Cold & damp weather

maria09
maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
edited 14. Mar 2010, 19:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Is any one else suffering badly today im sure its this damp weather ive pain everywhere! even having trouble climbing the stairs!
Times like these i wish i had a down stairs loo! :lol:

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Maria yes I have had a bit of trouble with the cold makes my knees stiff und painful not a flare type pain though, I also had a bit of trouble last year when the warm weather turned up for some reason. :?
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Maria,

Yep right there with you :wink: Very iffy bones and other things in this weather.... we have huge amounts of rain oer winter so its known as a damp place second only to Ireland I think. I don't know what the answer is but dressing against the cold, in my case whey over the top, and no getting wet isn't always the 'cure'. My bones have been worse this winter ad so have a few other conditions....... I was told years ago now to emigrate to a warm climate :lol: You know I was 17 and should have gone cus its too late now. You try and keep at a constant temperature and I really hope your bones become kinder to you. Cris x
  • maria09
    Do you think we could get a move to a warmer clinate on the NHS?
    If so where woud you all like to go?
    My dream as Italy
    Mx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Maria,

Oh at the time I was told it i had the offer of a job in Spain..... see I should have gone :roll: Now on the good old NHS I think I would like to move to a lodge in the Serengeti.......I would have to have reinforced fencing though to stop the local creatures eating the employers cus they would have to come as well Cris xx
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    yes i am the same the cold and damp dont help as paul daniels used to say "not a lot " if memory serves me right, :) i find the cold is the worse got 2 pairs of tousers on in order to keep the cold at bay
    i always seem to know when its going to rain as my knees are painfull
    like having toothache in your knees :cry:
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • only49
    somewhere where the sun always shines and always just the right temp how about australia it always seem sunny on the wiggles
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hi only 49
    As my learned colleague has already said, you do need to keep a constant warmth round you. microwave heat pads or wheatie bags can help if you have pain near the spine or joint. If your muscles are really sore, then sometimes a cold compress (bag of frozen peas helps.
    If you have a trapped nerve in your vertabrae, then you will get what is called referred pain. (e.g. pain in your thighs or back or calf muscles)
    TENs M/c are good get them on the interenet from Lloyds Chemist . I am having troubled with my hands, they are swollen, red and tingly. The pins and needles, tingly feeling could also be a trapped nerve. Physio could help here although I see a chiropractitioner.
    If you are really having lots of probs, then maybe you need to see your gp or rheumy consultant. I think that is where I shall be heading. When things get really bad then my rheumy will arange a steroid injection to help calm things down a bit and boost the methotrexate a bit. At the end of the day, any weather can upset me. All sorts of things can bring on a flare. My friends in Italy are also troubled with arthritis. It has been very cold and wet around the heel of Italy where they live.

Joy
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    It just shows how Aurthur affects us all differently, I don't find any difference in the cold or wet... it hurts all the time in varying degrees but the weather doesn't seem to affect it..
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi the damp doing nasty things to my joints they so stiff and aching so do not like this. hope summer here soon
    val
  • chahoua
    chahoua Member Posts: 29
    My joints always feel more stiff at this time of the year and in the summer (especially if it's humid). I seem to feel and do better in spring and autumn. It's a funny old condition this arthritis...lol. xxx
  • maria09
    only49 wrote:
    yes i am the same the cold and damp dont help as paul daniels used to say "not a lot " if memory serves me right, :) i find the cold is the worse got 2 pairs of tousers on in order to keep the cold at bay
    i always seem to know when its going to rain as my knees are painfull
    like having toothache in your knees :cry:
    Thats exactly right toothache in your knees!
  • only49
    hi maria09 you and me seem to feel the same, do you feel tired as well just now i could go for a nap :) but dont want to give in to it, too stubborn for my own good i think
  • maria09
    only49 wrote:
    hi maria09 you and me seem to feel the same, do you feel tired as well just now i could go for a nap :) but dont want to give in to it, too stubborn for my own good i think
    Yep im always tired thought its coz im getting older well im 46! lol
  • only49
    hi maria09

