OT Appointment. Happy.

minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
edited 4. Mar 2010, 13:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, As a few of you know i went for my appointment with the OT at the hospital today. Im now to attend each week, Im not sure exactly how long for.
Ive come away with new splints & next week she is making me up a moulded splint for my right hand/thumb. The new splint is softer than the last ones & the new moulded one is even softer.She hadnt got my size today or they would have made them up there & then.
She is ordering me a perching stool & kitchen aids,a Bed turning thinggy & anything that they cant supply she is giving me a catalogue for to order them myself.
She is arranging social services to help with bathing equipement & the downstairs toilet.
Then were looking at lever taps & other bits. To much to remember in one appointment as we covered so many things.
Sorry its all been a lot to take in & im so happy that ive been treated as a human being for a change.
The OT was thorough & so helpful, she checked to make sure that im receiving the right benefits & have a blue badge.
She also did a hand pressure test to see what my grip was like & its poor on both hands,right being worse than left.
Im also having an appointment for learning to pace myself & strengthening exercises for my hands/wrists..
In all a good day.
So if anyone is wondering if its worth seeing an OT then my answer is yes diffinately.
I explained that i wanted to stay as independant as possible & Get as much help as possible to acheive this & manage my conditions..
I hope anyone thats going for there appointment finds them as helpful as i did. :D debs

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Debs,

Glad it went well :D They do things to help you turn over...... tell me more cus I like a beached whale and have to use my feet, arms and hands..... ((( ))) xx
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Deb,

So pleased for you and that you are now getting help from the OT. Will she be visiting your home for any adaptations?

My OT is brilliant and I too would urge anyone to see one.

Eve x
  • minky67
    Hi Cris,
    yer they do but i dont know what the turny over thing is like yet. I'll let you know ok. I should be getting a catalogue so i can give you some addresses etc as i get them.

Eve,
    she hasnt mentioned a home visit as yet.
    Just went through all the problems & things i struggle to do at home etc. Might find out more next week.
    There will be a visit at some time from someone as they have to see if the downstairs toilet is possible. will keep you posted. little things make the world of difference to us.

debs
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    So glad you've had a positive appointment, Debs. It makes you feel so much better when you are suddenly being helped rather than fobbed off.

Most cheering news I've seen all day!

Annie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, That sounds like a really good visit. Once you've got the equipment and are used to it, I'm sure It'll make a big difference for you! :) I've just had a new kitchen and I chose lever taps and they are so good, I can move them with one finger!

When their are things to help you, its only sensible to make the best of them. I hope things go well for you.
    Love Sue
  • minky67
    Hi Annie,
    yes its nice to finally be took notice of.
    Ive had to fight for my benefits & medication for a decent existance.
    These adaptions will make all the difference to me.

Hi Sue,
    i have the lever taps in the kitchen, the housing assocation put them in with the new kitchen.
    were due to get the bathroom done this year sometime but i have asked for lever taps to be fitted there anyway. Then i can keep them if they dont put them in as standard. They are so much easier on the hands, i can just push mine with any part of my hand or fingers.
    debs
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    so glad that you too are getting help from an OT.

I was amazed at how much help I could get, and I am so glad that you are getting such support too.

isnt' it sad that we have to fight for what will help us? something is wrong there somehow, but it shows others that it is a good idea to keep asking to see an OT.
  • minky67
    Hi Wonky, its so wrong isnt it. I got to the stage were i had no fight left.
    I just want to get this done & forget about any more fighting.

The new splints are so much more comfy than the last ones & a better fit but the next ones she's doing me next week are so much softer & have a moulded plastic bit in, im so looking forward to them.
    How are you getting on?
    debs
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Glad your gettin help Debs, i liked my OT too, very kind lady :D
  • minky67
    Thanks page, she's only a young girl but she's lovely & that makes the world of difference, knowing you can talk about your problems with out feeling stupid & get listened too.
    debs
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Debs

So glad you felt it was a really positive visit and a lovely post for others heading that way to see.
    Sounds like she really is doing her best for you which is so good to hear and as you say it's nice to be understood and helped to be as independant as you can.
    take care of yourself and hope the next visit is just as supportive for you.
    love
    Chris
  • minky67
    Thanks chris,
    I posted in the hope that it will help someone going in the same direction.
    Wil update after next appointment.
    Its nice to have a positive story here for a change ah!!
    Hope it helps.
    debs
  • minky67
    Thanks Lynn, Yes i feel more positive & even cris(skiezer) has asked about the bed turning over thinggy. So maybe i can help someone.

