OA at the beginning

only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 30. Mar 2010, 14:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi when did you first go to the doctor about your arthritis? and how has it progressed from then till now?

what was the symptoms you went to the doctor with? just wondering as it seems to me that this far from what used to be known as something that happened when you was older, but sadly that's not the case as age don't seem to matter, you read about kids having arthritis now that's hardly right, or is it we are just better at picking these things up, a bit like there more and more autistic kids being diagnosed.

I think mine has got worse since I was told I had osteoarthritis

sylvia
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, with my left hip I ignored it for as long as I could (about a year) and then when I couldn't bear it in any longer my friends persuaded me to go to the docs - I thought maybe it was dislocating again and needed popping back in (I was born with congenital dislocated hips). I was gutted when he told me I had OA. Tried physio, meds etc and 2 years later had a THR aged 30.

This time round, with my right hip - knew it was dislocating (this was picked up when had trouble with other hip.) Pain gradually got worse. Finally went to docs start of this year thinking it was getting worse ie more dislocated - and you'd think I'd learn by now - OA final stages - now waiting for another op.

Also have a bit of OA in knee.

You are right though the minute I knew the OA was back - I could swear it hurt more!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member Posts: 140
    Hi,

I'm only 41, and OA was diagnosed in my spine when I was about 26, so it's not just something that happens when you get older! I think that the internet possibly makes people more aware of what their symptoms might mean - though obviously you're correct, it's something that very many people develop as they age - hence the fact that it's sometimes described as 'wear and tear'.
    My OA is a hereditary type, which is probably why it started earlier.

My first symptom was a tendency to be in great pain when I woke, with the feling that my lower spine had sort of locked up in the night. When it developed in my knees, it was more a case of realising that my knees often got stiff and sore with relatively little walking. I also have it in my fingers - again, the main effect is stifness, sometimes swelling, in the morning. My GP says that the fact that the pain varies over time from almost absent to excruciating, with no obvious reason, is an indication of OA too.

Hope that's helpful & that you're not suffering too much.

Naomi
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi,I went to see my GP about 18 months ago because my thumbs were getting painful and I thought it may have been all the embroidery I have done over the years.Someone told me it could be RSI(repetitive strain injury).However,after blood tests etc my GP said I had OA and then a month after that he said I also had RA.A couple of months later the real pain started.First the hands and wrists,then knees and feet and most recently the shoulders and top of arms.I never realised that arthritis could be so painful and it's a daily battle to try and fight through the pain and stiffness. :( I do have the odd good day but those very few. Breane.
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Mine started in my finger with nodules 20yrs ago , I'm now 61 then progressed to my thumbs, spine, then my hips.. had a THR 6yrs ago and now have it in my wrists , ankles, knees and will need another Hip-replacement soonish.. so over the 20yrs its certainly progressed.
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Sylvia

On recently reading letters I wrote weekly to my mum and dad, 30 years ago, my off and on probs with my knees started in my early 30's. 28 years later I had a total knee replacement and 8 weeks ago the other one done. I am not sure exactly when OA/wear and tear was diagnosed. OA in my thumbs was diagnosed around 20 years ago when I was in my 40's. Symptoms that drove me to the docs were aches and pains.

My aches and pains just got steadily worse and more frequent over the years.

Luv
    elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi

I first went to the doctor about 10 years ago complaining about pain in my knee. I was told I had sciatica. I went back about 8 years ago and had an xray done - the results were never given to me. Four years ago I saw a new doctor who said I had arthritis and sent me for another xray and blood test. Results OA (very bad)
    in both knees. Signs prior to being properrly diagnosed were stiffness in joints after sitting or standing; pain; pain whilst sleeping; stiffness after sleeping; not able to bend.

Sharmaine

only49 wrote:
    hi when did you first go to the doctor about your arthritis? and how has it progressed from then till now?

what was the symptoms you went to the doctor with? just wondering as it seems to me that this far from what used to be known as something that happened when you was older, but sadly that's not the case as age don't seem to matter, you read about kids having arthritis now that's hardly right, or is it we are just better at picking these things up, a bit like there more and more autistic kids being diagnosed.

I think mine has got worse since I was told I had osteoarthritis

sylvia
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hi Sylvia,
    I first went to my GP around 2 years ago, for a few years I was having pain in my knee, hips and back, but just put it down to getting older.
    Like you say once they tell you what it is, you sought of dwell on it and it gets worse.
    The strange thing is, I can now go back to my teens, and remember having trouble with my legs when walking any distance, it didnt last long, so I wasn't taken to see our GP, I do wonder if this was connected in any way.
    Barbara x,
    Love
    Barbara
  • only49
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi, with my left hip I ignored it for as long as I could (about a year) and then when I couldn't bear it in any longer my friends persuaded me to go to the docs - I thought maybe it was dislocating again and needed popping back in (I was born with congenital dislocated hips). I was gutted when he told me I had OA. Tried physio, meds etc and 2 years later had a THR aged 30.

This time round, with my right hip - knew it was dislocating (this was picked up when had trouble with other hip.) Pain gradually got worse. Finally went to docs start of this year thinking it was getting worse ie more dislocated - and you'd think I'd learn by now - OA final stages - now waiting for another op.

Also have a bit of OA in knee.

You are right though the minute I knew the OA was back - I could swear it hurt more!!

Speedalong
    hi speedalong when i was told i had OA the doctor said its a bit young to have arthritis and not much you can do about it, so i suppose its just a case of living with it, but its not easy and the younger you are it must be really frustrating not being able to do what you know you should be able to do, and that's the part i find difficult, i think there is a lot of ignorance out there of what we have to put up with, best way of explaining what i mean is this way, a child with downs syndrome you can see there is a problem but an a child on the spectrum looks no different than any other person, guess there will always be ignorant people out there, maybe if that where in our shoes that wouldn't be so
  • only49
    woodbine wrote:
    Hi,

I'm only 41, and OA was diagnosed in my spine when I was about 26, so it's not just something that happens when you get older! I think that the internet possibly makes people more aware of what their symptoms might mean - though obviously you're correct, it's something that very many people develop as they age - hence the fact that it's sometimes described as 'wear and tear'.
    My OA is a hereditary type, which is probably why it started earlier.

My first symptom was a tendency to be in great pain when I woke, with the feling that my lower spine had sort of locked up in the night. When it developed in my knees, it was more a case of realising that my knees often got stiff and sore with relatively little walking. I also have it in my fingers - again, the main effect is stifness, sometimes swelling, in the morning. My GP says that the fact that the pain varies over time from almost absent to excruciating, with no obvious reason, is an indication of OA too.

Hope that's helpful & that you're not suffering too much.

Naomi
    hi naomi as long as i don't push it and listen to what my body telling me and do what i am doing to help with the pain, eg , heat pain killers, and plain common sense then i can cope as long as i dont push it, the worse i find is not being able to walk only short distances so frustrating :x :(
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    I started with pains in my toes in July 09. My GP originally thought it was metatarsalgia and I was given painkillers. Toward Christmas, the pains, swellings and lack of mobility spread through my entire body from toe to neck. I was referred to the Rhumatologist in January and got my appointment for February and after bloods and x-rays was diagnosed with generalised osteoarthritis basically everywhere.

Ive seen an OT, got an appointment for Podiatry in April and I start hydrotherapy physio sessions tomorrow at my local GP surgery. Ive been very lucky to get treated so quickly and my GP has been wonderful. I was surprised how many younger people are suffering with Arthritis.

But I can only accept whats happened and get on with my life and make my boys as happy as I can.

One thing is for sure, Id recommend this site to anyone for advice or support, its been wonderful for me and Im sure many others.

Caroline x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    I was diagnosed with PA 14yrs ago but had signs and symptoms for quite a few years before that which I hadn't realised were arther.....sore red & swollen fingers (thought were 'chillblains) sore shoulder and elbow (thought was tennis elbow), sore lower back (thought I had just strained it)
    Eventually went to the doc when I noticed that I could no longer straighten my arm but was very dismissive of being referred to rheummy and just wanted physio to 'put it right'.(duh!)

Took a year to diagnose as I don't have the skin disease and of course blood was negative for RF.

Refused any treatment by rheummy as I was in total denial and convinced he was talking rubbish :oops: (what an idiot!........me, not the rheummy!)

3yrs later had a lower back op and then elbow op. Last year had a wrist fusion and this year..in June..will have the other total wrist replacement.

My lovely orthopaedic surgeon (looks good as well as being an excellent plates & screws man) tells me I need more surgery on the fused wrist and fingers and knees ops will be following after that.

Like lots of other peeps I have been through lots of the anti inflams, DMARDS and painkillers and am now waiting to start my third anti tnf. I'm on Mtx injections, tramadol, amatriptyline and oxcycodone (which I keep for special occasions)

The worst for me has been trying to come to terms with having arther. I just could not, would not accept it even though I was on the heavy duty meds and had the ops (I am THAT stubborn). I also hid the extent of what arther was doing from friends, family and work :roll:.
    It has taken really until VERY recently for me to be able to admit to having this bloody (sorry) long term disease and to finally accept that I have a disability.

The forum and helpline has transformed how I see myself and having the understanding and support of all the wonderful peeps here ....and their complete acceptance of me .....has allowed me to accept myself WITH arther. It's been a lifeline.

I have waffled on..as usual! :oops: :oops:

Iris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi,
    when i was told i had OA the doctor said its a bit young to have arthritis and not much you can do about it, so i suppose its just a case of living with it, but its not easy and the younger you are it must be really frustrating not being able to do what you know you should be able to do,

This ignorance is not helpful is it. The whole "get on with it" malarky. Instead the medics should be giving us info - about the importance of keeping active and mobile and HOW. About pain relief - ice, heat and meds. About listening to our bodies. About how eventually we may to consider surgery etc etc

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.