Psoriatic Arthritis

snoopy09
snoopy09 Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Jun 2010, 08:52 in Say Hello Archive
I have recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, i do not have psoriosis just the pitting in my toe nails. I have really bad swollen ankles and insteps and i have difficulty in walking. I have been prescribed Salazopyrin taking 6 a day but unfortunately they do not seem to be helping.

Comments

• rosie123
    rosie123 Member Posts: 8
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    snoopy09 wrote:
    I have recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis, i do not have psoriosis just the pitting in my toe nails. I have really bad swollen ankles and insteps and i have difficulty in walking. I have been prescribed Salazopyrin taking 6 a day but unfortunately they do not seem to be helping.

Diagnosed last March with mild PA plus something in the spine. I'm sorry haven't had the med you are taking, can only suggest you go back to GP or phone consultants office to discuss progress, or lack of progress - good luck.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Snoopy and Rosie,

I got pa as well, actually alot of us here have and its not nice is it? Sending you both a ((( ))) and a welcome to the forum. This lot are really nice, very supportive and they are a good lot :D

Snoopy I have been on those since June I think. They didn't work so my rumo doubled the dose. I still am in a flare and I don't think its ever stopped and I have some of the side effects so might be changing. Its worth ringing your rumo and seeing if the dose can be raised. They can take 3 months to start to work and mine did for about 3 weeks........ Didn't last long :wink:

Rosie what do you take if you don't mind me asking?

I hope you both come over to the other forums and post where ever you would like and well nice to meet you both. Cris x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi Snoopy and Rosie

A big warm Welcome from me.

I have PsA, RA and OA. I was put on Sulfasalazine and was told it can take 3 months to work.

I had to come off it as I began to have very bad headaches. I'm at present on Ciclosporin. They told me that that can take 4 months before it works. When I go to see Rheumy they give me a Medrone injection which is a steroid.

The people here are very nice people and can give you a lot of advice and tips.

There is also the CChat Forum where you will find lots of topics talked about. We also have a cafe where you can eat anything you like. Drop in for a chat, you would be most welcome.

Hope to see you posting soon

Trish xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Snoopy and Rosie

A big welcome to you both. Hope to see your names around the forum very soon. It has been a little quiet here of late, perhaps that is a good thing :) do join us all on the other zones.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi snoopy, Hi Rosie,

nice to meet you both!

I've had PA for about 15yrs and don't have the psoriasis either....but I do have the nail changes that you describe.

As Cris said PA's not very nice is it? I hope you get on to meds that will help you feel better and get arther under control soon. There are lots of different meds that the rheumy's can prescribe ....seems to be trial and error a lot of the time until they find something that works for you..
    we all respond differently too so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the next person.

The forum is a great place to read up and share info and experiences. They are a great bunch of peeps here..the helpline is also really good. If you're looking for more info on Psoriatic Arthritis look in the publications section on the 'home page' on this website. It's easy to use and you can use the search button to take you to the info leaflet.

hope to see you around the forum. Irisx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Snoopy, Hi Rosie
    A very warm welcome to this site, people on here are so supportive, sorry I can't help with your questions, I am sure someone will very soon.
    You take care
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Snoopy and Rosie too :D

Welcome to the forums from me too :)

You will find yourselves settled in before you know it. If you dont get much help on here stick a thread on the LWA forum - you might get some answers there

Love

Toni xx
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Hi,

I have Gouty, OA, and just in the process of being tested for PA, currently not on any medication! been under rheumatoid doctor since september 2009. At the moment having to put up with a lot of pain! :cry:
  • loopylou
    loopylou Member Posts: 175
    hi i'm new to this site today!
    I'm 26 and have PA, i've suffered for many years with joints just randomly swelling up ad becoming painful, went to doc but after various tests nothing showed so they didn't do anything.
    my pain got really bad last june by then i'd moved house so went to new docs, again various tests showed nothing, this time however i was referred to a rheumatologist. went in oct and was told i have PA. i take sulphasalazine at the moment and have just had the dose increased to 6 a day. hoping that it will work and the swelling will go down.
    I am one of the unfortunate ones that suffers psoriasis too. i have it on my scalp and my nails.
    my PA does get me down sometimes especially on bad days when i can hardly move and feel like an 80 yr old.
    it nice to know that there are many more young people out there that know how i feel as i sometimes think that my workmates who are in there 30's and 40's don't understand how i feel.
    Just keep plodding along singing a song
  • barbara12
    Hello and welcome
    The people on here are so friendly and supporting, any questions you have post in Living with A, and someone will come along with some answers, also there is chit chat were we all relax and have a laugh.
    To set up your own hello, click new topic at the bottom of the page, give it an heading and write whatever...people will see you more then and come along to welcome you.
    Hope this helps
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • loopylou
    thank you Barbara, I will do that now. Its good to know there are many more people out there who feel the same as me, I don't know anyone else with arthritis so I often feel I'm on my own. I'm also paranoid that people just think I'm being a hypocondriac.
  • barbara12
    loopylou wrote:
    thank you Barbara, I will do that now. Its good to know there are many more people out there who feel the same as me, I don't know anyone else with arthritis so I often feel I'm on my own. I'm also paranoid that people just think I'm being a hypocondriac.
    Hi lou you are not on your own anymore...alot of us on here felt that before we came on...it is hard for others to understand I suppose...if you need to know anything just ask...or you can PM me anytime
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Hi Loop :D

Good to meet you

I call lucy, my youngest child Loopyloo or loop for short :) (she is 12)

Sorry I took so long to welcome you - am very glad to meet you :) Also sorry about the PA

You take care and I look forward to seeing you posting

Love

toni xx
  • loopylou
    hi toni
    lol loopy lou seems a popular nickname for anyone called lucy or louise!
    thank you for the welcome.
    i'm feeling a lot better at the moment had my sulpha upped to 6 a day and it seems to be working well, just hope it continues.
    lou
  • frogmorton
    I will cross my fingers for you Loop :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi loopy, I'm dreamdaisy and I too have PA. I don't get the P bit very often, just the A. That's enough tho. Hope to see you around on the forums. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kevlar
    kevlar Member Posts: 41
    Hi all,
    I see there are several newbies suffering from PsA so thought I might mention a great site full of information about the condition.

http://www.papaa.org/tiki-custom_home.php