Sometimes i feel as if i havent got alot to give to this site, so if i just point someone else in the right direction or help someone with advice about aids I'd be happy.

Im sure all the things she's trying to put in place will make my life easier.
    I hate to ask for help & am determined to stay mobile & independent for as long as i possibly can.
    debs
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Debs

now it's quiet, before I sleep, I saw you had your appointment today. I'm so glad that it went well for you. It does help to make you feel better.

The splints are good Debs. I saw them being made and told Wonky what they would do, and she said they did.

I sweat a lot and it was making my hand and thumb sore and it was cracking open.

Of course she went away and got this furry looking material, they called it something but I cannot remember. They glued in onto my cast splint, now it keeps it cool and I do not sweat.

When you get the book Debs, could you let me know what it is as there are a few things I want to buy, such as a bedside table. I need it to go under the bed.

If you let me know I can order the book.

Hope you get all that you need and everything works out for you.

Trish xx
  • minky67
    Hi & thanks for all your replies.

Trisher,
    I will certainly let you know of the catalogue when i get it.
    Hope your feeling a bit better.

Hope everyones having a good weekend.
    luv debs
  • dollydaydream
    dollydaydream Member Posts: 21
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi & thanks for all your replies.

Trisher,
    I will certainly let you know of the catalogue when i get it.
    Hope your feeling a bit better.

Hope everyones having a good weekend.
    luv debs

Hi all --I havent been on site for a while but I pop in & look on & off. Have had no heating these past few weeks so have been soooo grumpy! ( new boiler came yesterday, & now the sun is out too)
    Read all the OT posts debs, glad you had a good session. I've got my appt next week and had not heard of the bed turny thing before so I shall be asking about that, it's a sight to behold me turning over- grabbing & pushing against the bedside table, not to mention the grunting noises, :oops: so unladylike :?

It's great to share these things as sometimes we don't know what to ask for cuz we dont know whats available.

luv to all
    dolly :shock:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    I'm so glad you've got some things to make life easier; its amazing the difference that simple tools can make. I've got a thing that opens ring pull cans and its great, I've never been any good at that, even when younger, I used to make a mess! :oops:

As for having nothing to give, thats NOT TRUE. When I come on and just have a moaning rant or feel depressed, its nice to have someone just to say hello, or if you'r new to the site and someone answers you with a friendly hello, it makes all the difference. Thats all thats needed often, or to know you'r not the only person to feel the way you do, or have the worrying pain you've got. Thats all thats needed. A FRIEND WHO UNDERSTANDS, and thats you. Lecture over, sorry don't mean to sound bossy! :oops:

Take care, lots of love, Sue xxx
  • minky67
    Hi Dolly, Im glad i posted now.
    Im back tomorrow at the OT, so i'll keep posting as to the help i get or options im given in the hope that some one benefits from it.
    As soon as i see the bed turny over thiggy then i'll let you know what its like. somebody else asked about it too.

Sue, Thanks love, no your not bossy, your always one of the first i see welcoming newcomers to the site.
    It feels nice to help in any way i can & if that means posting about the OT or anything else in the hope it helps someone i will continue. :D
    Thanks again for the replies.
    luv debs
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Deb
    It's good that you've come away feeling so happy after meeting with the OT. Mine was good too. I can shower safely and the perching stool is a real bonus. I sit on mine to do all my food prep and cooking and to do my ironing. I haven't been able to iron since my TKR. OH has been doing it all - not very well but he's trying! :lol::lol:

Sharmaine
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi, As a few of you know i went for my appointment with the OT at the hospital today. Im now to attend each week, Im not sure exactly how long for.
    Ive come away with new splints & next week she is making me up a moulded splint for my right hand/thumb. The new splint is softer than the last ones & the new moulded one is even softer.She hadnt got my size today or they would have made them up there & then.
    She is ordering me a perching stool & kitchen aids,a Bed turning thinggy & anything that they cant supply she is giving me a catalogue for to order them myself.
    She is arranging social services to help with bathing equipement & the downstairs toilet.
    Then were looking at lever taps & other bits. To much to remember in one appointment as we covered so many things.
    Sorry its all been a lot to take in & im so happy that ive been treated as a human being for a change.
    The OT was thorough & so helpful, she checked to make sure that im receiving the right benefits & have a blue badge.
    She also did a hand pressure test to see what my grip was like & its poor on both hands,right being worse than left.
    Im also having an appointment for learning to pace myself & strengthening exercises for my hands/wrists..
    In all a good day.
    So if anyone is wondering if its worth seeing an OT then my answer is yes diffinately.
    I explained that i wanted to stay as independant as possible & Get as much help as possible to acheive this & manage my conditions..
    I hope anyone thats going for there appointment finds them as helpful as i did. :D debs
  • minky67
    Hi Sharmaine, The OT said that everyone thats got a perching stool loves them :D Thats one thing i am looking forward to getting as i struggle in the kitchen, standing to do the vegggies is so painful.

