Hello

Options
chapp1
chapp1 Member Posts: 5
edited 3. Mar 2010, 17:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me som advice as I'm a little confused.

for the past year I've been suffering with sore, swollen joints (off and on) primarily by knee's and ankles but more recently my fingers, thumbs and elbows. I've just had an x-ray on my knee and bloods done and been told today that they were NAD (No action needed). I now don't know what to do, I'm not the professional and don't know what to say to the doctor when I go in tomorrow.........I'm not positive it is arthritis as I'm not a doctor but hope you don't mind me asking what you would do?

thanks
C

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Chapp

Welcome to the forum. You would get more replies if you posted on the Living with Arthritis forum because many more of us look on that zone. This is more of an introductory zone.

I would wait until you see what your gp says to you tomorrow. When you were told NAD did that mean that the bloods came back negative or that there was nothing to show on the xrays or both.

Whatever your gp says to you, you know that there is something not right because off and on you are suffering discomfort and now more joints are joining in. Do you need any painkillers and anti inflammatories to ease the pain etc. If so ask for some, if none are offered. This is most definitely not in your head - ie you are not imagining it and please do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

I wish you well with your appointment tomorrow and hope that you will post on the Living with arthritis zone and let us know the outcome of your appointment and ask any questions of us should you wish. We are all here to help and support each other.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Chapp,

A warm WELCOME to this site.

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having and do hope that you get answers. I know they go by blood tests but the tests can also change so one minute they are ok and the next they are not - mine do that.

I was diagnosed with RA 2009 and had been having problems with my knees back in the 90's. Those were the only joints that were painful. It's progressed to all joints but at the time mine kept aching and swelling on and off. I tried all sorts of creams none of which helped and unfortunately Deep Heat cream made it ten times worse so I wouldn't recommend that one as my knee swelled like a balloon.

I know it's not the best policy but if I had to do it again I would pester them even more and go to A&E every time I had problem. My diagnoses with Lupus and RA have come about because I have ended up in A&E and been given letters requesting referrals.

I sincerely hope things become clearer for you soon.

Please keep us updated and I look forward to reading your posts in other forums xxx

Eve