DEAD LEG

harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
edited 15. Mar 2010, 17:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi all
i had my 2nd THR on 3rd Feb 2010, was in HDU for 36 hours after op because of a temperature. few hours after op i was feeling sick, probably from anesthetic, so the nurse gave me a jab in the thigh, hubby was by my side & he said that it was almost like a war film because she just slammed it into my thigh & plunged the medication in. thing is since then i have had a completely dead thigh starting from 8 inches above the knee & going round to the left of the knee & it is also very painful, i went to the drs yesterday & she has prescribed anesthetic patches, but no relief as of yet....i was just wondering if anyone else had this after an antisickness jab, the dr says she may have gone through a nerve & there could be some nerve damage, also if anyone has experienced this, how long did the symptoms last. thanks all, hope everyones feeling ok, i know i have only done the odd post here & there but i havent forgotton you.xxxx Sally. xxxx :D

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sally,

Sorry thats going on for you, I hope it does soon stop. can you talk to your surgeon on Monday? They poss are the best people to advise maybe? You take care and I hope it soon settles down for you. Cris x
  • harleyd14
    hi Cris, thanks for your reply. they did mention nerve tests because i mentioed it when i was still in hospital, but they also said to take it up with my own doctor...but i have my 6 week check up in just over 2 weeks, so if its still the same i will be mentioning it, coz it really hurrrrrts !!! xx :D
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    harleyd14 wrote:
    hi Cris, thanks for your reply. they did mention nerve tests because i mentioed it when i was still in hospital, but they also said to take it up with my own doctor...but i have my 6 week check up in just over 2 weeks, so if its still the same i will be mentioning it, coz it really hurrrrrts !!! xx :D[/quote

Hi Sally,

What a rotten time you are having! I was concerned for you when I read your post....did the doc give you a proper examination? is he sure that it's the jab that has caused this numbness and pain?

Perhaps you might consider going to A&E if it continues to be so painful and let then do further tests to be sure of the cause...after all it's not that long since you had your op and you need to be sure that it's not got anything to do with that.

At the very least you can get something more effective for the pain.

let us know how you are. hugs (((())))). Irisx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Sally
    That awful.......I know you have only 2 weeks to go until your 6 week check up but that can feel a very a long time if something is wrong and you are in pain {or numb as the case may be} I would get in touch with the consultants secretary and see if she can help .Thats who i go to with thing about my THR. Our doctors {in the hospital} cover a very large area with quite a few hospitals in it so I was told any queries ring the Nurse Practioner...you might not get her immediately but she'll get back to you...The other thing....what about your district nurse? You must have had one at the beginning to change dressing and take staples out etc and nag your GP again.......Hope things sort themselves out and keep us updated
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Sally

If I were you I would most definitely not wait until my 6 week check. I would either go back to my gp tomorrow or get in touch with the surgeon who did the operation. You need some of your questions answered and reassurance now not later.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello Sally,
    I'm really sorry that you are suffering. That nurse sounds awful, she sounds as if she was taking out a bad mood on you, which is unprefessonal and cruel! :( Having injections is not something any of us would choose to do, some compassion and kindness important to you. Hope all gets better soon.
    Love Sue
  • harleyd14
    thank you so much to you all for your replys :D . this is really the place for moral support.
    well, i have tried the drs surgery...been trying since 8am and its engaged all the time, we have the thing where you ring up on the day you want an appointment you cant book today for tomorrow, thats if you can get through !!
    and then i tried the hospital where i had it done and they dont take appointments for non surgicals and i was told that i am to wait until my 6 week check but if its too painful to go to A&E and i would get referred to them anyway, when i asked if i couldnt just cut out the middle man and come straight to them i was told "NO" thats not the procedure :x .
    And my OH said pretty much the same as you Sue, that she was in a bad mood,he was right there and watched it and said he now wishes he had said something to her.
    i will let you know if i get any joy with trying the drs surgery.
    thanks again everyone. xxxx love Sally xxxx :D
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Oh Sally!
    this is just awful.....rather than phoning for an appointment why not phone the rheumy consultant or the surgeon's secretary as others have suggested and ask to speak to the con or a registrar about the pain you are having? does the hosp you attend have a day ward for arther peeps? we have....so please check it out as that would be another avenue to try to get to speak to someome.

I am so annoyed and frustrated for you Sally.....you should not be getting the run around like this. let us know of any progress please. Iris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi, how awful. The nurse sounds horrid. Hope next time she needs a jab she get the same treatment!!!
    Was the antisickness jab in your unoperated on leg?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.