Does your OH fancy coming & doing my ironing as the mountain is slowly growing :wink: I dont mind a few creases :lol:
    Take care of the new knee.
    luv debs
  • skezier
    Hi Debs,

leaving you a good luck ((( ))) and please let me know about the turnie over thing and anything that makes Peeling veg, getting out of the bath, and turning over as well as getting out of bed please tell me :D ((( ))) cus I missed you and hope your asleep, Luv Cris xx
  • minky67
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Debs,

leaving you a good luck ((( ))) and please let me know about the turnie over thing and anything that makes Peeling veg, getting out of the bath, and turning over as well as getting out of bed please tell me :D ((( ))) cus I missed you and hope your asleep, Luv Cris xx
    Hi Cris, The turny over thing is a bar that fits under the mattress& the handle sits by the pillow on the bed & helps By you pulling on it to turn over & can help with you pushing up on it to get out of bed.This is being supplied by the OT.
    There are also boards with spikes in to hold food whilst you cut it & a multi peeler that is battery operated & reduces the need to apply pressure. these last 2 have to be brought & are expensive. £15 for the peeler & £69.85 for the board there are some smaller ones for £9.
    This catalogue ive been given is a chemists catalogue( Dean & smedley) So i would think the larger chemists have these catalogues. also told me to check E-Bay as stuff gets sold on there at a fraction of the costs & also to google the stuff. Theres a centre in Burton on trent not far from me that she told me to go have a look & try out some of the things before i buy them.Its also been suggested to social services that i get the Bathlift, it raises,lowers you & reclines into the bath. OT told them that i cant lose the bath as with my Fibromyalgia i need to soak my muscles for relief.The sooner the better with the bathlift as last nights attempt to get out of the bath wasnt funny.Damn right dangerous & took me ages to get out :roll:
    I have to go next week for strengthening exercises for my hands then i think thats it apart from a checkup & i can ring for replacement splints as & when i need them.
    luv debs
  • skezier
    Hi Debs,

Glad it was helpful to you :D I think maybe one of these days I might ask to see an OT........ Hey don't talk to me about baths.... I couldn't get out the other day........ I laid down and that was me stuck as I couldn't get up :oops: Had to hold my breathe and turn over (never easy) and come up on my knees....... Showers just ain't the same :lol::lol::lol::lol: Life..... Well I hate arthritis for so many reasons...... Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • minky67
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Debs,

Glad it was helpful to you :D I think maybe one of these days I might ask to see an OT........ Hey don't talk to me about baths.... I couldn't get out the other day........ I laid down and that was me stuck as I couldn't get up :oops: Had to hold my breathe and turn over (never easy) and come up on my knees....... Showers just ain't the same :lol::lol::lol::lol: Life..... Well I hate arthritis for so many reasons...... Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
    Oh Cris, I know that one only to well. i was ready to chuck the shampoo bottle on the floor to get him to help me out :shock:
    I have a rail on each side(built in to the bath) & one on the wall to help pull me back up. But ive got no strength in my hands or shoulders & the knees are swollen & cant push me up. The OT saw me at about my worse today.
    Im waiting for the stool,bed rail & then social services for the rest of the equipment. I hate showers too just dont have the same affect on my muscles as a bath.I love me radox baths.
    One day bathing might be a pleasure, not a battle.
    luv debs
  • chile168
    chile168 Member Posts: 384
    Hi Minky,

Shame you don't like shower, I had my bathroom adapted to a wet room and it's the most comfortable bathing I have had in a long time. I on the other hand don't like baths lol. I get hot and bothered and it feels claustrophobic for me.

So glad you are getting all the equipment hun. I have loads of trouble in the kitchen too and keep buying more and more gadgets so going to need bigger units to hide them all. Im so claustrophobic so can't have too many things around me.

One gadget which I haven't bought but thinking about it is the electric potato peeler. It's supposed to peel 1kg of potatoes within minutes. Reviews I read, some like it some don't but good reviews from those with arthritic conditions.

I would love one that peels all sort of veggies so I wouldn't have to buy so many gadgets.

Must say that as Im reading between the lines, you sound chirpier and positive which is fantastic.

And yes, is the little things that make such a difference :)

Eve
    P.S. sorry I hadn't replied sooner but have had a lot on my mind.