Please help Methotrexate and chicken pox

chocolatey
chocolatey Member Posts: 6
edited 26. Feb 2010, 12:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm the mother to a 18mth old boy and on 25mg methotexate a week, and i've just dropped him off to nursery to find out they have had a case of chicken pox.

I know its something we should be aware of, but what should i do? I had chicken pox twice as a child so does it make me ok, or should i still worry? What if my son gets it, does it mean i need to stay away from him?

Please help!

Comments

• snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi chocolatey i too take mtx a colleague of mine was off work with chickenspots i've had them twice, there is a medication you can take which my rhuemy docter wanted my gp to put me on but he did a blood test and it came back saying i was immune to it so didn't need meds.
    Ring your rhuemy nurse or docter for advice.
    julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Yes, ring the doctor, I'm sure the sooner you take the medication, the better. I had chicken pox about 10 years ago and I felt so bad, but you can also get shigles if you've had chicken pox, but again if you get any symptoms, these days you can take something the doctor will give you to stop it getting too bad.

I hope all goes well.
    Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Choccy

Yes get some advice if you can asap. You dont want them as an adult - they can be really nasty

Love

Toni xx
  • rb1234
    rb1234 Member Posts: 24
    I agree with what the others have said. Ring your doctor or a rhummy nurse.

I take Mtx and my nephew was due to stay with me. He developed chicken pox the day before he was supposed to stay. They advised to try and avoid it as there is a risk of shingles if you have had chicken pox before.

That's interesting that there is a drug that can be given. I did wonder what would have happened if he had stayed with me while he was in the incubation period and we didn't know.
  • jojo12
    jojo12 Member Posts: 30
    The drug you are thinking about is an anti-viral but needs to be taken immediately ?
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Choc,
    Yes, they are anti-viral tablets and must be taken immediately you come in contact. My husband got shingles, thought it was a wasp sting, but I knew what it was, so his feet didn't touch. We contained it to about 2" x 1". He had the piills and so did I - it was ME they were worried about, but it didn't affect me at all. Think they gave me 4 tab lets, can't remember but it was no longer than a week - no side effects either.

So don't worry, it can be coped with.
    Dolittle
  • chocolatey
    chocolatey Member Posts: 6
    dolittle wrote:
    Hi Choc,
    Yes, they are anti-viral tablets and must be taken immediately you come in contact. My husband got shingles, thought it was a wasp sting, but I knew what it was, so his feet didn't touch. We contained it to about 2" x 1". He had the piills and so did I - it was ME they were worried about, but it didn't affect me at all. Think they gave me 4 tab lets, can't remember but it was no longer than a week - no side effects either.

So don't worry, it can be coped with.
    Dolittle

well I got a call from the RA nurse and she said to look out for the symtoms and if I feel any to contact gp and get this anti-viral. She said not to worry thou as worse case is that I could end up with a worse case. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the replies! X