Adjusting back to work

dopeykit
dopeykit Member Posts: 107
Hello all,

My first time in this bit of the forum so be nice :lol:

I've just started back at work after 2 months off with PA (also have OA of the spine). I'm back part-time in a great job that I enjoy.

Work have been v emotionally supportive but I'm relied upon a lot both by my own team and by my bosses. My hours have adjusted but my work load really hasn't. They are terrified of me going off again but on the other hand seem to want me to sort/run everything. I've seen our OH people but they are just sooo useless (generally they want to wrap you in cotton-wool).

I'm beginning to feel unwell again and stressed which isn't like me. My boss sort of nods sympathetically and joins in about how hard she finds work but that isn't really the point! I don't know what to do - I'm pretty sure HR havent been kept up to speed and I am thinking about asking to see them but I also want to get those around me to help me prioritise.

It's just so frustrating - this always happens and I'm worried I went back too early again.

Sorry for the rant - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Kit
www.cookingwitharthur.com
Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis

Comments

• markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dopeykit wrote:
    Hello all,

My first time in this bit of the forum so be nice :lol:

I've just started back at work after 2 months off with PA (also have OA of the spine). I'm back part-time in a great job that I enjoy.

Work have been v emotionally supportive but I'm relied upon a lot both by my own team and by my bosses. My hours have adjusted but my work load really hasn't. They are terrified of me going off again but on the other hand seem to want me to sort/run everything. I've seen our OH people but they are just sooo useless (generally they want to wrap you in cotton-wool).

I'm beginning to feel unwell again and stressed which isn't like me. My boss sort of nods sympathetically and joins in about how hard she finds work but that isn't really the point! I don't know what to do - I'm pretty sure HR havent been kept up to speed and I am thinking about asking to see them but I also want to get those around me to help me prioritise.

It's just so frustrating - this always happens and I'm worried I went back too early again.

Sorry for the rant - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Kit

I can't help you but i have to say how typical it is that you are still no better off than you were.
    As for HR depts............. :roll:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Kit :(

Poor you.

At least your work value you vlaerly, but you HAVE to get it thorugh to them that the work is too much at the moment...have you got a policy and procedures handbook or anything to refer to for advice as to teh correct way forward??

If not you have to speak to your manager again and tell him as it is :(

Before you end up off again.

Good luck

Toni xx
  • markc1
    ther go,s me ! kit if there scared about u going sick again you have the upper hand, be brave stand up for your rights, going back part time means less work not shorter hours packing in the same amount of work :(

I totally agree...you are doing the same work on less hours therefore proving you can manage ok.
    Go back on the sick and wait for them to come to you,you have told them once thats enough.Stand up to them,its your health that counts! :roll:
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Thanks guys. Hilariously my manager said yesterday that I must be feeling poorly again because I was back at work and said she was sure I wouldn't like that because I like work (this was with no sarcasm) but then didn't say 'so we should see how we can improve things so it doesn't make you ill' - about as much practical help as a smack in the face with a wet fish!

So I'm going to do just as you suggest and wind them up :lol: I will let you know how it goes.

kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oooh! KIT!!!

I will watch this space .... :shock: :shock:

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Kit,

just catching up on your post... :wink:

your employers sound just like mine were.....benevolent! which is as bad as being complacent........ as they don't do anything.!

It's a problem when they make all the right noises...and even reduce your hours, but if they still expect you to cover the same amount of work but in a shorter time then that is just not on. :x and you're right you will end up back off work and ill again. :roll:

If HR are not doing their job properly (numpties most of them) might be worth you including the union and asking for a review of your return to work so that you can discuss round the table exactly how unrealistic their expectations have been since you came back and the stress this is causing.

No mention of DDA?

Iris x
  • markc1
    It has a familiar ring this tale and how many times do we say it,don't rely on the DDA its not being adhered to by most companies because its not worth the paper its written on. :(