Loss of concentration

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 14. Mar 2010, 17:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I don't know if its the tramadol, the worrying, part of the disease or just me, but, I'm finding it REALLY hard to concentrate lately. I pick up the paper read a bit and then just find myself staring at the text, but not taking anything in. Its driving me mad and making me worry about driving, in case it happened then. Although, so far, its only when I'm relaxed and sitting down that it happens and if I get up and walk around I feel better the same driving, as I am thinking of the route or the traffic etc. it juts dosn't happen, its a bit scary though and one of the reasons that I don't drive for long at a time anymore. Anyone else notice it? Reading is especially hard, even when I'm interested.
Love Sue

Comments

• page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue
    i often lose concentration, sometimes even when talking about something and then i just go blank :shock: i know this happens to most people now and then but i have noticed it happening more since having RA.
    I personally think its the worry, ive always got something running around in my mind that i never fully concentrate on anything properly anymore, especially if in pain.
    im not a big reader, not for enjoyment anyway, but when i do read i often have to read the same bit 3 times :roll: cos ive read it but its not gone in.
    i do find it worse sometimes than others do you?
    Try not to worry about it
    Take care x
  • woodbon
    Hello Page,
    I think you're right, it is having so much to go over in your mind that
    makes it hard to give just one thing full attention. I know worry is'nt a good and pretty pointless but its so hard to stop, it works for a while then suddenly you realise that instead of reading, you'r off in another world! :roll:
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Get loss of concentration a hell of a lot,find it hard to stay focused and like others have said drift off, maybe be down to meds somewhat in my case (gabapentin) as i will often forget what i'm talking about and change the subject entirely or find it difficult to concentrate on something. Case in point needed to start filling in Gill's DLA application and just could not put my mind to it or concentrate, mind that could be sheer frustration and i ended up throwing a right wobbler in front of Gill, my brother and his partner but i'm like that trying to read or watch tv (my bro says i get "the 1000 yard stare lol :roll: ).
    Good theory about RA affecting us that way maybe it does.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sue,

Right there with you! I think Page has a point cus I worry so much and I don't loose concentration on that one at all! I got a bit of a problem with my brain and its effecting my eyes at the mo and I find I am more vague....... I can stammer, forgot in mid sentence and you know what I come out with the wrong word as well...... I meant elephant and I will say something stupid like dustbin...... It increases the worry then! hey you ever had someone talk to you and you don't understand the words? :roll:

In my case I blame lack of sleep, pain, worry and pregabalin as well as ........ age....... Oh flower I am right there with you and well we might both find we are better if we could stop the worrying eh? Luv and a ((( ))) who am I? ........ Oh...... Cris x All joking apart I can be that vague on a bad day :shock:
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Oh I do too and I'm sure it's since I've been taking so many tablets. I too would have to read the same paragraph several times, sometimes. :roll: I actually feel like my head will burst sometimes with everything I'm thinking about. I find that deep breathing and trying to relax helps, especially at night or when I'm resting.
    Hang in there, you are not alone.
    rita
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi, and I thought I was an odd one out. I loose concentration all the time, have stopped driving now and rely on my carer. It was just not safe for me to be behind the wheel. Reading a book, no chance, watching tv for anything more than a short while, no way. Getting totally mixed up with things, I gave the cat a spoon for his T the other day and put the food away.
    I agree, your mind is in a whirl most of the time and as for relaxing, only a chemical cosh has any effect now. Oh the joys of life !
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • woodbon
    Hi, I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I was begining to think I was going round the bend! I forget words and feel a right twit, sometimes!

Thanks for the replies, Lots of love Sue
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    me too x Im so glad its not just me x I thought was just losing it. Soemtimes mid conversation my friends and family will say hello!! :shock: and I realise Ive drifted off. :oops: Its awful because I used to have such attention to detail. Its one of the reasons I had to stop working as I kept making mistakes on accounts and also postpone my final degree year as I cant concentrate on the material well enough. It cant be the painkillers as I have had to stop taking them due to reactions so I think its the pain and general exhaustion that prevent sthe brain from taking stuff in xx

At least we can all relax in the knowledge we are not losing it and its just another aspect of RA we have to accept .

(((()))))) to all x
    Theresa
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Hi Sue,
    I suffer like that from time to time. Today has been one. I've been 'on the jig' all day ... can't settle. I settled down to go through all the threads and join in, but I just can't put my mind on it.

I forgot to take some of my meds. yesterday, including my steroids!!!!! Perhaps that has got something to do with how I am today. I've felt lousy. Shan't be doing that again I can tell you.

Hope you feel better and more with it tomorrow.
    Dolittle
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    I have terrible trouble with my concentration...having said that I did manage my degree but it wasn't easy. I was rubbish in my exams because I couldn't concentrate for 3 hours at a time. I had extra time and a scribe with me but I found it so hard. I also found revision difficult so I always chose modules with no exams at the end.

I also have problems with conversations. Halfway through talking to someone I say 'what were we talking about again?'
  • venita
    venita Member Posts: 56
    So good to know I am not alone my mind has been terrible lately I forget peoples names forget what I was saying I get up to get something and forget what I got up for.
    It can be really scarey at times.
    You statrt to doubt yourself also.
    Hope evryone is enjoying the sun shine today and Happy Mothers Day to you all.

Venira
  • 09angel11
    09angel11 Member Posts: 87
    Hi Sue

Like everyone else i lose concentration, also i get very forgetful. I can go into the kitchen for something, when i get there i have forgot what i went for, also iget lost in the middle of talking to some one, like i did this morning to my sister, i just stopped, could not remember what i was on about, but she is the same and not on medication or has arthritis. So you are definetely not on your own.

Take care

Monica :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sue

well I'm not all suprised with all that you've had going on lately :wink::wink:

Bets to try not to worry too much (it'll add to the stress), hey maybe we should all take up meditation??? :wink:

Take care Sue

Love

Toni xx
  • 09angel11
    09angel11 Member Posts: 87
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Sue

well I'm not all suprised with all that you've had going on lately :wink::wink:

Bets to try not to worry too much (it'll add to the stress), hey maybe we should all take up meditation??? :wink:

Take care Sue

Love

Toni xx

Toni

I think Meditation is a good idea, but knowing us lot we would forget why and what we are doing.

Love Monica x :roll:
  • susanjanemoon
    susanjanemoon Member Posts: 28
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi,
    I don't know if its the tramadol, the worrying, part of the disease or just me, but, I'm finding it REALLY hard to concentrate lately. I pick up the paper read a bit and then just find myself staring at the text, but not taking anything in. Its driving me mad and making me worry about driving, in case it happened then. Although, so far, its only when I'm relaxed and sitting down that it happens and if I get up and walk around I feel better the same driving, as I am thinking of the route or the traffic etc. it juts dosn't happen, its a bit scary though and one of the reasons that I don't drive for long at a time anymore. Anyone else notice it? Reading is especially hard, even when I'm interested.
    Love Sue
    Thank goodness its not just me. Over the past few months my concentration has got so much worse. I cant think straight at all, I keep blaming the tablets, but dont know for sure. Susan xx