Op or sack

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
Moring all, right does anyone on here know if an employer has the rtight to demand that you have surgery, but also can they sack you if you refuse to comply?. :?

Comments

• quietwaters
    quietwaters Member Posts: 288
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    crikey mellman, dont know about that one, but I wouldnt think anyone could force you to have surgery could they :? Whats actually been said then?
    I hope someone can help you with this one. Keep us posted.
  • mellman01
    Hi quietwaters, well I have just seen my union chap and he say's it's all pooh, they cant do that as any risk would be mine and not theirs, it's just politics I guess, did you read my reply on my working matters just numb right now post?.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Gosh mell
    I am sure no one could make you have surgery to keep your job, I do hope someone comes up with some answers for you very soon.
    They are causing you more stress, see if you can use that against them.
    You take care and keep us posted.
    Barbara,
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    HI Babara I have spoken to my union rep and he can't which sounds logical to me, although he has written to my surgeon to inquire if there is anymore he can do for me, right now it's sort of out of my hands so I can't do anything till I see him, once I have and if he say's he cant then they go to the seconed phase of incapability, it gets worse from there on in but I'm not going to post it openly on here just now all I will say is it's totally mad.
  • mellman01
    Hi Lynn yep talk about kick a cripple, I guess I am right in saying he is forcing me to have an op, the conversation was well you either have the op or you don't have a job, I think the surgeon will tell me to go away he did last time I talked to him, told me I'm to young and come back in 10 years.
    Union is still ssking info here but wont know much till next week, god I just hope I make the week out without any flares, right knee was firing up last night.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    mellman01 wrote:
    Moring all, right does anyone on here know if an employer has the rtight to demand that you have surgery, but also can they sack you if you refuse to comply?. :?

Answer:NO.Just let them try to........!!! :shock:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    And what op would your managers in their infinite medical wisdom like you to have??

My employer hinted along similar lines to me at one point (less outright - more inferred) - he said he could see I was struggling more, he'd heard (he had never asked me etc) that I had been putting off the inevitable (an op) ... wasn't it time I had it & he was going to refer me to occy health ...

At that time, like you my consultant was still saying he didn't want to op yet as I was too mobile and at that point I was in agreement with consultant. I was furious too. He never did make the referral, though I am much worse now and could do with him making one and now my consultant and I have agreed it is op time ...

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi mellman,

have sent you a PM about this....

They have NO RIGHT to insist you have an op and make continuing in your job conditional on having surgery..it is appalling and serious mismanagement.

It is also out and out discrimination and they are stamping all over your human rights with big hobnail boots!. It screams Equality and Human Rights!

Get everything in writing mellman!

Hope the union get there act together...they have the power, the money and the contacts, legal and otherwise, to challenge this.

Arther knows exactly when to strike :( timing perfect eh? go see your doc and get your meds looked at to see if you can be given something different or extra to keep arther at bay during this.

This is so stressful for you...have you considered speaking to the helpline? they were wonderful when I was stressed out of my box with the problems I had at work...it REALLY helps to talk things over with someone who understands about arther and who isn't emotionally or directly involved.

We are all behind you mellman. Sending you strength and hugs ((())) Irisx
  • mellman01
    Hi Dorcas got it have PM'd you back. Don't want a cold do you, I have one going spare.
  • dorcas
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi Dorcas got it have PM'd you back. Don't want a cold do you, I have one going spare.

Soooo generous of you mellman...but I don't want to be greedy and I can see how attached you are to that dribbling, sniffly, gungy cold...so just you keep it to yourself :!: :mrgreen:

Iris x
  • mellman01
    Hi Iris I feel like pooh today, again off sick but not with an OA flare which is on the plus side!, might go back in tomorrow can't take to much tom they are watching me 24/7 the buggers.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Go in, cough and splutter all over the bosses - and then they'll catch it too ...

Revenge is sweet!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dorcas
    speedalong wrote:
    Go in, cough and splutter all over the bosses - and then they'll catch it too ...

Revenge is sweet!

Speedalong

Ha Ha! great idea eh? mellman?

Pity you can't give them something a whole lot more toxic!!! :mrgreen:

Iris x
  • mellman01
    Hi Iris now there's an idea!, so I'm off to ebay to see if you can get hold of a swarm of live killer bees in a gift box, I'll address it to that cow in HR. :mrgreen: