pilates

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 2. Mar 2010, 04:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
My Rheummy nurse said pilates was a good form of excersise. I have R.A. and am very unfit from years of inactivity.
Does anybody do pilates? What does it involve?.I have found a place that has 2 classes. should I attend a younger yummy mummy class or the over 60 class (whos company I would much rather prefer) which might be less challenging.I have had one hip replacement.
I am the grand old age of 46.

Best wishes
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have consider this in the past, but as Delboy says you need a good teacher who understand about OA etc.

I had to give up yoga about 10 years ago now. Can't believe that 10 years ago I did a sponsored yoga ' 100 salutes tothe sun'. Had to do a lot of working up to that.

All you can do is find a class, go along and weight it up for yourself.
    If she is a good teacher, she will know what is best for yourself.
    The Chiropractor I see at the moment has given me some minimal exercises that I do at the moment. Yes go along, see what certificate she has. Also, read up on it a little and also, there are web sites that will give you an insight into how much you are expected to achieve for your limitations. Sometimes the just going along to a class and doing things bit by bit will give you the lift you want and you are meeting new people.

Joy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elizabeth,

I am not totally sure what these are really but I do whole heartedly agree anything that makes better muscle tone helps. I know from my back the better the muscles the less it hurt and I am now fighting back cus for some reason (my be age) my muscles are not as good. I think its a case of go careful and hopefully they might help? Luv Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I was thinking about asking if the physio thought palates would be any good, but I've got so many hospital things going on at the moment, that I'll leave it for now.

My practice has some sort of arrangement with the local Gym, they have medical trainers go in and help disabled and unfit people for a short course to get them going and strengthen muscles. It worked for me the first time I had problems, but, they had a long waiting list.

I worked with a woman who used to go to the over 60s keep fit, as she found the ordinary one too much, she was in her early 50s! I think quite a few people do that, as its better to start gently and work up. Otherwise, it could put you off going! :shock: :oops:
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    I'd love to give Pilates a go. Could get down on the floor okay, but I'm not sure about getting back up again as right wrist is still really weak.

I definitely need to do some kind of exercise as I need to benefit from it not just physically but mentally too.

Think I'll mention it to the doc next time.

If you do give it a try, let us know how it goes.

Lois x
  • chahoua
    chahoua Member Posts: 29
    I do some pilates at my weekly physio appointment. I need to build up my core stability and so far have definitely seen (and more importantly felt) an improvement. I would think about joining a class once my physio sessions are over. Make sure the instructor understands your limitations and doesn't try to push you too far. I suppose at the end of the day it's like most activities you try and do with arthritis, you know yourself what you can manage. I'm 33 and I would join the older group if I'm honest. xxx
  • joyful164
    wibberley wrote:
    I'd love to give Pilates a go. Could get down on the floor okay, but I'm not sure about getting back up again as right wrist is still really weak.

I definitely need to do some kind of exercise as I need to benefit from it not just physically but mentally too.

Think I'll mention it to the doc next time.

If you do give it a try, let us know how it goes.

Lois x

There is no way I could get down on the floor or get myself back up without a hoist installed.
    Joy
  • joyful164
    There is another less strenuous exercise regime and I think it is called the Alexandra technique. I haven't investigated it at this point in time. I know it has a lot to do with the way you sit, stand and breathing correctly. If you stand correctly, hold you stomach in and just breath gently (I'm not sure if you should use your mouth or your nose) but you will find this will stop your back hurting. It's what I do if I am standing cooking or any job where Ihave to stand.
    Joy
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Elizabeth
    i done 1 class of palates cos the swapped it instead of yoga and it was ok, like yoga i couldn't do all the moves (cant put weight on wrists) so some of it i had to sit out.
    like others have said it is all about the teacher, my yoga teacher was lovely and i never sat out of anything with her cos she gave me alternatives but she left and i haven't found another good teacher so dont go anymore :(
    where you thinking of going do you want someone to go with? :D
  • page35
    i think i would perfer to go with the over 60s too.
  • tkachev
    many thanx for your replies.That has given me food for thought.

I am due to see my R.Nurse on 4th March so will ask her again about pilates. I cannot get down on the floor and my knees would not be any use for weight bearing.I am sure my nurse knows this.
    I definately need some form of excersise though.But it is difficult to know what is beneficial and what causes problems.
    Thanks Delboy for reminding me about these subsidised schemes.I did read about some disabled fitness equiptment in a local gym but I dont know what the terms and conditions are yet.
    Page you are always welcome to come with me.Couple of crocks together hey!(joke).It is held in the windmill centre,crossroads about 5 mins from my house on Tuesday 2-4.Not very convenient times though.Anyway I have sent you a PM about a few things!

Take care all,will let you know outcome(for Lois).
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    That has reminded me about it...I had thought of it but now am into my 2nd week post op THR so no way at the minute but might see what I'm like after the 6 weeks........As for the over 60's it would be much better but I have no choice LOL LOL I am getting on {almost 64}
    Love
    Hileena
  • ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    i used to love pilates, unfortunatly now it is nigh on impossible for me to get either down or up from the floor, but as others have said by increasing you're core strength its certainly used to help,

i also used to do tai chi, which i found wonderful it improved my posture eased the pain in my back and knees, unfortunalty the classes were upstairs and i really struggled with that, also with shift work it meant i didnt keep up with the rest of the class

good luck though with what you do find
  • tkachev
    Thankyou,
    Tai chi has been suggested and seems to do a lot of good for arthritis suffers so I might look into that.I am not too bad with stairs nowadays although have suffered in the past so I know where a lot of you are coming from.

Fancy Tai Chi Page?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • page35
    YEAH sounds good to me :D
    i brought some tracky bottoms other day so am readly to go now, just need to find a class, babysitter and some energy :lol:
  • tkachev
    I live in tracky bottoms.....nothing else fits.

I will PM you later in the week.Got a lot on this weekend!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein