hello

janis1966
janis1966 Member Posts: 6
edited 18. Mar 2010, 19:15 in Say Hello Archive
hi
i am a new member,and thought i would say hello to everyone.i am 43 and married,but have no children.
i have been trying for ages to get a diagnosis,and have eventually been referred to a consultant,my GP took bloodtests and they came back normal,and wouldnt do anything else,i was told the pain iwas in was due too depression,only after getting a second opinion,did i get a referral.
arthritis seems to run in my family with both my parents and one grandmother who suffers.does it run in familys? and do blood tests come back negative on a regular basis iwonder?
this is the first thing i have ever posted on a forum,and hope to hear from people in due course.
thank you for reading this

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Janis
    A very warm welcome to this site, the people on here are really supportive, and a friendly lot.I have OA, but at the minuire I am having blood test to see If I have RA, what I have learned off this site that these blood test are not always conclusive, so it is a waiting game
    I had to keep going back to my GP to get something done,
    I do hope you get some answers very soon , and the proper treatment.
    You take care
    love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Janis

A big welcome to the forum. :D This is the first forum that I joined 3 years ago!! Since then I have been on a couple of others but not stayed that long or only call in once in a while.

It is so annoying and frustrating to be told by the medics that this is all in our heads because it most certainly is not. You are by no means the first person to be have told this. Peeps often post similar on this forum. We know when we are in pain. Bloodtests do not always come back conclusive. My blood test came back positive when a consultant wanted me to be tested for RA but on seeing a rheumi he told me I had osteo arthritis which is what I had been told for years. There are many different types of arthritis and sometimes it takes quite a time to get diagnosed correctly as others will tell you on this forum.

Have you had any xrays taken? Sometimes arthritis would appear to run in families but this is not always the case by any means. Arthritis can often set in after a trauma to a joint(s).It can be a one off too.

I do hope you will stay, it is a great forum with loads of lovely people here all supporting and helping each other as much as we are able to do do.

Look forward to seeing your name around the forum,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    elnafinn wrote:
    Dear Janis

A big welcome to the forum. :D This is the first forum that I joined 3 years ago!! Since then I have been on a couple of others but not stayed that long or only call in once in a while.

It is so annoying and frustrating to be told by the medics that this is all in our heads because it most certainly is not. You are by no means the first person to be have told this. Peeps often post similar on this forum. We know when we are in pain. Bloodtests do not always come back conclusive. My blood test came back positive when a consultant wanted me to be tested for RA but on seeing a rheumi he told me I had osteo arthritis which is what I had been told for years. There are many different types of arthritis and sometimes it takes quite a time to get diagnosed correctly as others will tell you on this forum.

Have you had any xrays taken? Sometimes arthritis would appear to run in families but this is not always the case by any means. Arthritis can often set in after a trauma to a joint(s).It can be a one off too.

I do hope you will stay, it is a great forum with loads of lovely people here all supporting and helping each other as much as we are able to do do.

Look forward to seeing your name around the forum,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    janis1966 wrote:
    hi
    i am a new member,and thought i would say hello to everyone.i am 43 and married,but have no children.
    i have been trying for ages to get a diagnosis,and have eventually been referred to a consultant,my GP took bloodtests and they came back normal,and wouldnt do anything else,i was told the pain iwas in was due too depression,only after getting a second opinion,did i get a referral.
    arthritis seems to run in my family with both my parents and one grandmother who suffers.does it run in familys? and do blood tests come back negative on a regular basis iwonder?
    this is the first thing i have ever posted on a forum,and hope to hear from people in due course.
    thank you for reading this

Hi

A big warm welcome from me.

It never seems to amaze me that when the medics do not know what is wrong with us then it is all in the mind.

They can take bloods for a while and nothing shows up. They take it again then something shows up.

They can do other tests such as scans, x rays, ultra sound, and more.

The people on here are all very nice and supportive, giving advise and tips.

We also like to relax and we go to CChat Forum, where there are many topics going on. We have a cafe as well. Why don't you pop in and have a cuppa with us. We don't bite, honest. :D

Well hope to see you posting soon.

Trish xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Janis

Just popping in to say hello and welcome from me too. Sorry you are still trying to find out a diagnosis and I hope the consultant can answer your questions. Many of us have learned that you do have to keep going back to your GP to get the help and support you really need. Do let us know how you get on and don't feel alone with it all. The lovely people here will offer practical advise if they can and send a hug if they can't. Hope to see you posting soon.
    take care
    Chris
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    just wanted to say hi and welcome call in the cafe (on chit chat) any time for natter to one and all
    val
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Janis!
    lovely to meet you. :D

hope you enjoy being part of this great forum. I've just been on this forum since November but love it ......everyone is supportive and helpful and there are a lot of laughs here too!!

I hadn't been on any forums before and was a bit unsure of how and what to say...now I can't stop. :oops: :!:

You'll find lots to read about the different kinds of arther on the forum and on the home page there are links to publications that are really helpful. Don't be afraid to ask any questions....there's no such thing as a daft question here.

look forward to chatting with you some more. Iris x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Hi there, just wanted to make you feel welcome. Come for a cuppa in the cafe when you feel up to it!

Annie
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi janic
    welcome to the forum, you will be well looked after on here, that's for sure. don't we just love Drs who say it is how you are feeling that is the cause. It is usually the cause that makes us feel the way we do, Dr !
    Fortunately some of us have very good GP's and consultants and some do not. You have to shout long and loud sometimes to get a result. I hope they give you a proper diagnosis and the best treatment available.
    Take care
    xx Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).