any tips Ankle replacement

plmb48
plmb48 Member Posts: 125
edited 4. Mar 2010, 14:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am to have Ankle replacement onright foot and in the DRs own words he will fire some screws into the left ankle to fuze it but good news is i will be up and about next day they are doing both feet at the same time
would like any tips on how long to get over the op old hand at replacements but know nothing about ankles any addvice will be very welcome thanks all pauline xxx

Comments

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am really interested in your post Pauline.

I too have OA in my right ankle, and have had a consultation regarding surgery. Your comment that you will be up and about the next day really puzzled me. I refused to consider the surgery, as I was told it would be a long job, and I would be unable to weight bear for months. Now I`m really confused, and hope that we will get some replies from anyone who has had this done......Hope it all goes well for you, and please keep me informed.......Ange.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Yes I'm pleased this was mentioned......had THR and due another one.....I have been diagnosed with OA in my left ankle and wondered about that....very vaguely......I'm not at the stage of needing that......but I already have screws, pins and a plate in it to hold it together {after the accident} looking forward to replies
    Love
    Hileena
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Pauline,
    I was very interested in your post too. Been told I need to have my right ankle fused. Been putting it off as they told me it would be 4 months in a wheelchair! Can't get the darned thing in the bedroom, OH needs some moral support and I need to keep an eye on my mum. So it's going to have to wait.

Was interested that they told you you'd be up the next day. Alan is an expert at all this ... hope he will see it and come along soon. The surgical appliance guy told me to consider surgery as the last resort. Really don't know what to think. I'll watch this space with interest.
    Dolittle
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    i would like to thank you all for replys DOHi think i must have missunderstood my DR he must have ment up out of bed hey i will have a pot on .having both feet done at same time is going to be difficult but the other foot is just a fuzzing as he said they are just fireing screws into that one all fun and games lol lol thanks again will wash out my ears next time i see DR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pauline
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Pauline,
    Thanks for raising this topic. When you've been to the docs, wiill you 'bump this up' and give an update on things. I'd be interested to know what they say. Firing bolts/screws/pins into my foot and leg ... I should coco!

Thanks for dropping in on this Alan. I'm sorry to hear you've had a mishap with your ankle and the ice. Hope it'll right itself soon.
    Rgds
    Do