anaemic and more tests - iron deficiency

dianaw
dianaw Member Posts: 26
edited 25. Feb 2010, 18:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Have RA badly and only Ritiximab infusion. Have had blood tests and have been referred to a consultant who want to put cameras both ends to see why I am anaemic, blood count 9.2 (was 8.7) but my it is not just that they are concerned about it is the red bloods cells and they are concerned about iron dificiency. I do not look forward to this, they are fast tracking it as they say it is important as anaemia makes your heart work harder. I am so scared, tried to talk to my husband but he is not what you can say very sympathetic (they wanted to do this to him when he had irritible bowel but was too scared to go and have it done). Has anyone out there had this done, they are going to do both ends at the same time. I know they sedate you but I really want to be knocked out, I have to have my infusion next week and in another two weeks after that, this makes me feel very weak and I dont want this done till after my infusion. They want to take bits from my gut and large bowel to see if there is a reason for the iron dificiency.
Anybody out there had this. I am just so fed up of life at the moment. Yesterday my husband lost his temper as he has his own business and grabbed hold of me and made back of my hand bleed and I had to duck when he went to hit me, my kids no somethins is up and I told my eldest the truth, she was disgusted. Sorry to go on but I am really down.
Thanks again
Di x

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Di sorry you are feeling down i have r/a too and i also have rituximab so i know how poorly it makes you. I've had problems with my iron but not had camera, my dad has (both ends) and he was sedated he said he couldn't remember them doing it he was that gone. Di there is a help line number on other page you can ring and get confidential advice hope this is of some help, you can allways come on here and there will always be someone to talk to take care.
    julie x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • dianaw
    [Thanks Julie for your kind thoughts, just so much to put up with and I hate life at home at the moment.
    Di xx
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    I am afraid I can`t help with your medical problems, except to say that it does all sound very stressful.

However, I was concerned with what you are being subjected to, with regards to your husband. You absolutely must not make excuses for any form of violence towards you. It is completely unacceptable. If this behaviour continues, please go along to your nearest Womens Aid Centre, where you will get tremendous support, with complete confidentiality. You can also have one to one counselling, if you feel that this would help you.

One last thing. I feel it would be better not to involve your children at this stage. I realise how difficult that can be, but, unfortunately, it can create even more divisions in the family. I wish you all the very best.......Ange.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 25. Feb 2010, 14:39
    Hi Di, I'm sorry to hear you are going through so much at the
    moment.

I've had endoscopies (x2) to look into my stomach to check for a bleed. You don't feel a thing as they give you sedation. You have to have a friend to come pick you up and take you home. You say you want to be knocked out but this is exactly what the sedation does to you! It's like having valium or something intravenously. You don't know what is going on, believe me. They could have done anything they liked and I wouldn't have known.

I haven't had anything the other end but my Dad did when they were looking for polyps. He said he didn't feel a thing and they removed the polyps at the same time. I think you have to take certain things to prepare you but shouldn't be painful.

Don't be scared to have these procedures. They are bog standard.

I hope things improve for you.
    Sally
  • dianaw
    Thanks Sally for letting me know at least i feel a bit easier now. They have said they want to do the both together save me having to go back twice, will ask for double sedation lol.
    Don't often go on here but it is so nice and friendly and you can talk to people who have been through what we all have to go through with this horrible disease.
    Thanks again will have to let you know how it goes.
    Di xxx
  • dianaw
    angel1 wrote:
    I am afraid I can`t help with your medical problems, except to say that it does all sound very stressful.

However, I was concerned with what you are being subjected to, with regards to your husband. You absolutely must not make excuses for any form of violence towards you. It is completely unacceptable. If this behaviour continues, please go along to your nearest Womens Aid Centre, where you will get tremendous support, with complete confidentiality. You can also have one to one counselling, if you feel that this would help you.

One last thing. I feel it would be better not to involve your children at this stage. I realise how difficult that can be, but, unfortunately, it can create even more divisions in the family. I wish you all the very best.......Ange.

Thanks Ange
    Did not want to tell mu daughter (she is not really a child but 24) she was at my house when we got home and she saw my hand and asked me what i had done. I told her i fell but she asked my husband who said i caught it on a door, she put two and two together and knew what had happened as years ago i was subjected to domestic violence by him but it had stopped. I just broke down when she asked me the truth. I have taken on board the Womens help you have mentioned.

Thanks xx
  • sherry33
    sherry33 Member Posts: 25
    Hi, just wanted to reassure you a bit, I haven't had any endoscopy but in the last three years my red blood count has dropped to below 10 and as low as 8 at some points and I have just been given iron tablets for 3-6 months each time to bring my blood count back up and build up my iron reserves. I have always been told that RA can make you anaemic and folic acid doesn't always help to produce enough blood cells to stop you being anaemic so please don't worry too much it may not be anything sinister at all.
    Love and hugs xxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    Just to say that I hope the tests all go well, I'm sure they will sedate you, but its understandalbe that you should feel worried.

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time at home, glad you've taken up the advice line. Sometimes it helps just to talk to someone and its easier on the phone or by a forum like this. I'm sure you did the right thing in telling your daughter the truth, she old enough to guess and will respect you for being honest.

Lots of love, Sue xxx
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    dianaw wrote:
    Thanks Sally for letting me know at least i feel a bit easier now. They have said they want to do the both together save me having to go back twice, will ask for double sedation lol.
    Don't often go on here but it is so nice and friendly and you can talk to people who have been through what we all have to go through with this horrible disease.
    Thanks again will have to let you know how it goes.
    Di xxx

Please do let us know how things go.
    Good luck!
    xx
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Hi,

Firstly I want to say please take Ange's advice with regards to your husband. You have enough to contend with at the moment.

I have had a colonoscopy twice it is uncomfortable rather than sore. I was sedated and awake for the whole procedure as they wanted me to move into various positions, if you have mobility problems tell them in advance so they can help. The worst part I found was the preparation before, not sure if you will have to do this. But, I had to be totally empty so I was given a diet sheet to follow a couple of days before then I was given a heavy duty laxitive, then I had to fast from the day before. It is an unpleasant feeling having nothing in your body but I coped.

If you want any more info PM me and I will try to help.

I do hope that you feel a bit better.

Love Anne
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hello Di,

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck for your endoscopies. I've had the one for the stomach and agree with the others that you won't feel a thing due to the sedation....so try not to worry about it too much if you can.':wink:' '':roll:''

I'm glad you felt able to tell your daughter about your husband's aggressive behaviour and I hope that she will now be able to be a real support to you.
    I do hope too that you phone Women's Aid helpline or CAB...they will give you a lot of support, information and advice; just being able to talk freely and in confidence to someone experienced and objective can be very helpful.

You have a lot going on just now but we are here for you. please let us know how you are. Hugs ((())). Irisx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Di,

Oh your going through it just now and like the others I have to say don't put up with the aggression...... You don't deserve it at all.

I have had every test they can do either end but you are sedated and though I was awake for both my lower end ones except for the embarrassment its ok. The throat and the stomach one I was knocked out for.

I don't know if you can get one but the easiest and they say the clearest picture come with a capsule with a camera in it...... I had one of those as well cus some bit they just can't reach :shock: and its the easiest way of having it done. You go in swallow it and they put a box on you and you return so many hours after and its all done. I don't know if you can get one of those instead but it might be worth asking?

Either way its not too bad but as Sally said the clean out isn't so good..... last time I had it on birthday :roll: You take care and good luck. ((( ))) Cris x