i'm 49 just remember your not alone, :) thats the who point of this forum we all got one thing in common we know what its like putting up with arthritis not easy :) but somehow we do if its any conselation ( cant spell lol ) men could not put up with what we

sylvia x ((( ))))
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    yes definately i have swelling in joints i didnt think i had arthritis, knuckles swollen terrible and skin so dry it is bleeding.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi,
    I'm originally from Northern Ireland where it is very damp but quite mild but didnt have arthur to contend with then. I'm in the North East now and it is not as wet but much cuch colder and it really affects my joints.
    49....Was it you said Australia? Might depend where. I lived in Melbourne for 2 years {once a gain pre arthur} and you could get all 4 seasons in one day and the winter there feels just as cold because you have lived through their scorching summer. If you holiday there in the winter you dress in summer clothes but if you live there it is heavy coats boots etc...The only difference is they dont get snow.....They go on holiday "to see the snow" would you believe LOL What about The Channel Islands.....never been but I imagine it to be warmer than here but not absolutely scorching??? Any other suggestions where we could go to {no rude ones please LOL}
    Love
    Hileena
  • maria09
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm originally from Northern Ireland where it is very damp but quite mild but didnt have arthur to contend with then. I'm in the North East now and it is not as wet but much cuch colder and it really affects my joints.
    49....Was it you said Australia? Might depend where. I lived in Melbourne for 2 years {once a gain pre arthur} and you could get all 4 seasons in one day and the winter there feels just as cold because you have lived through their scorching summer. If you holiday there in the winter you dress in summer clothes but if you live there it is heavy coats boots etc...The only difference is they dont get snow.....They go on holiday "to see the snow" would you believe LOL What about The Channel Islands.....never been but I imagine it to be warmer than here but not absolutely scorching??? Any other suggestions where we could go to {no rude ones please LOL}
    Love
    Hileena
    we r hoping to retire to italy when hubby finishes work but thats years away !
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    only49 wrote:
    hi maria09

i'm 49 just remember your not alone, :) thats the who point of this forum we all got one thing in common we know what its like putting up with arthritis not easy :) but somehow we do if its any conselation ( cant spell lol ) men could not put up with what we

sylvia x ((( ))))

LOL, but we try our best.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi maria09
    i can feel warm on the outside to others touch but feel cold to my own touch and my body feels very tence
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, yes I've been really suffering, I thought it was getting up-tight about my appointments and what not, but even my husband has been complaining of aches and pains today. Its been raining most of the day and been so dark and grey, we,ve had to have the lights on all day. Still its not long until we alter the clocks! :)

ROLL ON THE SUMMER, BUT NOT TOO HOT, PLEASE!!! :D

Love Sue xxx
  • maria09
    Hi Everyone
    Maybe the answer is ready brek coz when i was little i used to have it just to see the warm glow pity it never happened!
    Wuld keep us warm if it did though :)
    Mx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    My OA is definitely worse in damp and cold weather - particularly cold weather - I think it makes me tense up my muscles too. I bought thermals to wear when outdoors and I use wheat heat bags (and a rug) indoors - I sound 90 and I'm only 43...

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    speedalong wrote:
    My OA is definitely worse in damp and cold weather - particularly cold weather - I think it makes me tense up my muscles too. I bought thermals to wear when outdoors and I use wheat heat bags (and a rug) indoors - I sound 90 and I'm only 43...

Speedalong

I am just a wee bit older, I think I am 49, I always get in a muddle with dates :oops: From October to April May I am cold and have been known to freeze to the spot, ie be totally unable to move, happened once when I had a little walk round an open air market and the wind was Siberian, after a couple of minutes I could not speak nor move, so embarassed......I had to be taken into a cafe to thaw out. We don't do winter markets now.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).