Blood test and RA

barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
edited 26. Feb 2010, 16:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was just woundering if blood test for RA are clear, or do you have to keep going back for more, if they are negetive,
Barbara .
Love
Barbara

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Barbara,

I don't think its that cut and dry really. I had raised rf levels but didn't have ra, a while later I was tested again and it was a no and then it turns out I have pa so its more to do with clinical diagnosis I think? I hope someone comes along who can help and uncloud the water I just left :wink: Are you having to have tests then? Luv Cris x
  • barbara12
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Barbara,

I don't think its that cut and dry really. I had raised rf levels but didn't have ra, a while later I was tested again and it was a no and then it turns out I have pa so its more to do with clinical diagnosis I think? I hope someone comes along who can help and uncloud the water I just left :wink: Are you having to have tests then? Luv Cris x
    Thankyou Chris..has you may know my gp is not very helpful, since I got the infected ancle, my wrist and fingers are sore, so I am waiting for the results of the blood test, to be honest I don't feel to bad most days touch wood(my head)
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Barbara

For years I was told I had OA. Two years ago my knee consultant wanted me to have a blood test for RA and it came back positive. I saw a rheumi and he aspirated liquid from my knee and said that I did not have RA - it was not the right colour :shock: So I am back to being diagnosed with OA which was what I had always been told

A blood test is not a cut and dried diagnosis that you have or don't have RA.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Barbara

For years I was told I had OA. Two years ago my knee consultant wanted me to have a blood test for RA and it came back positive. I saw a rheumi and he aspirated liquid from my knee and said that I did not have RA - it was not the right colour :shock: So I am back to being diagnosed with OA which was what I had always been told

A blood test is not a cut and dried diagnosis that you have or don't have RA.

Luv
    Elna x
    Thankyou Elna, they did draw off fluid but from my ankle and not the places I usually suffer with, how are you going on with your new knee, and how is lola doing.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Barbara,

they can pick up a bit from joint fluid weather its inflamed or not so there being tougher with you at least. Do you see a Rumo? Just I know what useless doctors are like and if you did they'd be the people to talk to. Sending you a ((( ))) and a hope they find out what’s going on with you soon. Cris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Barbara

Lola is lovely thank you and I see her again tomorrow :D My knee is coming along ok thanks too. The physio was pleased with me on Wednesday so I do not go back for 2 weeks. Went on the static bike and pedalled with NO resistance for 6 minutes, should have been 5 but we were chatting :lol: She said to do 5 mins daily at home. We do have a exercise bike, since my last op 2 years ago because I feel it helped greatly with recovery of the knee. Also given a couple of new exercises to do. Went to a funeral yesterday and the knee behaved but today it is decidedly grumpy - not sure why exactly, but we all have our really "off days" don't we? :roll: Perhaps I did too much sitting yesterday, who knows!

I hope you are alright and that your weekend goes well,

Lots of love
    Elna x()
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • cutieclaire
    cutieclaire Member Posts: 134
    I asked the OT, this question as I have negative Rhuematoid factor and I was concerned.
    Apparently there are 3 types you can have RA AND IA without the rummy factor as you will be less likely to damage the bones apparently.

I was rememinded today that I am and have been in extreem pain and whatever they try to hep that and give me the correct medication that is all that counts.

Hope this helps. Its a nightmare and irritating though, being new to it all I just want to know if it is RA or not so hopefully in 3 weeks I should have a clearer answer too.
    xxxxxxxx
  • barbara12
    I asked the OT, this question as I have negative Rhuematoid factor and I was concerned.
    Apparently there are 3 types you can have RA AND IA without the rummy factor as you will be less likely to damage the bones apparently.

I was rememinded today that I am and have been in extreem pain and whatever they try to hep that and give me the correct medication that is all that counts.

Hope this helps. Its a nightmare and irritating though, being new to it all I just want to know if it is RA or not so hopefully in 3 weeks I should have a clearer answer too.
    xxxxxxxx
    Thankyou, it helps alot talking tp people that are going through the same thing, please keep intouch and let me know how you go on.
    Take care
    Love Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara