UPDATE ON THR

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 27. Feb 2010, 14:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well its 2 weeks today {post op} due to have my clips out today.
I'm very sore every morning....very stiff with not moving. gradually eases during the day but still on tramadol and paracetamol.
Did everyone wear their sexy stocking for 6 weeks....after 2 weeks these are driving me mad....very tight and I waken up with a bruised feeling down the side of my leg and last night sitting on the computer I had shooting pains up my shin. I'm giving myself an injection for DVT ...is that not enough sob sob :?: If I saw the consultant today and he said right lets make a date for your other hip I think I would say I'm not having it done. Sorry to be so miserable but its not the result I expected at all.
Love
Hileena

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Hileena,
    It is early days.I wore my stockings for the required 6 weeks and hated them. It was a happy day when I could get rid of them.They feel tight and itchy and uncomfortable but they do help I am told!

I once left them off few a few hours as I forgot to get them put back on.I worried but I am still here.

How is the pain?I noticed that grinding agony had gone straight after my op.That made it worth while for me.You will need to walk about to get everything working again.Just do a little at a time to get your confidence.I hope you will notice an improvement.

I am due to have other hip done eventually.It is bearable at the moment but all ops are worrying and so wait and see how you feel when this hip recovers more.

All the best for a speeedy recovery,
    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Hileena

All the best with having the clips out today.

I know what you mean about the "stockings" - they do irritate and I sometimes take them off for short periods of time. I also roll them down a little when they feel tight. I am 4 weeks post op from my knee op so I need to wear them for another 2 weeks. It is best if you can bear to wear them, most of the time, for the 6 weeks even if you are injecting. This time I had the pills, but 2 years ago I had to do the daily injection and did not like that at all! I understand with a hip op, you do inject for longer.

If it is any consolation to you, Hileena, a few weeks after my FIRST
    TKR I regretted having had the op! I had such a lot of pain and discomfort. This feeling soon passed and as you know I have recently had my second knee op.

It is still very early days for you. I am sure when this hip is all done and dusted you will change your mind and get the other one done in due course.

Chin up,

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Hileena

Oooh you got the sexy ted stockings eh?? Hope your OH isnt getting too tempted :wink:

You know two weeks is still eraly days - I told you I regretted my back opp for AGES about 3 months!! I am such a wimp you see, but now I am SO very glad I had it done.

Juast tell him to set a date for about 1 years time and you'll be ready.

I think you are doloing brilliantly

Love

Toni xx
  • cazaline
    cazaline Member Posts: 61
    Hi Hileena

Good luck with having the clips out today. I remember when I had my stitches taken out, the stitches themselves were not a problem but I had loads of tiny sticky bits all over the scar and I kept squirming when the nurse took them off, it didn't hurt, it tickled!!

Can't really help with the stockings and DVT injections as I didn't have them.

Hang on in there, as they others have said you are still in the early days of your recovery and it's going to take some time before things start to get better. I'm 11 weeks post op and I'm on the list to have my other hip done as well but for first 2 months I absolutely dreaded the thought of having the second one done, but it's now got to a point where my new hip is so much better than the one I haven't had done yet.

Try not to think about the next op yet, just focus on getting yourself through the first one yet, thats your main priority and take it steady, you have another 4/5 weeks until you see the consultant again and a lot can change in that time.

All the best.

Love Caroline xXx
  • rb1234
    rb1234 Member Posts: 24
    Hi Hileena

i can only echo what the others have said. 2 weeks is a really short time after the op. I am 11 weeks post-op now and things feel completely different to the 2 week stage.

I am a really impatient person and wanted it all to be fixed immediately. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Everyone kept telling me to wait a few more weeks and things would feel better. Annoyingly - and pleasingly - they were right.

Your new hip has a lot of healing to do and that, plus the bruising will make it sore and stiff. Keep going with the physio - I can't beleive i'm saying this but it really helped to the point i almost enjoyed it becuase it felt looser after. You will get there.

With the stockings I must admit i removed them the minute i got home from hospital. I didn't let myself sit in one position for too long (DVT and stiffness) but don't know if that would have made any difference. I took tablets for a month after the op for anti-clotting. I found the stockings hurt - they made my knees swell. Not sure my advice is the best there from a medical perspective but it made me feel better at the time.

Good luck with the staples. I was really lucky. My scar was glued and there was nothing to remove!

Keep going, it sounds like you are doing well. It will get easier. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Hileena

I'm sure you'll feel better when you have your clips out and will sleep better too. My MIL said she started to feel a huge improvements when they were removed. She's had both hips done now. My TKR will be 2 weeks old on Monday 1st March when I have my staples out.

Those stockings are horrid. I was told by the nurse that after a week I should leave them off during the day and sleep with them on at night. I could handle that. I found wearing them all day made my operated leg feel ten times worse.
    The whole length of my leg from thigh to toe is bruised and very painful and wearing the stockings irritates me.

They told me I would have to inject myself to avoid DVT but I said there was no way I could do it and asked for tablets. They gave me a 2 week supply of Rivaroxaban for this. I think you have to ask for the tablets - the nurses would happily let you inject - but I am needle phobic. You are very brave doing that - I just couldn't. Next time get the tablets.

Last night, for the first time, I had a real good cry - I told my husband that my leg felt so heavy and sore and I never wanted to go through this pain again. Sleep has been difficult and uncomfortable. However, OH put 2 pillows under the mattress and I slept like a baby last night. I don't know much about THR but my new knee feels alien and heavy. I have to ask OH to help me lift my leg to get into bed (we have a divan bed which is quite high) and I can't lift my leg that high without screaming in pain.

I think these first few weeks are very difficult and we have to be strong. I have to have another TKR next year and I know I'll go ahead with it.

You're just feeling down and I think that is to be expected. I didn't know you could take paracetamol with the tramadol - I may have a couple before bedtime!!! :wink:

With regards and cyber hugs.

Sharmaine

quote="hileena111"]Well its 2 weeks today {post op} due to have my clips out today.
    I'm very sore every morning....very stiff with not moving. gradually eases during the day but still on tramadol and paracetamol.
    Did everyone wear their sexy stocking for 6 weeks....after 2 weeks these are driving me mad....very tight and I waken up with a bruised feeling down the side of my leg and last night sitting on the computer I had shooting pains up my shin. I'm giving myself an injection for DVT ...is that not enough sob sob :?: If I saw the consultant today and he said right lets make a date for your other hip I think I would say I'm not having it done. Sorry to be so miserable but its not the result I expected at all.
    Love
    Hileena[/quote]
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Hileena,
    Hope you feel a bit better and the clips have been removed. I haven't had anything like this and can only use my imagination. I think a GA pulls you down as well and takes some time to clear your system.
    Hang in there, ducks - ((((( )))))s.
    Dolittle
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Hileena,

I just wanted to say I hope it all eases for you soon. Cris x
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I felt like that for the first 5 months after having my hip and really regretted it - thinking my life would be worse than before!
    I-m now almost seven months post op and although im still using a walking stick (nerve damage happened) it's gradually getting better and i know it was the right decision and am now loving my hip!

It will get better ... just takes some time!

Hope everything went well today
    x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    hello hileena
    i really hope you start feeling better soon, i'm sure you will!
    after i had my hip resurfaced i to regretted it, it is a case of getting through the next few weeks and i'm sure you to will feel much better, things always seem to get worse before they get better.
    hopefully with the clips out you will be a bit more comfy.
    sue
  • hileena111
    Hi All,
    Well the clips came out this morning....30 of them. I dont mind injecting myself. As for the stockings the nurse said they were very tight because my leg was swollen and she rang the hospital and asked for the bigger size but they said she had to measue my leg and phone the measurements in and then they would decide. The nurse said to take them off at night. I've got them off now....took them off about 7pm but will put them on tomorrow morning. I relaxed on the setee whe OH was at work and dozed and when I woke could hardly move because of stiffness.....thats the way I used to feel with arthur......i know I'm expecting too much too soon.
    Like someone said.....it feels very heavy....I mjust concentrate on getting my exercises done more. I think thats about it apart from to say that when she took the clips out put another dressing on and said she would be back on Monday....Its started to bleed slightly.....within the dressing not leaking out.
    Love
    #Hileena
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Helina,

Sorry Im a bit late in posting but have been unwell and just coming out of the flare up.

How did the op go? I only wore the sexy stocking when I was hospitalized for 5 months during pregnancy, I become part of the furniture and drove the nurses nuts. I wish they had made the stockings in different colours and they didn't go with my nighty.

Sending you hugssssssssssss

Love x

Eve
  • hileena111
    Hi Eve
    The op went OKish......They were doing a spinal block and he couldnt find the place to put the injection in my spine...eventually had to get someone else to do it......Doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it..........Then the next day I had 2 blood transfusions because I had lost quite a bit of blood during it. Apart from that I was out in the usual 3 days. I've been a good girl...just finished doing my exercises LOL
    The stockings....I dont care about the colour its the tightness of them....that leg is really swollen and it is far too tight but like I said before the nurse said take them off at night {today was the first I heard that} and he has rung the hospital and asked them to post out bigger ones but havent heard whether they will or not
    How are you feeling now....flare gone?
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    I had those dreadful stockings off yesterday evening and all night and what a difference it made......still not sleeping great but much better......when OH was putting them on today noticed a lot of bruising up the outside of the operated leg......so they are much too tight.
    Love
    Hileena