any ideas for sleeping comfortable

only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 29. Apr 2010, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi

when i had a day like today trying to get comfortable is not as easy as it would be for someone else, i am the sort of person that cant sleep on her back and has to sleep on her side, and during the night i change from front to back so could so with getting comfortable as much as possible, i have one of these cushion pads that i sleep with between my knees but as you all know if your in pain its harder to get comfortable, any ideas

sylvia
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sylvia, I bought a body pillow/bolster from Mothercare (the type recommended for mothers to be,) it supports the whole of my top leg when I'm lying on my side and part of my trunk as well. I did buy a cheaper one - but it quickly became flattened and then was not good - this one maintains it plumpness with a bit of plumping up each day. Really helps - and better than the knee cushion thing - I had one of those before.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi. Nothing worse than being uncomfortable - we've enough to deal with!

I use a standard Dunlopillo, wedged either lengthways between the legs (covers knee to ankle) or widthways (to support the upper thrown-over knee when side sleeping.) A friend lent me a bodypillow but it was too skinny, and The Husband protested. Still working on sleeping separately - better for both of us! Strongly recommend the pillow as a general introduction to sleeping with foreign objects in the bed. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Sylvia,

I have a cushtie which is very lightweight and moved around easily under the bedcovers to prop up different parts of me ...examples on the website below.

http://www.prezziesplus.co.uk/gfh10/cushtie-original.html?gclid=CN-99ZWzqqECFVWY2AodolHcCw

I also have a memory foam mattress topper cost about £120 and a memory foam pillow, also these help support your joints and when your body weight if off them they gradually regain their original shape.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • puffin
    puffin Member Posts: 67
    Hi Sylvia,

A problem I find is an overstuffed pillow or pillows. I like the top one to be half stuffed so I can mould it round my neck, not so thick that my head is bounced every time I move. Over the years I have tried man-made fillings and natural ones. I keep coming back to the latter.
    Just a few days ago I delved in a cupboard to find a new pillow I bought last summer for a guest. It was one of John Lewis' finest---Siberian goose down and feather no less. It was soft but far too plump for my liking. I set too, as in the past, unpicking a few stitches in the seam, putting my hand carefully in, grasping a handful of filling and slowly extracting it to place the down and feathers in a plastic bag. Well of course no amount of care was going to prevent some escaping. It did--on my trousers, on the settee, on the carpet. The slightest draught of air wafted the down across the room. Soon it looked as if snow had fallen indoors. Having judged the amount left in the pillow I stitched it up and tied up the bag. Then followed a very painful time as I tried to sook up the 'snow' with the vacuum. Job eventually accomplished I was exhausted but triumphant.
    The test came. (Think princess and the pea story.) That first night my head sank in the soft hollow of this top pillow. Bliss. I slept well. My problem now?
    My sleep has become deeper and longer and I wake up so very stiff, hot and weak.
    We can't seem to win, we only seem to alleviate one problem to worsen another!
    Puffin

lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Sylvia,

I have a cushtie which is very lightweight and moved around easily under the bedcovers to prop up different parts of me ...examples on the website below.

http://www.prezziesplus.co.uk/gfh10/cushtie-original.html?gclid=CN-99ZWzqqECFVWY2AodolHcCw

I also have a memory foam mattress topper cost about £120 and a memory foam pillow, also these help support your joints and when your body weight if off them they gradually regain their original shape.

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :)
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello,
    For me, I have a memory foam mattress cover and pillow with a thin, soft pillow under the memory foam pillow.

The occupational therapist can suggest things like splints for hands etc. I'm sorry that I can't give you any real help, as it depends where the pain is and what is causing it, like say the bed clothes. Can you ask to talk to a OT? They should be able to help.

Good luck, love Sue
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    At the moment I'm actually sleeping on our summer duvet, folded over for double the comfort! It is getting a bit warm now, so I've bought a mattress topper which I hope will be just as comfy.

Was great in the winter months tho'!

Lois x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I have always had problems with getting comfortable to sleep and this was compounded when I was pregnant - if it wasn't my joints it was my bump or even both it was a nightmare
    However for the first time ever my husband listened to me and surprised me with a new mattress - its not on our bed but on the spare bed which is where i retreat to when i'm having a bad night and its a semi memory foam semi sprung firm mattress and its wonderful when i'm sore
    However i'm sure a memory foam topper would work just as well and be cheaper
    I mostly go for the pillow between legs or adopting a very bizarre position to sleep which puts as little pressure as possible on my hips or knees without lying on my front or back properly...it usually takse about 20mins of wriggling to settle into it each night :roll:
    Chrissie
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    hi just it just goes to show we are all suffering in the same way to get comfortable to be honest i was starting to wonder if i was going to have to get up but finnaly put a small pillow under my knee and it did settle down, i do hate getting out of my bed when i,m in it anyway tonight should be better as i feeling really tired so early night for me tonight.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    I have major sleep deprivation but on the odd occasion I get a good nightws sleep I wake up curled and locked stiff and painful and it takes me hours to get moving. I dont know which is worse. I think some of my sleep problems are that I constantly find myself flexing my joints all night long which I suppose reduced how stiff they are by morning althought they still are stiff. :shock:
    between a rock and a hard place!!

Hope you all find a way of relaxing and getting a good nights sleep and if you do give me a shout and a tip!!!! :lol:

Love Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx