think its crohn's related cus it feel the same as the abscess I got in the ileum...... I had hoped to get sent via my open appointment back to the gasto guy....... I wonder if its possible to ring and just ask....... You can a Rumo :wink:

Hey a friend has given me a lot of info about changeling doctors so tomorrow I try.....

Lynn I was put on these by the consultant before and they changed t so yep I reacn if I can't change I will back to this fairly quickly..... I just want some sleep :roll: See now I will have to play Faithless's Insomnia........ :lol::lol::lol: Luv and ((((( ))))) and thanks again Cris xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Cris

very inetersting isnt it?

And wibberly too....

makes yyou wonder?

Is it a cheap drug?

Love

Toni xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    I was put on Omeprazole long before I was taking drugs for the arthritis.
    Back in 1987, I was tested for Helicobactor Pylori along with my son. One of the Leicester Hospitals were doing research on it and so we were tested.
    My son proved negative and I proved positive. Despite several attempts to irradicate it, nothing has done the trick and so, if I don't take this Omeprazole then I would start getting reflux and feel very sick indeed.
    I've always had a bloated feeling but not indigestion. I suppose this could be the reason. i will ask the question when i next see my GP. Perhaps try something else.

I cannot eat much in the way of bread, white flour (I'm not celiac, not sure of the spelling) because these give me indigestion.
    It's very difficult not to get some reactions to some meds, and perhaps looking at what we eat and testing that might help.

Joy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    That is a thought Joy...
    Glad it works for you though :D
    Toni x
  • paulch
    paulch Member Posts: 103
    :? Hi i too was put on omeprazole back in 1989 when i had a hiatis hernia op done (back then it was a big op ) and also had helicobator pylori too, was on 40mg omeprazole but did make me ill, and now on 20 mg but find i cannot have ryvita or anything like that .paulg
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hiya, when I spoke to the doc about my indigestion (and constant need to burp), he suggested taking two omeprazole daily instead of one.

I was quite fortunate in that the sulphasalazine was kicking in and instead of increasing my omeprazole I reduced the celebrex to once daily. I think the stomach protector was struggling to work with the amount of meds I was taking. Am no expert, just a gut feeling!

Lois x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Skezier

I take Rabeprezole (I hope this is spelt correctly) - Omeprazole doesn't work with me. I have a small hiatus hernia and with all the meds I take need to ensure I take Rabeprezole regularly. I do find that some of the meds irritate my stomach so tend to take my Rabeprezole before taking meds. You have to be careful not to take these at the same time with Diclofenac.

Sharmaine
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Cris, I've been on Lansaprazole (Zoton) for years and I have a hiatus hernia. Mine is also not in a very good position, but since taking the Zoton I have not had any problems at all..........if it gets bad I just double the dose at my GP's suggestion.

I stupidly forgot to take it with me on holiday one year and all the chemist would give me was Omezeprole.........never again. It did no good whatsoever and in fact made things worse, I was really ill until we got home and I could sort things out!

Annie
  • skezier
    I am so glad its not just me....... Annie and Sharmaine I have a sneaking suspicion I got a hernia actually..... I was angerling for your ones Sharmaine but they cost more but like you Annie the zoton is calming it down....... Who knows what is actually wrong with me but I know its not an ulcer this time.... Do either of you get pain just below your sternum and tracking slightly to the right? Sorry....... I off on self diagnosis again now........ Annie I didn't drop the blue eggs today :D xx

Hi Toni,

Oh boy are they cheap! I get the generics cus that’s what my doctors do and the last lot....... I can’t say any more can I :wink: xx

Hi Joy,

I got crohn's and am very careful what I eat cus that payback just isn't worth it :wink: xx

Hi Paul and Lois I am so pleased to know its not just me but wish you to hadn't had trouble. Thanks for getting back to me. ((( ))) for you both and take care xx
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Hi All,
    I have noticed that I get given different types, they come in varying thicknesses of foil, the thicker foiled ones don't seem to work as well as the others and the timing of taking them is more critical.

I get lower gut pain, bloating and pains across the stomach.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Cris

I was prescribed Lansoprazole capsules and it says that they are Gastro-resistants.

I take an awful lot of tablets and I find Iam fine on these.

Have you ever tried taking a glass of milk when you get the indiguestion, I find it really good when I have a rare attach of it.

I hope you get sorted soon Cris.

love Trish xxx
  • trisher
    Cris

Sorry forgot to ask you this.

Is it a pain you have got at all. You say it starts in the chest and tracks to the right.

I'm wondering if it might be Gall Stones.

When I fist had trouble with those, I got indigestion very badly. Then as time went by I got some pain going to the right.

Since then, it got worse so did the symptoms, really bad pain, indigestion, being sick. This went on and they found gall stones.

Why don't you be cheeky like me, ring the gastro's secretary and try to get an appointment, if you have not been discharged.

Trish xxx
  • skezier
    Hi Airwave,

Nice to see you grin again :D Your right about some of them now a days I never got the same 'brand' 2x running....... Hope your ok? Cris x

Hi Trish,

I don't think I am ill enough for gallstones but yep it starts just below the sternum and tracks to the right and if you poke it it hurts...... so don't poke it eh? :lol::lol::lol::lol: I am on some decent tablets at the mo and I so hope I can get another doctor to take me on.... that’s my plan..... ((((( ))))) xxx
  • trisher
    Cris

If you poke it hurts, when you do this are you poking just under your ribs??Do you get any back pain?

The med I told you about earlier, well I have read the leaflet and it is also for ulcers all types.

It is really good though.

Trish xxx
  • skezier
    Hi Trish,

Its the same drug in zoton and it does a lot of things, so least I got that..... Um I got so much back pain as standard but thats the arthritis. trish sop orrying cus it ain't gall stones...... I would be iller than this. I know its not an ulcer cus I had them and this is different but its a bit better today and I can see the uslesses in 9 days if its no better....... and if I am lucky change doctor before then :wink: ((( ))) xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Skezier

I had to have the camera to confirm whether I had a hiatus hernia or an ulcer. Prior to the camera stuff my GP was treating me for an ulcer. Get it checked out. If you have a hiatus hernia you need to be on the correct medication and frankly I don't think omeprazole is good enough. For months I couldn't drink coffee; tolerate greasy food; fizzy drinks; anything made with baking powder etc. My current medication allows me to eat normally including spicy foods, however, I still can't drink fizzy drinks. I can manage to drink a cup of coffee now and again but mainly stick to tea. I used to get really nauseous and often was physically sick.

My hiatus hernia is under control now even with the meds I take.

Sharmaine

skezier wrote:
    I am so glad its not just me....... Annie and Sharmaine I have a sneaking suspicion I got a hernia actually..... I was angerling for your ones Sharmaine but they cost more but like you Annie the zoton is calming it down....... Who knows what is actually wrong with me but I know its not an ulcer this time.... Do either of you get pain just below your sternum and tracking slightly to the right? Sorry....... I off on self diagnosis again now........ Annie I didn't drop the blue eggs today :D xx

Hi Toni,

Oh boy are they cheap! I get the generics cus that’s what my doctors do and the last lot....... I can’t say any more can I :wink: xx

Hi Joy,

I got crohn's and am very careful what I eat cus that payback just isn't worth it :wink: xx

Hi Paul and Lois I am so pleased to know its not just me but wish you to hadn't had trouble. Thanks for getting back to me. ((( ))) for you both and take care xx
  • skezier
    Hi Sharmaine

Yep been trying to see the useless doctors and I got a 1.5min phone conversation and told it was another ulcer, I said it wasn't and he said if it still hurt in 2 weeks to make an appointment.......

I have been sick, feel sick and it really doesn't like lifting or carrying either...... Still only another 8 days and I can phone and see a doctor..... less I can change before then :wink: Cris